Terrible things that will NOT now happen..

threegee

Migrant camps will not move to the UK after Brexit, admits France

Migrant camps will not move to the South East of England now that Britain has voted to leave the European Union, the French Government has said.

Downing Street had warned during the referendum campaign that a Brexit could lead to migrant camps springing up in Kent if France refused to honour a 13 year old agreement.

In a statement on Friday, the French Government said the agreement would not be ripped up and would continue to stand.

This means that the camps, such as the notorious "jungle" which was dismantled in March, will continue to be sited near Calais.

Always difficult to understand how this was going to occur, but maybe there was a cunning plan to issue free microlight aircraft to illegals and provide them with a crash (oops!) flying course?  And, of course, as the whole point was to get to the UK wouldn't they just disappear into the towns if they did get across The Channel?

Big one this: Nando's (Portuguese) Chicken Restaurants will not close down as earlier claimed.

"No need to worry, Nando’s is here to stay. There is no truth in any rumours suggesting otherwise," it replied to one user, before later tweeting: "Right, let's put these rumours to bed. We are definitely staying in the UK!"

7 hours ago, Brian Cross said:

Once again flying proudly

224915_10150883655638580_46275470_n.jpg

Why was it not before, Brian? That is, after all, the English flag.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Christopher Doyle said:

Because we were told we couldn't in case it upset our EU visitors.

I asked the same thing on facebook. Is it OK to say we are English now? And fly our flag again without the risk of upsetting anyone?

RACIST!!  ;)

• Like 2

On 25/06/2016 at 11:50, Christopher Doyle said:

Because we were told we couldn't in case it upset our EU visitors.

I asked the same thing on facebook. Is it OK to say we are English now? And fly our flag again without the risk of upsetting anyone?

Who told you that, Chris? Where and when, precisely? And have you heard of any EU visitors being upset? Why on Earth did you think you had to ask if it was OK to say you were English, or to fly your flag? Seriously, and it gets my back up big style, it is this sort of ridiculous - and false - belief that fans the flames. You probably also believe we are expected to say 'Happy Holidays' rather than Christmas as it offends Muslims (hint: it doesn't, they just don't celebrate it) or that the word Easter was banned from chocolate eggs this spring (hint: it wasn't) or that Nativity plays in junior schools are now required to be similarly amended for fear of offence (interesting fact: Muslims, and a lot of European countries too, have similar tales of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, so why would it offend them?)

I ask once again, in all seriousness, who told you that you couldn't fly the Cross of St George? (He was, of course, a foreigner anyway).

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Thanks for saving me the time Pete!

I've seen many articles like this. How true they all are relates exactly back to the reason I didn't vote... you can't believe anything printed in the paper, or on line, and only half you hear from the people who were there at the time.

Personally it never stopped me from flying anything. Nothing was ever said to me personally to stop.
Brings me back to another point I made... How can we be law abiding citizens if we don't even know the laws we are breaking?
Without being a student of law, we simply can't, and have to rely on hearsay and [un]common sense.

• Like 1

Do you notice who is sitting behind Nigel in seat 165, taking it all in, moe?  It's Marco Affronte of Five Star and they are waiting until October to give Juncker THEIR version of Nigel's speech on behalf of Italy.

• Like 1

Sky and the BBC did a hatched job on Nigel's speech and only showed the part when he was booed. but gave a full boring version of the Queen of Scotland prattling on and on about what she is going to do

Edited by moe19
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, moe19 said:

Sky and the BBC did a hatched job on Nigel's speech and only showed the part when he was booed. but gave a full boring version of the Queen of Scotland prattling on and on about what she is going to do

Fish-face will get nowhere with this - let her prattle.

I laughed when that Scottish MEP (don't know his name, don't care) stood up and said Scotland supported the EU, when it's a plain fact that nigh-on 40% supported Brexit!

• Like 2

I asked Chris who told him not to fly it; nobody did. I also would like to know, as I said, of instances where foreigners have actually been offended, rather than reading oft-repeated stories of jobsworths asking for flags to be taken down in case of such, which is all the linked articles are about. I know of, and doubt any of you do, one incidence of any Muslim - or for Chris's sake European- complaining about the flag. It's always idiot do-gooders making assumptions on others beliefs. And I mean always.

• Like 1

That may be so Merc, but still didn't stop people telling me the story.

Like I say, 90% of what people know about law is what people they look up to say about it. 
People I look up to tell me stories of people being told not to fly them. I took it as a truth.
I really can't be bothered to look up instances of actual fact, as it was meant 'tongue-in-cheek' anyway.

• Like 1

"That may be so Merc, but still didn't stop people telling me the story."

This is entirely my point: you believed the story! In these days of instant communication and extended reach, one story becomes a Facebook fact before you know it, yet each one of us has the ability to find out what is, and what is not, fact in a matter of seconds. How many of those stories above, for example, are actually as stated? I'd venture that, if you look into each one, there is an element of exaggeration involved, as the actual story may not be sensational enough to grab the reader. I mean, I actually had someone tell me, in all honesty, that they were voting Leave because the EU implemented stupid rules such as the one banning straight (or curly, whichever version you believe) bananas; another cited the well known 'fact' that the EU directive on cabbages amounts to 27000 words, and so on. Both are complete bollocks, and take mere seconds to find. I'll give you a good tip here: walk into the Red Lion now and you'll see a line of flags, Cross of St George, strung up across the bar. They clearly haven't been told it might offend someone, and I'd guess the rest of the Wetherspoon pubs in England are also flying them. 

