Terrible things that will NOT now happen..

threegee

"Rather than companies relocating to the EU as was claimed the reverse is happening:"

That's one company; the word 'companies' refers to more than one. I could easily find you links about how many of those at the head of UK business are very concerned about Brexit, and believe it to be very bad for the UK economy, but you could do that also, and you are well aware of it. I'll be more than happy if businesses across the world suddenly relocate here, it would be great for the country as we all know, but I'd like them to be those that don't up sticks and leave when the government isn't nice to them about unpaid taxes, like these guys did last time. 

"BTW I have not the faintest idea of what an "Oxford comma" is! " Really? That does surprise me, as you appear to know everything about everything else. For the record, it's a sort of one of these - , 

Today's recovering pound versus US dollar watch: 76 and a half pence! The recovery continues apace.

• Like 1

"How many rapes and other atrocities have Muslim "refugees" committed in Sweden this week?"

Good question; how many have they committed in the the UK this week, 3G? Actually, I take it back, it's a ridiculous question, for a few reasons; first, you fall into the old trap of believing the Daily Mail nonsense that there are no refugees (your " " denotes this, or why use it) and second, you also repeat the old mantra that these people are coming over here, raping our women, and committing widespread atrocities. You probably also believe they are taking our jobs, stealing our dogs and eating them, and perhaps living in luxury in billion pound mansions in Knightsbridge. Of course, all of the above is bollocks. This is the sort of comment that makes me wonder whether I should actually pay any attention to your apparently well thought-out and considered comments. Perhaps I should make a direct comparison to Damascus, which has been reduced to rubble; you seriously compromise your credibility with nonsense such as this. 

2 hours ago, mercuryg said:

"Rather than companies relocating to the EU as was claimed the reverse is happening:"

That's one company; the word 'companies' refers to more than one. I could easily find you links about how many of those at the head of UK business are very concerned about Brexit, and believe it to be very bad for the UK economy, but you could do that also, and you are well aware of it. I'll be more than happy if businesses across the world suddenly relocate here, it would be great for the country as we all know, but I'd like them to be those that don't up sticks and leave when the government isn't nice to them about unpaid taxes, like these guys did last time. 

Actually it's two if you count the potential for new Land Rover production.  You ignore the essential point that the mass relocation of business isn't happening, or even being considered.

Not "are very concerned" but were sounding very concerned.  Economist group-think also affects business leaders, but there were also many business leaders who saw the upside who's views weren't given full exposure by a largely EU compliant media.

You are referring to Jim Ratcliffe, and in no way did he want to not pay the taxes due.  He asked for a little flexibility in scheduling, and like many things EU no flexibility was forthcoming because one size fits all.  Well... we have the flexibility now, and you are going to "be more than happy" when we use it to the advantage of the people of these isles.  I'm more interested in home-grown enterprise than imported, but both will happen.

A further eurozone crisis is just months if not weeks away, and we are still too attached for comfort.  October does not look good.

4 hours ago, mercuryg said:

"BTW I have not the faintest idea of what an "Oxford comma" is! " Really? That does surprise me, as you appear to know everything about everything else. For the record, it's a sort of one of these - , 

Today's recovering pound versus US dollar watch: 76 and a half pence! The recovery continues apace.

I know about what I know about and say clearly when I don't know.  I don't give a XXXX about the "Oxford comma", and deploy commas where it seems logical they should go.  Also I don't constantly imply you are a "know all", even though a lot of what you say is unreasoned leftie cant - though often tinged with some interesting economic realism.

As I've already said there is nothing to recover from - the pound is fine just where it is.  If Italy could devalue its currency like that it wouldn't be the economic basket case it now is and people here wouldn't be really suffering.  Actually, it would now need to devalue by over three times the UK adjustment, and the debt spiral continues.  I think the Italian politicians could say to hell with the ECB and recapitalise the banks anyway, but bank recapitalisation isn't enough as it is still labouring under a currency that is now about 35% overvalued.

