Bedlington Gateway Features

Better still if we - very rightly - claimed to be home of the railways too!  This one (like Daniel Gooch and the Transatlantic Cable) has been overshadowed by partisan politics for far too long!

On 15/06/2016 at 16:25, threegee said:

Better still if we - very rightly - claimed to be home of the railways too!  This one (like Daniel Gooch and the Transatlantic Cable) has been overshadowed by partisan politics for far too long!

I think  there are many contenders to that claim; Railways were in operation elsewhere in the UK before Birkenshaw produced the Bedlington Rail, which did revolutionise the railway industry. By the way, why does a site bedlington.co.uk underline the word Bedlington in red whenever I type it!

I'd imagine that any ancient civilisation who employed the wheel, or even used log rollers, could claim some origination by throwing down a couple of lengths of wood on boggy ground.  I'm talking about the practical deployment of course, and in particular the revolutionary flanged rail which now spans the world.  And, when continental rail museums have Bedlington locomotives (or copies thereof) proudly displayed as firsts, and we don't even have a bloomin' picture on display anywhere in the town, and seem intent on belittling our own heritage, it's a rather poor show!

Stratford on Avon has built an entire industry out of a local hick who didn't even spell his name the same as the actual guy, and illustrates him by a fictitious bust that was sneaked into the local church under cover of darkness in fairly recent times.  Our history has real substance, and our connections to the Stephensons irrefutable.  Nope, it's not just the politics, it's a total lack of imagination as to the possibilities!

If it's a squiggly red line then right click on it and add it to your local dictionary.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2016 at 22:27, Malcolm Robinson said:

Look at the next page GGG!!!!!!!!!

Something like a half scale model of the De Arned going in at Attlee Park!  

Where, where , where????

This was my original brief to the manufacturers.  

Its now tother way round and we were going to have a platform behind so people could stand and if a picture was taken square on in front it would look as though they were in the driving compartment.  Unfortunately H&S has seen to that one but we still get the scale model in steel!   

DEA.PNG

Agree with all of that, 3G. Credit to Wetherspoons, there is plenty of information on Birkenshaw, Stephenson and Gooch on their walls, as well as info on the ironworks.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now