• Like 1

Shares rally to hit pre-Brexit levels
Posted at 18:18

The FTSE 100 has surged through the level it closed at last Thursday, recovering all of the ground it had lost in the wake of the Brexit vote.

The FTSE 100 share index closed up 3.6% at 6,360.1 after a flurry of last-minute trading.

At the close of trade on Thursday last week, before the referendum vote, the FTSE 100 ended the day at 6,338.10.

The markets didn't crash - despite the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation doing its very best to engender financial panic - and the people who sold the UK short got their fingers burned.

• Like 2

The markets didn't crash? Really? My friends in the business say otherwise, or is this another area where you are expert, and nobody else knows anything? Shares in the financial, property and industrial spheres have shed bag loads over the last few days - try asking people with money invested there - and the pound is falling faster than ever. Good for me, of course, as I currently get 74p for a dollar, where it was 66p this time last week. Get real, this is a genuine, economic mess that is only going to get worse. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can forget everything that Siemens said, and the pressure on its staff to vote remain.  Everything will be all right post-Brexit.

Siemens boss Joe Kaeser vows to invest in UK in Brexit U-turn

“We’re here to stay,” Joe Kaeser, Siemens chief executive, said at an event at the House of Commons on Monday.

“The UK matters with or without being a member of the EU. The Brexit vote will not diminish our commitment to your country. Siemens will not leave the next generation behind, ” Kaeser said.

On 6/29/2016 at 19:30, mercuryg said:

The markets didn't crash? Really? My friends in the business say otherwise, or is this another area where you are expert, and nobody else knows anything? Shares in the financial, property and industrial spheres have shed bag loads over the last few days - try asking people with money invested there - and the pound is falling faster than ever. Good for me, of course, as I currently get 74p for a dollar, where it was 66p this time last week. Get real, this is a genuine, economic mess that is only going to get worse. 

You really don't live in the real world do you Merc!  Our pension funds are way up since last month, and the pound is now recovering too.  Not too far I hope, for the sake of the UK economy.  If you don't want to believe me then believe The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/jul/11/george-osborne-us-britain-brexit-stock-markets-sterling-business-live

I'm really happy that you get more in wages; so be happy too, and stop sounding like that eternally miserable robot from Red Dwarf.

I've news for you - THERE ARE NO FINANCIAL EXPERTS!  But I've consistently done better than average on the markets over the last forty years or so by investing when others are pessimistic, and creaming a bit of profit off when they are over optimistic.  Sorry if you don't like that, or if you think it sounds like a boast (it's not really, it's only a bit of applied common sense), but I'm not going to lie about it to make you feel better in your anti-reality cocoon.

There is a huge debt burden worldwide and competitive money-printing, but it's worse in the EU where a lot of the inefficiency is concealed.  We are better off out, and that's what five former chancellors have been telling you - if only you'd listen to them!

"the pound is now recovering too. "

What? Are you serious? The pound is recovering? In what world do YOU live in?! I'm sure I said before that I get paid in dollars, and as they don't accept dollar payments in the Red Lion, I have to exchange them for good old sterling. This very morning, right now, I can get 76p for my dollar; that's better than it was on the fateful day of Brexit (or worse, if you're not me!) That, my friend, is the real world, one where I know how many quid I get for my dollar today, and how many I got a few weeks back (considerably less, if you're interested). The pound recovering? I laughed so hard my head almost fell off. You know that famous climate chage hockey stock chart? Have a look at the exchange rate map today, and get some reality into your head. I fear you've been indoctrinated with bullshit that fits your view, and haven't bothered to click a few buttons and find out the truth. I'll repeat - 76p to the dollar; when was the last time that happened?

British+Pound%3A+CURRENCY%3AGBP+quotes+%26+news+%E2%80%93+Google+Finance+2016-07-14+10-56-02.png

Low of 1.27 now 1.32 looks like an upward trend to me. 1 week of rising pound with only a small blip yesterday. It's a very small sample of course but so is the less than a month from June 23rd you're basing your constant doom mongering on @mercuryg 

Time will tell I guess :) 

2 hours ago, mercuryg said:

I'm sure I said before that I get paid in dollars, and as they don't accept dollar payments in the Red Lion, I have to exchange them for good old sterling. This very morning, right now, I can get 76p for my dollar; that's better than it was on the fateful day of Brexit (or worse, if you're not me!) That, my friend, is the real world, one where I know how many quid I get for my dollar today, and how many I got a few weeks back (considerably less, if you're interested). The pound recovering? I laughed so hard my head almost fell off. You know that famous climate chage hockey stock chart? Have a look at the exchange rate map today, and get some reality into your head. I fear you've been indoctrinated with bullshit that fits your view, and haven't bothered to click a few buttons and find out the truth. I'll repeat - 76p to the dollar; when was the last time that happened?

Mercuryg excuse my ignorance in financial matters but am I correct in thinking as you are paid in dollars you are now better of  when you exchange from dollar to pound

.http://www.exchangerates.org.uk/USD-GBP-exchange-rate-history.html 

Is devaluation of the pound  also set to aid  UK-based companies whose earnings are predominantly overseas.

Edited by moe19

Two more doom monger predictions that didn't happen:

1 )  It's now official (from the new Chancellor) that an emergency budget isn't required.

2 )  Cameron puppet Carney has been outvoted 8 to 1 in his quest to slash interest rates - the entire MPC thinks he is overreacting.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now