I think the sad truth is that there's no other visible affects of the Brexit vote to point to, but you really really want there to be negatives.  Prove me wrong here; open your eyes to just some of the many positives, and stop talking down our great country.

2 hours ago, mercuryg said:

"How many rapes and other atrocities have Muslim "refugees" committed in Sweden this week?"

...You probably also believe they are taking our jobs, stealing our dogs and eating them, and perhaps living in luxury in billion pound mansions in Knightsbridge. Of course, all of the above is bollocks. This is the sort of comment that makes me wonder whether I should actually pay any attention to your apparently well thought-out and considered comments. Perhaps I should make a direct comparison to Damascus, which has been reduced to rubble; you seriously compromise your credibility with nonsense such as this. 

You entirely miss the point - it was rhetorical.  The point is that we don't know the extent of the problems in Sweden because there is an establishment cover-up taking place.  The ruling elites are covering up the consequences of their own pet political theories.  Like CL they are in all-out denial mode.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/13/sex-assaults-sweden-stockholm-music-festival

If there is more than a handful of genuine refugees - as you seem to believe - then why are they practically all young males?

15 hours ago, threegee said:

"It’s enough that it’s a newspaper!"  Wow, how nice to live in a world of absolutes, and such certainty!

Time after time you've done nothing of the sort. University degrees don't trump hard experience - the rehearsal is not the show!  You repeatedly talk down the press, and talk up academics, yet the same economic forces hold for both.  So, what precisely have I claimed to be an expert on?  Here you've plucked a remark I made in a photo comment about TV aerials from over half a century ago in order to disparage me, and done so without any knowledge of my engineering and financial management experience or accomplishments.  I think that maybe your "specializing in one subject" could be viewed as the apocryphal person with a hammer (i.e. viewing everything as a nail). The world has more facets than any of us can ever behold, and a full appreciation of that fact only comes through age and experience - and certainly not through lexical analysis.

On your second "challenge":  You know that I can only speak from experience.  My experience is that practically everything that appears in the Telegraph about the Tory party will turn out to be correct, and that's not the case with any other publication.  Obviously journalists don't (and mostly can't) reveal their sources, but (libel laws aside) they do have reputations to maintain, and thrive or not by their acquired reputations. No, you can't simply dismiss it with a trite they "manipulate text to sell copies".  I suspect that many academics only maintain their reputations by proxy i.e. much of what they churn out is so thoroughly uninteresting that no one critical ever studies it.  And, whether is is relevant or not to the ascent of man becomes itself a proxy issue.

BTW I have not the faintest idea of what an "Oxford comma" is! :D

" Wow, how nice to live in a world of absolutes, and such certainty!”

Well, you would know all about that.

“Time after time you've done nothing of the sort.“

Then you haven’t been paying attention you naughty boy!

“University degrees don't trump hard experience”

No, indeed they don’t. How fortunate that I had 25 years of hard graft in nursing to complement them, before joining academia at the age of 50. I have three nursing qualifications so, 6 of those years were spent as the lowest of the low (student) cleaning up bucket loads of every unpleasantness that the human body can possibly exude from its many orifices. I also had to clean the bucket!

“You repeatedly talk down the press and talk up academics”

I repeatedly complain that the press is unreliable but, as far as I remember, I have only discussed ONE academic. That’s hardly “repeatedly”.

“So, what precisely have I claimed to be an expert on?”

You don’t overtly claim to be expert on anything. However, in applying Boolean logic, viz. everything anyone else says is wrong so everything I say must be right, you are taking a firm stance for being an expert on everything.

“Here you've plucked a remark I made in a photo comment about TV aerials from over half a century ago in order to disparage me”

I plucked the remark from my memory of having rented a TV from you many years ago and I did not do it to disparage you. How can that be disparaging? Didn’t you just say that “hard experience” is at least as valuable, if not better, than university degrees?

“without any knowledge of my engineering and financial management experience or accomplishments.”

Are you sure?

“I think that maybe your "specializing in one subject" could be viewed as the apocryphal person with a hammer (i.e. viewing everything as a nail).”

