Terrible things that will NOT now happen..

threegee

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

the 'loca'l economy - is that the same thing as The Red Lion?

The Red Lion is certainly an element of such, yes. Indeed, it's great exchange rate in the Lion today; a pint for £1.69.

And, due to Brexit there will be no more foreign investment in the UK...

Except the largest ever investment in history!

SoftBank to buy UK chip designer ARM in $32 billion cash deal

Maybe those dumb Japanese investors haven't heard about the imminent collapse of the UK economy? 

Would be nice if the dumb Japanese investors were to put their money into UK businesses that actually manufacture something here, rather than those that deal almost solely in intellectual property, and get the hard work done cheaply abroad. Oops, I wasn't going to comment on political things; perhaps I'll make an exception for those I know something about, or who happen to have been clients of mine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Would be nice if the dumb Japanese investors were to put their money into UK businesses that actually manufacture something here, rather than those that deal almost solely in intellectual property, and get the hard work done cheaply abroad. Oops, I wasn't going to comment on political things; perhaps I'll make an exception for those I know something about, or who happen to have been clients of mine.

ARM Holdings employs four thousand people in the UK. ARM do not "deal ... in" IP they create it!  The $32Billion goes straight into the hands of mainly UK based technology funds and investors (like Herman Hauser and some of my long-term investor friends) who will reinvest a lot of it into UK technology. This, of course, has nothing to do with politics or the sclerotic, outdated, EU - it's about real business!

My feeling is that we don't need the BBC when we have you and CL to talk down the UK.  Yes, please make an exception, and talk about something you know just a tiny bit about.  BTW how much do you have invested in British technology companies?

The ARM deal is one of Japan's biggest overseas ventures and the latest in a parade of Japanese companies seeking growth abroad as the domestic economy stagnates.

From a British point of view, the capital investment is so big that it covers approaching three months of the country's huge current account deficit, according to Kit Juckes, head of currency strategy at Societe Generale.

Uncertainty surrounding the vote to leave the EU in last month's referendum has raised fears that foreign investment, which is vital for covering the current account deficit, might fall.

ARM Chief Executive Simon Segars told Reuters the board had been impressed with SoftBank's promise to increase jobs at ARM, its willingness to engage the British government, and the 43 percent premium the group was willing to pay.

On 17/07/2016 at 09:43, mercuryg said:

What damage would that be specifically? 

Great question; why don't you ask your mates in the business world? They might be able to enlighten you. Or, of course, you could simply continue to believe that the pound (76p this morning!) is recovering, and everything is hunky dory in the world of finance, as the Guardian tells you.

" we will surely see some resurgence in what's left of our fishing industry, etc.etc."

Why, and how? You do realise we will still be governed by EU quotas, surely? You honestly don't think that we will suddenly have utter freedom? ReallY/

Brian asks: "Question for 3G when will Brexit begin ?"

Even better question, this! There could be several answers, Brian; 1) when someone has the guts to handle it (i.e. never) 2) when Theresa May decides (never) or 3) never,  It won't, because it's a daft thing to do.

My friends these days are investors, and they are not all UK based or of UK nationality. They can't help me with the question I directed at you because they don't have any problem.  But, apparently, you do have a problem yet fail to advise as to what that problem specifically is.  Here be dragons really isn't good enough these days (as Duplicitous Dave discovered quite recently).

Put your money where your mouth is and make me a bet that Article 50 won't be invoked (and/or the European Communities Act (1972) revoked) within one year of today's date.  I will happily pay up even if I'm just one day long.

17 hours ago, Canny lass said:

It's not only the Telegraph that's used "ruled out an emergency budget" in its headlines. Most of them, however, say something else in the text. Here's a small selection:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36792202

14 July 17, 2016: He added he did not anticipate the need for an emergency Budget as a result of the Brexit vote.

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2016/07/14/475139/Britain-Brexit-Philip-Hammond-Chancellor-Exchequer-Theresa-May

Hammond said in his first interview on Thursday morning as the Chancellor of the Exchequer that there will be no “plan for an emergency budget,” following the country’s June 23 vote to leave the European Union.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3689669/New-Chancellor-Philip-Hammond-says-NOT-Brexit-punishment-Budget-threatened-George-Osborne-takes-No-11.html#ixzz4EgTMNDsZ

Mr Hammond said: 'There is no plan for an emergency budget,

My comment: I have no plans for a holiday abroad next month, neither am I anticipating snow in September - does that rule out the possibility of either actually happening? 

