Will Lidl pull out of Bedlington

Tonyp

Why would it? It's a business, it needs shops to make money. People will still drive German cars, too, believe it or not.

Cars? BMW,Mini Coley Oxford Vauxhall Elsmere Port,Bentley Motors Crewe, Rolls Royce Goodwood,G M manufacturing Luton all German owned employing thousands of Brits what would happen if they pulled there UK operations more ghost towns.

They have loads of willow tree cuttings so it shouldn't cost them anything when they have to leave the site as they found it.

As they will probably stay for at least 2 years (as long as they have started Bedlington's clause 50).

They could have a separate counter from the ones selling EU produce, selling Granny Smiths and willow tree cuttings.

I Remain optimistic.

Eggy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tonyp said:

As Lidl is a German Company would it pull out of its Bedlington store as most of its prouducts come from the E.U. Maybe they'll employ people who voted to remain.

No, most of their products don't come from the EU.  The sort of stuff I buy from them here comes from the Far East and a lot of that is factored through Milomex in the UK.

Leaving the EU could actually make the UK a sweet place for Lidl to do business in. Let's say for example that the the Brussels Bureaucrats issue a directive that all batteries must be bright red because it makes them easier to sort from the rubbish.  But Lidl's buyer in the Far East finds a batch of otherwise excellent batteries that are green.  The buyer knows he can't sell them in the EU but he can sell them in the UK because the UK government doesn't try to manage every detail of its citizens lives.  Buyer says OK make me some red batteries at your list price, but I will take that lot of green ones off your hands at half price as part of the same shipment.  UK customers get a much better deal on batteries than continental Lidl customers, and continental buyers pay the bulk of the shipping container charges - the UK rapidly becomes THE place for Lidl to sell all sorts of things at bargain prices leveraging its huge buying power, but with its normal sane quality controls.

BTW why should people who voted Leave be discriminated against simply because they don't conform to your rigid mindset?  I really can't believe that was a serious remark though; please tell me you were joking?

Maybe when when the migrants go back home & there is nobody to pick fruit or Veg from the farms silly Boris & his right wing cronies can come up with a new plan. Maybe people who spend there dole money in the pubs can do the picking plenty of farms will need the Britsh public help on that one..

17 minutes ago, threegee said:

No, most of their products don't come from the EU.  The sort of stuff I buy from them here comes from the Far East and a lot of that is factored through Milomex in the UK.

It must depend on what sort of stuff you buy. The sort of stuff I buy from Lidl's comes from Germany and France.

13 minutes ago, Tonyp said:

Maybe when when the migrants go back home & there is nobody to pick fruit or Veg from the farms ...

I'm dreading the first Midsummer Eve celebration without EU! With 30 people to feed I hire in a couple of Polish people to dig up new potatoes, pick strawberries, and cut chives. You can't get your hands on a single Swede that day. They are all out celebrating. Maybe this fine Scandinavian tradition will have to come to an end?

1 hour ago, Tonyp said:

Maybe when when the migrants go back home & there is nobody to pick fruit or Veg from the farms silly Boris & his right wing cronies can come up with a new plan. Maybe people who spend there dole money in the pubs can do the picking plenty of farms will need the Britsh public help on that one..

If they (Poles) are in the country legally and behaving themselves they have established rights under international law and can't be told to go anywhere.  Freedom from the EU is about getting our country back from Brussels control - so's we can say who comes in the future.  It's about giving everyone in the world a fair chance of doing jobs we need to be done, but keeping out the criminals, terrorists, and dregs of other countries who want to leech on our welfare state.

Boris is a lot brighter (and more patriotic) than anyone in your international Marxist outfits.  I won't vote for him, but the people who do vote for him do so for good reasons, and scoffing them when you have absolutely no answers yourself is in itself risible.

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

Haha. I'm all for people having power.

Translation error: he actually meant kraft till en marxist clique

2 hours ago, Tonyp said:

but if the migrants went home wages would have to go up and English people might want the work

45 minutes ago, rosco said:

but if the migrants went home wages would have to go up and English people might want the work

It has to be through natural wastage I'm afraid.  All we can do is to stop any more coming, though we could pay them to go. As Merkel has proved, paying other countries to solve your own illegal economic migrant problem can be very expensive.  Though I reckon we could send the bill to A. Blair Esq. as he's mostly responsible and seems to have pretty deep pockets.

When Enoch Powell suggested paying a few migrants to go way back there were howls of outrage from the left, but they aren't howling at Merkel and the EU for some strange reason. Rounding up illegals is quite another matter, but then here do you send them that will have them? 

10 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

No error, I assure you. Perfect translation.

When did you meet up with Tony's Hate-No-Hope friends?  Likely not when they were physically intimidating some poor pensioners who didn't agree with them.

15 minutes ago, threegee said:

When did you meet up with Tony's Hate-No-Hope friends?  Likely not when they were physically intimidating some poor pensioners who didn't agree with them.

I don't even know who Tony's Hate-no-Hope friends are. I've never heard the expression before so I don't know if I've met up with them or not. Why do you read something non-existent into everything that's said? I made a simple statement that the translation was correct. Unlike yours which used the English word clique. The Swedish word is klick, same pronunciation - different spelling. Never mind, at least you Google translate got the genus right!

Edited by Canny lass

6 minutes ago, Tonyp said:

3G not to worry mate,we will live in the past you never know the glove factory,welwyns,muters might become a force again how much would you work for?

Money isn't - and has never been - my main ambition in life.  For the last 10 years I've worked for nothing on things I truly believe in, and things which interest me. I can do this because I have very modest tastes (never took a holiday for practically all my working life), and now live in a place where the things I actually need generally cost less. You?

I'm not sure what you are actually getting at.  Are you saying that the wages there were derisory?

38 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

I don't even know who Tony's Hate-no-Hope friends are. I've never heard the expression before so I don't know if I've met up with them or not. Why do you read something non-existent into everything that's said? I made a simple statement that the translation was correct. Unlike yours which used the English word clique. The Swedish word is klick, same pronunciation - different spelling. Never mind, at least you Google translate got the genus right!

Be advised that I was under no illusions that I'd used the Swedish form of the word, and was relying on the intelligence of the reader.

If you didn't get so hung up on the presentation all the time you'd have a far better chance at deriving meaning.  Though, admittedly, Tony often taxes my own ability to derive true meaning beyond limit.

OK, there's a 't' in there too, and you reverse the order of the first and last words - but my version is far more appropriate. :)

18 minutes ago, Tonyp said:

Welwyns pay was ok not the other 2 on par with bolkows at cambois

But the glove factory went bust didn't it?  It provided much needed employment at the time, so are you saying it should have paid more and gone bust sooner, or paid less and have kept going longer?  Or... is there an alternative view?

24 minutes ago, Vic Patterson said:

Enough to feed the family, but if you give enough money without working why would you work? which means someone else has to work more to have you stay at home! 

You don't believe in the work ethic then?  The other way of looking at the stay at homes is that they free up work for someone who needs it more.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now