Terrible things that will NOT now happen..

threegee

Sounds wonderful! Myself, I'm enjoying this all too short summer here in the frozen north. Unfortunately i blinked yesterday and missed half of it! I would like to think we'll get a few more sunny days so that I don't have to start stoking the boiler but alas, I'm thinking that will NOT now happen. Only this morning I heard rumours of polar bears roaming the streets of Gothenburg and eskimos seeking residence permits in Stockholm. 

2 hours ago, webtrekker said:

It must be a huge pressure on the Swedish economy then to provide more local authority igloos.

Not at all, Webtrekker. The building material is a natural commodity in abundant supply all year round here in the frozen north and the council is only too happy to let anybody, resident or not,  take care of it - it saves them the job - and people building and owning their igloos are saving the council the cost of building and maintenance.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I understand that you are feeling stressed. Try to relax by thinking of something pleasant - what was the happiest day in your life for instance?

The 24th June 2016.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mercuryg said:

No 3G, I just like to remind you you were wrong! It's fun! 

Merc, did you notice that your Remainian friends are talking about you in the Torygraph?

To everyone’s relief, the economic impact of the Brexit vote has so far not been as bad as many – including me – feared it might be. Well, perhaps not everyone, for there is nothing quite as galling as to be proved wrong. For many of those who warned of catastrophe, a recession is still greatly to be desired – so as to punish voters for their own stupidity, as it were.

This is a natural enough reaction, but it is not at all constructive, particularly when it comes to business, where success depends on the ability to adapt and respond opportunistically and optimistically to any change in circumstance.

How Brexit can set Britain free to boom again

17 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I understand that you are feeling stressed. Try to relax by thinking of something pleasant - what was the happiest day in your life for instance?

17 minutes ago, threegee said:

The 24th June 2016.

Surely the happiest day of anyone's life is always 'today'. Everyday we wake up has to be the the best day of one's life. One day we wont wake up, celebrate today.

4 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

Surely the happiest day of anyone's life is always 'today'. Everyday we wake up has to be the the best day of one's life. One day we wont wake up, celebrate today.

Most people answer 'the day my first child was born'. We all have our priorities.

12 minutes ago, threegee said:

Merc, did you notice that your Remainian friends are talking about you in the Torygraph?

How Brexit can set Britain free to boom again

You are upset again. I understand. have you ever considered taking up poetry? Losing oneself in the flow of the verse can be quite soothing. Just now the local poetry group is reading the works of Kipling. Yesterday we read his wonderful poem ‘If …’, I’m sure you know it, the one that begins:

If you can keep your head while all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you …

Of course I read it many years ago in school but with age and experience in my rucksack it somehow takes on a whole new meaning.

Do try it.

On 20/07/2016 at 17:22, Canny lass said:

"an establishment cover up", eh? My word you do have inside information on a lot of things - number of islamistic activists in the UK, number of rapes in Sweden, direct lines to the tory government and now this!

You may just have read way too much Enid Blyton as a youngster.

Yes, I know, I know, all journalists, of all political persuasions  - including left-wing journalists who really really wish it wasn't true  - lie in their teeth about Sweden (to sell newspapers), and everything government-bought academics say is unassailable.

How's the planet that Sweden has moved to doing, though it looks like Finland (and likely Norway too) is still on planet Earth?

Finland showdown with Brussels after Finns rule 77% of Iraqi migrants could be sent home

Follows:

• Attack on credibility of DE ("direct lines to the tory government and now this" - different paper of different political persuasion, actually).
  • Syntactic analysis of text to demonstrate that black=white.
  • implications that poster is know-it-all simply because he listens to the breadth of what is being said ("My word you do have inside information on a lot of things").
  • Patronising derision ("You may just have read way too much Enid Blyton as a youngster.")
  • Argument invalid because poster carelessly hit apostrophe.
  • Ad hominem attack on people the poster profoundly disagrees with, but respects their views and right to say it (Red Ken).
  • Declaration that poster is mentally unbalanced. (Lost argument flag).
  • Let's change the subject (What's the weather like where you are?).
  • ...anything but address the actual issue raised in an honest manner.

Obviously missed quite a few there, but I'm sure you will help out! :)

[UPDATE]  Thanks!

• Quote Kipling to falsely imply poster is upset (I like the Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools bit, myself.)  :)

11 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

What, no afterlife?!  You do understand that that's so heretical that you could easily be slaughtered on the spot?  Meanwhile, do leave the shorts in the drawer.

10 hours ago, Canny lass said:

You are unhappy. I feel your pain. Take solace in the fact that you are not alone. Millions in the world are unhappy with you. Should we look at some funny cat videos on YouTube? That usually works a treat for my grandchildren when they’re unhappy.