I quoted from the Torygraph because it has multiple direct lines into the heart of the Tory government.  If I'd wanted to convey what Rupert Murdoch felt on an issue I'd quote from The Times. e.g. The Times got it quite wrong in it's "inside info" on some of May's appointments, though, granted, its mischief did put her into power.

The operative word was emergency, and that emergency stemmed from the sudden affects of the Brexit vote.  Budgets come along with regularity and are well signposted. There is a logical linkage between cause and effect, no?

emergency:

1.  a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action.

This linkage is undoubtedly bidirectional:  no immediate action, no emergency!

Do you take emergency holidays abroad?  Most people book holidays well in advance, but in case you haven't you'll need a plausible(?) excuse!

http://www.careeroverview.com/blog/2010/100-reliable-and-ridiculous-excuses-for-calling-out-of-work/

My choice:  #61. There was a car accident. (Because the driver started to discuss the linguistics of the screamed warning.)  That will surely do it!

17 hours ago, mercuryg said:

It was meant as a humorous aside; besides, you've patronised me plenty other times. I read plenty articles; not all of them agree with this one. Anyway, I'm officially bored of politics, and will henceforth revert to commenting on local issues.

Really?! :o  If so I'd like to apologise. What am I apologising for?

I've explained why this article is authoritative in the reply to CL.

“I would personally start thinking about emigrating to somewhere the economy is not going to collapse.”

Ken Livingstone -- June 2016

“All the predictions of an economic collapse were wrong, all that turned out to be wrong. It was nonsense quite frankly, economists never get it right.”

Ken Livingstone -- July 2016

Someone who should be admired for "having the guts" to readily admit they were stupidly wrong.

Oh ARM are brilliant, a classic example of making the most of a fast moving technology market. My disappointment is that its British only in having been founded here; it's a multinational (nothing wrong with that); I'd like to see the date Japanese bankers invest in UK manufacturing. 

Of course, 3G, I'll talk about something I know about: the pound. 76p on the dollar today. I hope I have to wait ages for this recovery you assure me is happening. Oh, and the Duckworth Leeis method; I know about that. It's fun. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, threegee said:

My feeling is that we don't need the BBC when we have you and CL to talk down the UK.

You use the verb ‘to talk down’ in its transitive form and are therefore accusing me of disparaging and belittling my country of birth. That’s a very serious accusation. May I just remind you that:

It’s not me who, publicly and almost daily, derides the work done by Her Majesty’s democratically elected, Government

It’s not me who, publicly and almost daily, applies derogative nicknames to the, democratically elected, Prime Ministers who have headed that government

It’s not me who criticizes the social security system of my own country

It’s not me who belittles the educational system of my own country

It’s not me who disparages the British constitution or the laws of my own country

And it’s certainly not me who derides fellow, law-abiding British citizens because of their ‘legally’ chosen religion in their own country!

SHAME ON YOU!!

A challenge; show me ONE instance of my disparaging the UK and I will show you ten instances of you doing that very same thing.

17 hours ago, threegee said:

I quoted from the Torygraph because it has multiple direct lines into the heart of the Tory government.  If I'd wanted to convey what Rupert Murdoch felt on an issue I'd quote from The Times. e.g. The Times got it quite wrong in it's "inside info" on some of May's appointments, though, granted, its mischief did put her into power.

I do not give a jot about where you quoted from. It’s enough that it’s a newspaper! You appear to be missing the whole point of my argumentation viz. NEWSPAPERS ARE NOT RELIABLE SOURCES OF INFORMATION! But then again, you appear to know about journalistic bias. You describe it perfectly in the first two sentences of the above quote.You could have added: 'and if I'd wanted to convey the truth I would have quoted the Beano'.

I am not arguing politics. In or out of the EU makes no difference to me. If we are in then nothing has changed. You and I will continue as we are – immigrants with Germanic surnames. If we are out then you and I will still be immigrants with Germanic surnames but we’ll then have one foot in each camp, so to speak.  

Time after time, on level after level, I have demonstrated that newspapers manipulate text to sell copies. I’m a linguist by profession. I work with text. Get over it! Oh, I'm forgetting, a university education and a handful of degrees mean nothing. Maybe, instead of specializing in one subject, I should have spent six years setting up television aerials instead and become an expert on everything.

Now, another challenge; you state quite categorically that The Telegraph “has multiple direct lines into the heart of the Tory government”. You state it  in a declarative sentence – That's to say, something which the writer knows to be true.  Name these multiple direct lines! If you can name them I personally will write to each and every one of them, ask if it's true, and publish their replies here (yes, I know that's an Oxford comma but I quite like them and they are rapidly gaining ground in the English language).

