Rubbish

NCC is now charging if you take rubble , soil or plasterboard to the tip.

We took two bags of ceramic tiles and paid four pounds.

Bottom of their website says Arch so nice to know every little helps.

The Question is does it help Bedlington.

The amount of money to develop our Market Place seems to have been reduced.

Ashington now has money to open up the Main Street !

Next Rubbish question :-

Where can I recycle an old gas cooker and an old washer?

Problem (for me ) is that the cooker and washer are still working even though they are in the region of 30/40 years old.

A time when metal was used and had not been replaced by plastic.

I can remember when people used to take their old junk to a tip at the side of the  "picca bank" and just sling it over,often saw people dragging something they found up the slope,into a "barra" and away,later the council had a lorry that would pick large objects up from your house for free I'm guessing that service no longer exists,the guy that used to drive the lorry was called Alan Carr,he was a real gent,never heard him bad mouth anyone,that was early 80s ,aahh good old days lol

Stick the cooker and the wesha outside ya hoouse and it will be gone in two minutes :lol:

Seriously  we were decorating some time ago and we took the radiators off the walls  and put them on the driveway intending to put them in the garage until we had finished papering  the walls, luckily I looked out the window to see a scrap collector just about to hoy them on his wagon.

Talk about seagulls swooping to pinch ya chips, they aint got nowt on these blokes :ph34r:  

• Like 1

A friend told me about this last year but as I don't often need to dispose of bricks/plaster/rubble, it has not affected me until recently.

I have just finished removing lots of 1970s tiles from the kitchen at my new house.

Before loading the car with bags of old tiles and plaster I called into the local tips to ask advice.

It turns out they won't accept cash. They did tell me I can buy a prepaid card in town and use that at the tip. Shame they also told me they need to see how much stuff I have in the car before they can tell me how much it will cost! So I either have to put lots of credit (which I know won't all be used) on their card, or load the car - go the the tip to find the price - then go into town and put credit on the card - then back to the tip to dump the rubbish and use the card. That won't be happening.

Apparently you can also pay by credit card, but as I don't have one and manage to pay all my other bills without one I won't be using that option.

I've also had problems with the tip being closed during the day as when they were moving the skips around inside.

To add salt to the wound, the tip has a sign at the gate saying that flytipping is illegal and will be prosecuted. If the tip was open and did not charge for rubbish, I suspect a lot of flytipping would not happen. I know Wearside/Durham introduced a similar payment scheme within the last 10 years - then had to recruit additional staff to as the volume of stuff dumped around the area increased greatly.

NCC are also making it very difficult to pay council tax with cash, I'm sure card payments suit them but cash is my only realistic option.

If anyone wonders why flytipping is becoming more common, ask yourself if it's related to the recent charges/fees. (for info - I don't flytip - if anyone needs bags of old tiles for foundations just let me know)

cheers, Pete

• Like 1

It never fails Maggie, as long as its got some metal in it they will take it,

Mind you I tried leaving a mattress out but had no takers,    tha must not be much money in knackered owld springs :rolleyes:   

pop.jpe

Edited by moe19
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now