Duplicitous Dave's Secret Stitch-up

Jacob Rees-Mogg MP believes that it's likely that there is written proof in the Downing Street files that our joke for a PM was plotting with Serco boss Rupert Soames (does that name ring a bell?) to keep us firmly in the EU just days before he was telling parliament that he "ruled nothing out" over campaigning for Brexit.

The prominent eurosceptic claimed “assuming it’s true” then “Parliament was misled”.

He added: “Misleading Parliament is the highest constitutional crime.

“So if it can be proved this has happened, of course anyone has to go if they’ve misled Parliament.

“It’s a basic principle of the constitution.”

If Parliament was misled, historically it’s led to resignations.

Mr Rees-Mogg highlighted how the ‘Profumo Affair’ - which contributed to the toppling of Harold MacMillan’s government in 1963 - had seen senior Tory John Profumo resign not for having an affair but for misleading Parliament.

Mr Rees-Mogg said: “If Parliament was misled, historically it’s led to resignations. So I think this is a really important story.

“I think to be organising the ‘Remain’ campaign when saying you rule nothing out, not just to MPs but to the British people, is shocking.

“And I think we need an inquiry to find out what whether this was going on, we need to see the emails from Downing Street.”

Mr Rees-Mogg also called for head of the civil service Sir Jeremy Heywood not to be involved in any probe and instead have “somebody who is genuinely independent” to head an investigation.

What's the betting that the establishment and civil service will keep this one under wraps until well after the referendum?

According to the Daily Mail, talks were held between Mr Cameron and Mr Soames - the grandson of Winston Churchill and brother of Tory MP Sir Nicholas Soames - in early February.

In a letter dated February 8, Mr Soames is alleged to have outlined plans over how to "mobilise" top businesses to include the risks of Brexit in their annual reports.

Later that month, Serco was one of 200 companies to sign a public letter in support of Britain remaining in the EU.

The company denied there was a link between support for remaining in the EU and efforts to secure Government contracts. 

They told the newspaper: "We have contracts worth £130million a year with European institutions such as the European Commission and the European Space Agency, and it is part of strategy to build the business we do with European institutions.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/671075/EU-referendum-David-Cameron-resignation-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-Serco-letter-renegotiation

Tip of the iceberg here I think, and Cameron is going to end up even more discredited that Teflon Tony!

This also explains why Soames has been putting out such obvious twaddle as to what his grandfather would have thought about Britain losing control of its own affairs - especially to Germany! :rolleyes:

It's not too often I borrow Guardian content, but I believe The Guardian took it from Ukip in the first place. :D

6de8f732-3bc0-49e0-9b83-fd3d2f6eb5a0-540

• Like 2

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now