Grade 11 listed in West Bedlington

Sorry Canny Lass but the oldest gravestones are weather damaged.

I have a few pictures taken today.

If the Grade 11 listing means anything then they are in need of restoration. Instead more and more are simply knocked over as dangerous.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maggie/915 said:

If the Grade 11 listing means anything then they are in need of restoration. Instead more and more are simply knocked over as dangerous.

A Grade 2 listing actually means that the state wants it preserved, but hasn't any money to do this; so... it tries hard to push the responsibility on to the legal owner.  Believe me, I KNOW!

Where headstones are concerned the responsibility is always with the legal owner. With those of this age determining such could be difficult.

Even if they are traced (and compos) the old you can take a horse to water adage still applies.  Grade 2 is actually a cop out!

Hi Maggie!,I took photo's of the first one in your set,[the skull etc..],when my Girl-Friend,[now my Wife of 50 years next year!!]...gave me my first camera,a Halina 35X

[35mm],in the year 1963-ish!

Between then and now,I can see how much that headstone has weathered,and deteriorated.

It was always going to be old,[1790..I think],but it was definately in better condition then...there wasn't as much pollution,acid rain etc,in the years before!

We kids used to look at these stones and wondered why on earth somebody would want a skull and [what we were told!], were "Werewolves" at each side [!],put on

thier Headstone!,I later learned that the figures were ,in fact, Gargoyles![to keep evil spirits away from the deceased!]

If I can find them,I will post them,only for comparison!

• 1 month later...

At the moment I'm looking into the tunnels that run under Bedlington. I'm also interested in St Cuthberts church. My family were Hedleys too. I'm hoping to get over to St Cuthberts soon and take some photos. 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now