It could be viewed as many things – but only by someone with an open and receptive mind, so I’m not unduly worried by that remark.

“The world has more facets than any of us can ever behold”

Agreed.

… “and a full appreciation of that fact only comes through age and experience”

Agree, but only in part.  Age and experience do allow us to appreciate that the world has more facets than any of us can ever behold – but it’s not ONLY age and experience that allow us to do this. My 9 year old grandson, to give just one example, has neither age nor experience on his side and is never the less able to appreciate the same thing every time he sits down to his homework.

…  “and certainly not through lexical analysis.”

Can’t agree with you there, I’m afraid. It’s a darned good complement to age and experience – providing you understand it.

“On your second "challenge":  You know that I can only speak from experience.”

I know nothing of the sort! When speaking from experience and not stating proven facts it is usual to introduce a degree of modality into the sentence, such as:

It may be so that …., Possibly…., In my experience…, I believe… or even “My experience is” …. I do not see any of these in your statement that The Telegraph “has multiple direct lines into the heart of the Tory government”. You are making an assertion. You are not alone. Newspapers do it all the time.

My experience is that practically everything that appears in the Telegraph about the Tory party will turn out to be correct, and that's not the case with any other publication. “

Wow, how nice to live in a world of absolute certainty!

“Obviously journalists don't (and mostly can't) reveal their sources, but (libel laws aside) they do have reputations to maintain, and thrive or not by their acquired reputations.”

Well, they are clearly revealing their sources to someone, as you seem to know all about them. And, why doesn’t that assertion apply equally well to professors?

“No, you can't simply dismiss it with a trite they "manipulate text to sell copies". “

I just did. Prove me wrong. Give me the names of the direct lines I asked for, which you clearly have information on.

“I suspect that many academics only maintain their reputations by proxy i.e. much of what they churn out is so thoroughly uninteresting that no one critical ever studies it.” 

Well, that’s an improvement. You are “suspecting” rather than asserting. You’ll get the hang of this credibility thing soon, I’m sure of it (BTW,you’re doing well with your reduced use of adjectives. Much more pleasant to read. Keep up the good work)!

No proxy involved, I’m afraid. If research is to be published as a free standing work, I believe it must first go to opposition by his/her own departmental peers and the current leading authority (it's not only the credibility of the professor that's at stake but even that of the university). Invited to the opposition are any other academics with an interest from within or without the university. It may surprise you to learn that they churn out some very interesting things – for those who are themselves interested.

These works are very critically studied by everyone undertaking post-graduate studies. It’s all part of the course..

Why are you deriding the educational system of your own beloved country?

“BTW I have not the faintest idea of what an "Oxford comma" is!:D ” 

When you see an English word

Which you haven’t ever heard

Don’t dismiss it at first sight

Look it up and get it right.

Can’t remember for the life of me who said that. May have been Göran Rönnerdal, but don’t quote me on that. Not even sure if it is word for word, so no quotation marks, but I’m sure you get the drift.:)

On 2016-07-19 at 02:07, threegee said:

I've explained why this article is authoritative in the reply to CL.

No you didn't. 

You claimed that the article must be correct because you knew of "direct lines to the Tory government". That does not make any newspaper article authorative. You havent yet been able to prove the existence of these direct lines or indeed that the information which they convey is correct. I await the names of these s.c. 'direct lines'

6 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Now, now mercuryg, give credit where credit is due. He did actually admit to not knowing something and I think that's a breakthrough worthy of applause.

4 hours ago, threegee said:

The point is that we don't know the extent of the problems in Sweden because there is an establishment cover-up taking place.  The ruling elites are covering up the consequences of their own pet political theories. 

"an establishment cover up", eh? My word you do have inside information on a lot of things - number of islamistic activists in the UK, number of rapes in Sweden, direct lines to the tory government and now this!

You may just have read way too much Enid Blyton as a youngster.

4 hours ago, threegee said:

If there is more than a handful of genuine refugees - as you seem to believe - then why are they practically all young males?