You're right; I think I will convert to Islam. Do they do waterproof Qurans - so that I can study in the pool?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, threegee said:

What, no afterlife?!  You do understand that that's so heretical that you could easily be slaughtered on the spot?  Meanwhile, do leave the shorts in the drawer.

You're right; I think I will convert to Islam. Do they do waterproof Qurans - so that I can study in the pool?

You are feeling threatened. I understand. Shall we try a spot of reading? A Short History of Decay by E M Cioran (whose mother is said to have told him that had she known how miserable he would be, she wouldn’t have given birth to him at all)! Sounds just about right for reading in these troubled times. On second thoughts, maybe not.

How about Dreams1900 – 2000: Science, Art and the Unconscious Mind by Lynn Gamwell. Riveting reading!

38 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

If I were you 3g, I'd stick to the previously mentioned Kipling and his exceedingly good cakes!

Kipling?!  No need, my mum bought 'IF' for me when I was little and hung it on the wall.  Can't say I've still got it word for word, but most of it is still there.

The WSJ is good reading though:

Some weeks ago, my significant other, a native Swede, and I hosted a dinner party where he specifically asked me not to express my views on the refugee crisis to avoid an uncomfortable situation. To me, this was unfathomable. Even if their opinions were different, I was still interested in having an open discussion. I wanted to understand the reasoning behind their opinions.

Puzzled, I reached out to an American expat in Stockholm who has lived in Sweden since 2013 to see if his experience matched mine. Although he asked that his name not be used, he said: “If you have an opinion that slightly differs from what’s seen as popular or safe, you can easily be labeled as a racist.”

One reason for what seemed to me a dearth of discussion might be the way that Swedes see themselves. Gunnar Gilberg, Gothenburg University lecturer for sociology and work science, said: “One explanation of why the migration debate is so sensitive in Sweden is probably the Swedish self-image of being a moral superpower. Many in Sweden really want to be good people and there’s a black-and-white perception of who the victim is and who is guilty. If you are critical, for example, of immigration in Sweden you can be quickly seen as morally deviant.” He added that this collective mindset has tended to block debate among politicians, journalists and opinion leaders.

Sensitivity over this topic was something I’d not been accustomed to among my circle in New York. As I tried to discuss issues among several friends and acquaintances in Sweden, I soon realized from the glares and awkward silences that this was not a topic to bring to the dinner table. Was it possible to show support for Sweden’s admirable humanitarian efforts yet still address a bit of concern to what this would mean for the future?

Why the Swedes I Know Are Reluctant to Talk About the Refugee Crisis

Shall we agree that the answer to his question is an emphatic NO?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

I’m sensing a feeling of exasperation.....

This is always what happens when you bump into a few Swedish Democrats...  A.K.A moral inferiors, and filthy racists.

25 minutes ago, threegee said:

This is always what happens when you bump into a few Swedish Democrats...  A.K.A moral inferiors, and filthy racists.

I’m sensing a feeling of desperation. I understand. Perhaps a walk or a cycle ride would help release some pent up tensions? What’s your opinion on exercise btw? Do you think it’s is all it’s cracked up to be? It’s beggared my knees, and there was I thinking I was ‘keeping myself fit’.

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

I’m sensing a feeling of desperation. I understand. Perhaps a walk or a cycle ride would help release some pent up tensions? What’s your opinion on exercise btw? Do you think it’s is all it’s cracked up to be? It’s beggared my knees, and there was I thinking I was ‘keeping myself fit’.

At very least 7.5Km every evening when it cools off.  €100 bike is almost 10 years old, but has all the bolt-ons and is still rather good.  On the roads here you really need that cantilever sprung rear wheel.  Just come out the pool.  Yes, desperate for a (small) pizza.  Ciao!

4 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I feel the vibes of your happiness and am happy for you.

The pizza turned into a really nice meal out in a deeply suburban square with the locals of the next town - way off the tourist path.  Unfortunately when I selected the restaurant's WiFi key the "religion of peace" ruined the whole thing by slaughtering another 8 or 9? innocent people.  Well... the BBC Guardianista narrative - following the German self-delusion - is that these are possibly white extremists, but other media is being a little more transparent.

As you asked my opinion on cycling: if I were a female in Sweden I certainly wouldn't be going out cycling alone; go to the Gym, preferably a busy one where you are surrounded by burly Swedes.

I understand that you are feeling a degree of irritation. Cycling has never really appealed to me for some reason but my old man loves it - 30-40 km, 5 times a week. I'm a running and swimming kind of girl myself - no need for gyms when I have the forests and the lakes, far away from the exhaust fumes od suberbia. An added advantage is no pool costs and no gym costs and it's right on my doorstep. Do you engage in any other sports or is it just cycling?

Edited by Canny lass

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now