BTW the genitive 'its' has no apostrophe. ;)Thought I'd just add a smiley because that seems to make everything alright.

15 hours ago, threegee said:

“I would personally start thinking about emigrating to somewhere the economy is not going to collapse.”

Ken Livingstone -- June 2016

He also said that Boris Johnson would be next Prime Minister - and he isn't:

“The former London Mayor [Ken Livingstone] said Brexit would usher in Boris Johnson as Prime Minister so he would think about "emigrating to somewhere the economy is not going to collapse".

His comments, in his local newspaper the Ham and High, come just days after it was reported Labour bosses had blocked him from making media appearances after deciding he was "uncontrollable".”

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/73826/ken-livingstone-brexit-could-make-me-leave-country

"Someone who should be admired for "having the guts" to readily admit they were stupidly wrong." Really?

18 hours ago, threegee said:

http://www.careeroverview.com/blog/2010/100-reliable-and-ridiculous-excuses-for-calling-out-of-work/

My choice:  #61. There was a car accident. (Because the driver started to discuss the linguistics of the screamed warning.)  That will surely do it!

I'm afraid this one's got me beat. I've sent it off to a few former colleagues to see if they can make head or tail of it. 

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

You use the verb ‘to talk down’ in its transitive form and are therefore accusing me of disparaging and belittling my country of birth. That’s a very serious accusation. May I just remind you that:

It’s not me who, publicly and almost daily, derides the work done by Her Majesty’s democratically elected, Government

It’s not me who, publicly and almost daily, applies derogative nicknames to the, democratically elected, Prime Ministers who have headed that government

It’s not me who criticizes the social security system of my own country

It’s not me who belittles the educational system of my own country

It’s not me who disparages the British constitution or the laws of my own country

And it’s certainly not me who derides fellow, law-abiding British citizens because of their ‘legally’ chosen religion in their own country!

SHAME ON YOU!!

A challenge; show me ONE instance of my disparaging the UK and I will show you ten instances of you doing that very same thing.

You are talking down your own country in repeatedly implying that an emergency budget may be necessary when every bit of economic news says it's surely not.

I did not vote for "Her Majesty’s democratically elected, Government" and have every right to point out its deficiencies - it's called democracy!  We live in a free country, though that may no longer be true where you now live.

Cameron is a proven liar, even (no, particularly) his own party don't trust him.  He's history now, and I have never criticised May; that's because so far she has acted honestly, even though I may not entirely agree fully with the direction we are now going in.  If you follow the news you'll observe that May has made it very clear that she too is appalled by the way the Eton crowd have been playing games with the management of the country.

Refer me to a copy of this constitution that I disparage, and point out this actual disparagement please?

Of course you don't criticise: you live in a society where the truth has been taken hostage, and anyone who speaks it is labelled an extremist.

Would you be talking about Shariah law there or the one the rest of us obey?  How many rapes and other atrocities have Muslim "refugees" committed in Sweden this week?  Sorry, but I don't want my country to turn in to the basket case that the liberal left has turned Sweden into.  France is now waking up to its fate, and you are not going to like what now happens there one little bit, but that is where you apologists for a primitive belief-set that has no place in the modern world are taking much of Europe.

I have nothing to be ashamed of, and please keep the school marm lectures and hectoring back in school - where they belong!

I am not implying that an emergency budget may be necessary. I am merely pointing out that not all newspapers agree with the newspapers you quote.

If you don't use your vote that's entirely your business.

You may criticise whoever you wish - but, SO MAY EVERYONE ELSE!

Cameron is a proven liar Farage is a proven liar, Osborne is a proven liar, the Millibands were proven liars. It's apparently only you who tells the truth.

"Refer me to a copy of this constitution that I disparage, and point out this actual disparagement please?" The UK constitution has no single document to which I can refer you, We have an uncodified constitution, being as it is the accumulated laws and principles of the land. Therefore I must refer you to ALL acts of parliament, statutes and treaties - including those you disparage: human rights relating to freedom of speech and religion being top of the list. I've pointed them out to you on several occasions. (use the search facility).

Of course I criticise - you do not have sole right to criticism. I clearly criticise newspapers and your interpretation of their content.

I would be talking about the law of the UK. I have no religion and do not favour either Shariah law or the ten commandments.

According to my information, there have been no rapes,  or other atrocities committed by Muslim "refugees" in Sweden this week.

is Sweden a basket case? I'm not qualified to say. I've only lived here thirty years. You would probably know better.

What happens in France, while tragic, is not affecting me one bit.