They come from a patriarchal society where females are not deemed capable of making the journey.

Young males, in any animal group, have a higher hierarchy placing than women and old males

Working on the principle that the strongest of the species will survive, the young males are chosen to emigrate.

It’s not more complicated than that.

Many years ago i was extremely frustrated when assigned the care of delusional patients. I asked one of my nursing tutors how i could avoid this frustration. He gave me the following advice:

• listen to what the patient has to say
  • acknowledge the patients underlying feelings
  • don't engage in argument - the delusion is pathological
  • always bear in mind that at the end of your shift your peace of mind will be restored. The patient's will not.

It was good advice then and it's good advice even today. Delusional and paranoid thinking can not be influenced by discourse so I gracefully bow out of this discussion (I use the word loosely). I will listen, acknowledge underlying feelings and refrain from engaging in what is a meaningless persuit. That may also give a modicum of peace of mind to the delusional and paranoid.

6 hours ago, threegee said:

He asked for a little flexibility in scheduling,

That's brilliant; I think I'll try that, I'm sure they will be more than happy for me not to pay my tax on time.So, l

"If there is more than a handful of genuine refugees - as you seem to believe - then why are they practically all young males?"

So, let me get this straight, you actually think that there are only a handful of refugees? Seriously? Here's the short answer to your question: they're not. There are figures out there - you're good at accessing links, so go on, have a look. Unless, of course, you'd prefer to link to a picture on the internet and say 'look, they are all men!' Which is a Britain First style of trolling, and you don't want to be associated with them, do you?

"there is nothing to recover from - the pound is fine just where it is."

What? The reason I keep posting updates on the pound/dollar is because, among your things that would not happen, you clearly stated it was recovering. It's not.

On 19/07/2016 at 20:41, Canny lass said:

He also said that Boris Johnson would be next Prime Minister - and he isn't:

“The former London Mayor [Ken Livingstone] said Brexit would usher in Boris Johnson as Prime Minister so he would think about "emigrating to somewhere the economy is not going to collapse".

His comments, in his local newspaper the Ham and High, come just days after it was reported Labour bosses had blocked him from making media appearances after deciding he was "uncontrollable".”

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/73826/ken-livingstone-brexit-could-make-me-leave-country

"Someone who should be admired for "having the guts" to readily admit they were stupidly wrong." Really?

Yawn!  The usual diversionary ad hominem attack - this time on good old Red Ken.

1. I agree with hardly anything Ken says.
  2. BUT I think Ken is an honest man who says what he genuinely thinks.
  3. Ken recently spoke about Nazism and made some interesting, utterly factual, observations.
  4. The Labour Party doesn't like the truth, and failing to shut him up suspended him.  (To use your words: shame on them.)
  5. Unlike yourself I don't feel any need to agree with anyone to give them credit for being honest and transparent.
  6. Ergo: Yes, really!

[Don't worry, I'm working through the other reams of rambling misconstrued garbage and diversionary off-topic stuff, as time permits.]

20 hours ago, mercuryg said:

"there is nothing to recover from - the pound is fine just where it is."

What? The reason I keep posting updates on the pound/dollar is because, among your things that would not happen, you clearly stated it was recovering. It's not.

Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to quote the actual phrase you referred to in your assertion?  (This would have enabled more accurate syntactic analysis by cohort CL.)

Do you want Sterling to fall, or do you want it to rise, and against what reference?  A simple question, and a straight answer would be nice.  In the absence of an answer your position looks a bit like the position of the Labour Party on many issues: we will will cherry pick reality to suit our narrative, even if the overwhelming body of evidence says we were utterly wrong.  My own position is clear: "the pound is fine just where it is."

Today's rate is well off the recent lows and maintaining a fairly steady €1.20 and that's just fine.  All hell is about to break lose in the Eurozone, so you'd be well advised not to bet against your own house.  As I've already said, our problem now is that we are still far too close to the EZ for comfort, as we have been foolishly committed to the ESM for political reasons.  Unlike yourself I truly hope I'm wrong, and that the ESM demands won't roll in.  If they do it will be political dynamite, and another affirmation of the urgent need to leave.

