Free Mobile Internet ...

Excuse me if I'm telling you something you already know, I'm not the quickest learner, but I've started using the Betternet app on my Android phone to access free internet.

https://www.betternet.co/

It's been working fine. I can stream youtube, Netflix, ShowBox, CinemaBox, movies absolutely free without using up my precious 2Gb of monthly data, which I now reserve for the times I need a 4g connection, such as when I need to do a big download etc.

Previously, I was always hitting the 2Gb cap before the month had ended, leaving me with the option of upgrading my package, at great expense, or bolting on a top-up, also at great expense, most of which was wasted when my plan reset every month. There's also an option with Betternet to pay a small fee monthly or yearly which gets rid of the ads (which aren't intrusive) and promises even better service, so I'm trying this out for a month or two to see what kind of service I get. So far, it's been wonderful.

Is this for real, webtrekker? Looks useful! Would this mean I could access the net when I don't have credit on my phone or when I cannot get a public WiFi spot?

All you need is to have a data package with your provider, doesn't mean you have to use THEIR data though! ;)

We tried it at work on a phone that didn't have internet included as part of the package and naturally it didn't work.

I hoped that I'd be able to do some surfing, read emails etc but was gobsmacked when I realised I could stream movies with it no problem at all! If you pay the £3.95 a month (half price for an annual subscription) you can set a country of origin from the app, which means you can access sites not allowed in your country, such as streaming US Netflix content.

Try the free version first though and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by webtrekker

Right then...... I've been doing a lot of digging and, hands up, it appears I misunderstood this whole procedure in my haste to find 'free' internet. 

By 'free' they mean you are free to access sites in any country from any country, as in 'freedom.' NOT free data!

However, a VPN can help reduce your data overload by compressing the data returned to you. 

So, sad to say, there appears to be no free meal in the mobile data stakes. Sorry if I've misled anyone.  

2 hours ago, webtrekker said:

Young man? I'm beginning to warm to you Canny Lass! :D

Anyway, well and truly rapped. I'll go back to treating everything with suspicion again! 

Ahh - keep diving in head first young man,. Life wouldn't be much fun without doing so. Now that Legal Highs are Illegal Highs us pensioners need more ways that Compare the Market to get us excited! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Ahh - keep diving in head first young man,. Life wouldn't be much fun without doing so. Now that Legal Highs are Illegal Highs us pensioners need more ways that than Compare the Market to get us excited! 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now