I am not an apologist for a primitive belief set. I do not believe one word written in the bible - or any other holy book.

I have not given any school marm lecture (believe me you would know if I had) Perhaps you are just feeling like a naughty boy in a corner? Neither am I trying to frighten you. What I am doing is using my right to point out deficiencies (i think that's what you called it).

Did anybody say you should be ashamed of anything? I wonder why that thought came into your head?

I've said it before and I'm saying it again. It is not my intention to threaten you yet you are clearly feeling threatened. I am trying to show you that there are two sides to every story. OK, you own this sand pit and you can throw me out whenever you wish. However, if you've also invested in your own bucket and spade then I suggest you use them to dig yourself out of the hole you are presently digging yourself into.

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I do not give a jot about where you quoted from. It’s enough that it’s a newspaper!...

Time after time, on level after level, I have demonstrated that newspapers manipulate text to sell copies. I’m a linguist by profession. I work with text. Get over it! Oh, I'm forgetting, a university education and a handful of degrees mean nothing. Maybe, instead of specializing in one subject, I should have spent six years setting up television aerials instead and become an expert on everything.

Now, another challenge; you state quite categorically that The Telegraph “has multiple direct lines into the heart of the Tory government”. You state it  in a declarative sentence – That's to say, something which the writer knows to be true.  Name these multiple direct lines! If you can name them I personally will write to each and every one of them, ask if it's true, and publish their replies here (yes, I know that's an Oxford comma but I quite like them and they are rapidly gaining ground in the English language).

"It’s enough that it’s a newspaper!"  Wow, how nice to live in a world of absolutes, and such certainty!

Time after time you've done nothing of the sort. University degrees don't trump hard experience - the rehearsal is not the show!  You repeatedly talk down the press, and talk up academics, yet the same economic forces hold for both.  So, what precisely have I claimed to be an expert on?  Here you've plucked a remark I made in a photo comment about TV aerials from over half a century ago in order to disparage me, and done so without any knowledge of my engineering and financial management experience or accomplishments.  I think that maybe your "specializing in one subject" could be viewed as the apocryphal person with a hammer (i.e. viewing everything as a nail). The world has more facets than any of us can ever behold, and a full appreciation of that fact only comes through age and experience - and certainly not through lexical analysis.

On your second "challenge":  You know that I can only speak from experience.  My experience is that practically everything that appears in the Telegraph about the Tory party will turn out to be correct, and that's not the case with any other publication.  Obviously journalists don't (and mostly can't) reveal their sources, but (libel laws aside) they do have reputations to maintain, and thrive or not by their acquired reputations. No, you can't simply dismiss it with a trite they "manipulate text to sell copies".  I suspect that many academics only maintain their reputations by proxy i.e. much of what they churn out is so thoroughly uninteresting that no one critical ever studies it.  And, whether is is relevant or not to the ascent of man becomes itself a proxy issue.

BTW I have not the faintest idea of what an "Oxford comma" is! :D

8 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

SEEK HELP! You are sick!

Really?!  I'm tempted to say physician heal thyself, but will simply say goodnight!  :D

18 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Of course, 3G, I'll talk about something I know about: the pound. 76p on the dollar today. I hope I have to wait ages for this recovery you assure me is happening. Oh, and the Duckworth Leeis method; I know about that. It's fun. 

I hope you enjoy the favourable exchange rate for a good long time, though I certainly won't be complaining when it improves. :)

Around two fifths of UK-listed companies run their finances in the stronger dollar currency, which could lead to exchange rate gains of just over £2.8bn in the second half of the year on top of the £1.4bn already booked in due to the pre-Brexit pound slump.

Brexit’s plunging pound brings dividend bonanza

IMF slashes UK growth forecasts after Brexit - but Britain will still outstrip Germany, France and Italy

Obviously a quite different IMF from this one:

IMF says Brexit would trigger UK recession

Lagarde, who was in London on Friday to present the fund’s annual health check on the UK economy, said it was possible the economy would shrink in two consecutive quarters, which is the definition of a recession.

“We have looked at all the scenarios. We have done our homework and we haven’t found anything positive to say about a Brexit vote,” she said.

The IMF said a panic among investors would trigger shockwaves throughout the economy following a vote to leave, sending shares and property prices into downward spiral.

Rather than companies relocating to the EU as was claimed the reverse is happening:

Ineos moves international HQ back to UK

Interestingly:

Yesterday the tycoon said this has now happened and that he might also enter the car market, resurrecting the Land Rover Defender which was discontinued earlier this year by Indian owner Tata.

Following a feasibility study, the vehicle could be built in the North of England.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now