Edited by threegee

2 hours ago, threegee said:

Yawn!  The usual diversionary ad hominem attack - this time on good old Red Ken.

1. I agree with hardly anything Ken says.
  2. BUT I think Ken is an honest man who says what he genuinely thinks.
  3. Ken recently spoke about Nazism and made some interesting, utterly factual, observations.
  4. The Labour Party doesn't like the truth, and failing to shut him up suspended him.  (To use your words: shame on them.)
  5. Unlike yourself I don't feel any need to agree with anyone to give them credit for being honest and transparent.
  6. Ergo: Yes, really!

[Don't worry, I'm working through the other reams of rambling misconstrued garbage and diversionary off-topic stuff, as time permits.]

I think I'm understanding that you are irritated. Try to think of something other than politics for a while. How's the weather in Italy at the minute? Are you still caught up in the middle of a heatwave? 

1 hour ago, threegee said:

Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to quote the actual phrase you referred to in your assertion?  (This would have enabled more accurate syntactic analysis by cohort CL.)

I sense a feeling of dispair. Try to think about something else for a while. Try one of those lovely ice-cream sandwhiches - soft ice-cream in a bread bun - that they sell in Sicily. Do they sell them on the mainland as well?

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

I think I'm understanding that you are irritated. Try to think of something other than politics for a while. How's the weather in Italy at the minute? Are you still caught up in the middle of a heatwave? 

Yes, I'm irritated that you are exploiting the rules to post off topic here. (Though nothing like as irritated as you get when I wind you up).  But, you know, (forum) rules are the rules, so please go tell the people who are bad losers, and who you are supporting, this.

The norm is not the subject for conversation here, and you become acclimatised after three or four years..  We just have to hunker down in a pool, and maybe order a new aircon now and then.  And, of course, there's siesta.  If you can't afford the (politically) inflated electricity prices - they are far higher for non-residents (politics, again) - you can always go to a shopping mall and use their aircon over an unbelievably cheap cup of coffee until near sundown.  It's a hell of a life, but it still beats the frozen North for most of the year.  Pity about the economy being trashed by the ECB, but things will change; the Italians may be slow at times (this is balanced by the need for speed), but they certainly aren't stupid..

Was there still too much politics there?

I understand that you are feeling stressed. Try to relax. Think of something pleasant - w

3 hours ago, threegee said:

Yes, I'm irritated that you are exploiting the rules to post off topic here. (Though nothing like as irritated as you get when I wind you up).  But, you know, (forum) rules are the rules, so please go tell the people who are bad losers, and who you are supporting, this.

The norm is not the subject for conversation here, and you become acclimatised after three or four years..  We just have to hunker down in a pool, and maybe order a new aircon now and then.  And, of course, there's siesta.  If you can't afford the (politically) inflated electricity prices - they are far higher for non-residents (politics, again) - you can always go to a shopping mall and use their aircon over an unbelievably cheap cup of coffee until near sundown.  It's a hell of a life, but it still beats the frozen North for most of the year.  Pity about the economy being trashed by the ECB, but things will change; the Italians may be slow at times (this is balanced by the need for speed), but they certainly aren't stupid..

Was there still too much politics there?

I understand that you are feeling stressed. Try to relax by thinking of something pleasant - what was the happiest day in your life for instance?

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Have you got r(em)ain? we're singing and dancing in 28 degrees of sunshine!

Unfortunately no rain. The thermostat, in the middle of the house (front South facing) hasn't dropped below 24.5 in three days and nights. Highest was 28 so I guess the sitting room was above that. I'm melting, the wife is loving it. 

Had to visit Seghill Comrades club, north facing bar, on Tuesday lunch time to keep cool.

So the one terrible thing that will NOT happen is I will continue to visit the Comrades - the rest of the drinking establishments have Seg_exit_ed.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now