planning to build 2 houses at humford

permission has been applied for to build two ‘executive’ style homes in the middle of Bedlington Country Park.

Like many, MAN4B is appalled that this application has even been submitted. To apply to build within an area designated as both a Local Wildlife Site and a Local Nature Reserve, particularly 'executive' housing which is out of the reach of the vast majority of Bedlington residents, is insulting and offensive to our community.

This should be seen and dealt with as what it is - a money making exercise at the expense of the wildlife which has been present in this habitat for hundreds of years and also to the thousands of people who love, care for and enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the Country Park.

Please visit the NCC Planning website – type ‘Humford’ into the search engine and see for yourself. If you are as incensed as we are please add your objection to the many already there.

https://publicaccess.northumberland.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O2Y9U3QSG0T00

https://publicaccess.northumberland.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O2Y9TBQSG0R00

I am not taking either side, at the moment, this is just me trying to establish the the boundaries the land in question sits on.

Would the land the new builds are planning to be build on be owned by the owners of the existing properties at Humford Mill?

Is it the descendants of Mr Marley the school teacher that has often been commented about on this site?

Has anyone heard if these new builds are to be put up for sale on the open market or are they supposedly planned to be additional, or replacement, dwellings for the existing property owners?

Image of the proposed plans against aerial view of the land :- 

Humford new builds2.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

On 06/05/2016 at 21:09, curly said:

To apply to build within an area designated as both a Local Wildlife Site and a Local Nature Reserve, particularly 'executive' housing which is out of the reach of the vast majority of Bedlington residents, is insulting and offensive to our community.

So would you be  happier  If the plans were for cheap starter homes?

Its sad that when people work hard and are successful in life and make a good living  that some folk think its offensive and insulting,

Good luck to those who work hard and do well, they certainly do not  insult or offend me  so why bash them.          

• Like 1

I'm probably beating a different drum here, but having looked at the pictures above and now understanding where these houses are, I'm not sure the impact they will make is so great. This land must be owned by the residents of the existing home, or am I wrong? 

I, too, would have no objection to a couple of houses being built here, as long as it didn't become a precedent for many more houses in the same area. It's years since I've been down that road so they could have built them 10 years ago and I wouldn't have known! :D

• Like 1

The house on the higher level at Humford extended their Boundry wall by simply moving all the stones.

This meant that where people used to park they could not park anymore.

Why should this be an issue? Well an old relative who knew the area well was outraged that public highway land could simply be taken over.

My questions would be who owns the land and are there any public access issues.

If we all go and enclose a piece of land can we then claim ownership!

On 5/8/2016 at 12:39, webtrekker said:

I, too, would have no objection to a couple of houses being built here, as long as it didn't become a precedent for many more houses in the same area. It's years since I've been down that road so they could have built them 10 years ago and I wouldn't have known! :D

I no of no reason (but I know very little about - planning - conservation areas etc etc) to believe what the current owners of the land are doing by applying to building additional dwelling places, on their own land, are not following all existing regulations and procedures so I, from a personal point, agree with the comments made by Webtreckker, Moe & Mercury on this one.

I don't know the restrictions that are applied to designated country parks but I am assuming that all the existing privately owned land and buildings that were in the Bedlington Country Park that, covers approximately 57 hectares of woodland and grassland on the north banks of River Blyth come under the same council planning restrictions etc property outside the country park have to adhere to.

I know the area has long been a popular area for informal recreation over many decades until 1984, when the country park was created to protect the unique nature of the area. In 2006 Local Nature Reserve status was gained.The park is a steep sloping, natural wooded valley which runs from the old Bedlington iron works site at Furnace Bridge in the east, through Attlee Park at the bottom of Bedlington Bank, beside Bedlington Bridge and the A193 road, west towards Humford Mill and Hartford Hall. 

I can't see any of the nature within this park changing because two dwellings will be built on land that visitors to the park have never had access to in the past

Curly - I will not be raising any objections to the planning applications.

Maggie - I think the parking area is a totally separate issue and visitors to the area should be lodging complaints in the existing residents are crossing boundary lines.

Humford area aerial view with trans and text.jpg

2 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

I know of no reason (but I know very little about - planning - conservation areas etc etc) to believe what the current owners of the land are doing by applying to build additional dwelling places, on their own land, are not following all existing regulations and procedures so I, from a personal point, agree with the comments made by Webtreckker, Moe & Mercury on this one.

I don't know the restrictions that are applied to designated country parks but I am assuming that all the existing privately owned land and buildings that were in the Bedlington Country Park that, covers approximately 57 hectares of woodland and grassland on the north banks of River Blyth come under the same council planning restrictions etc property outside the country park have to adhere to.

I know the area has long been a popular area for informal recreation over many decades until 1984, when the country park was created to protect the unique nature of the area. In 2006 Local Nature Reserve status was gained.The park is a steep sloping, natural wooded valley which runs from the old Bedlington iron works site at Furnace Bridge in the east, through Attlee Park at the bottom of Bedlington Bank, beside Bedlington Bridge and the A193 road, west towards Humford Mill and Hartford Hall. 

I can't see any of the nature within this park changing because two dwellings will be built on land that visitors to the park have never had access to in the past

Curly - I will not be raising any objections to the planning applications.

Maggie - I think the parking area is a totally separate issue and visitors to the area should be lodging complaints in the existing residents are crossing boundary lines.

Humford area aerial view with trans and text.jpg

Edited 16:10 

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 07:54, moe19 said:

So would you be  happier  If the plans were for cheap starter homes?

Its sad that when people work hard and are successful in life and make a good living  that some folk think its offensive and insulting,

Good luck to those who work hard and do well, they certainly do not  insult or offend me  so why bash them.          

when I posted this it was to highlight the proposed development to the public if the where not already aware -

you have taken the quotes out of context- they were actually extracts from another article and not my words - however building work is building work - and I would be just as upset if they were as you put it cheap starter homes

I do not mind people getting on in life if they work hard, you would think I did ...........there is plenty of brown field sites to build on

it seems as if too much of bedlington GREEN sites are being used at present........ 

Edited by curly

3 hours ago, curly said:

when I posted this it was to highlight the proposed development to the public if the where not already aware -

you have taken the quotes out of context- they were actually extracts from another article and not my words - however building work is building work - and I would be just as upset if they were as you put it cheap starter homes

I do not mind people getting on in life if they work hard, you would think I did ...........there is plenty of brown field sites to build on

it seems as if too much of bedlington GREEN sites are being used at present........ 

Aye if you've got the cash and connections.... you can build where you like. Besides you need somewhere for the snobs to live.

• 2 weeks later...

Where did these stones come from?

If we accept the secret is in these stones then they could tell our own story.

I wonder if anyone has a picture before 'the enclosure'.

What happened to the Scoup Camp?

Such a beautiful place to grow up.

Cycling , swimming, freedom , now maybe lost to the profit motive.

Once gone never to return.

Innocence lost 

As Joni might have sung

'They paved paradise put up some ugly new build '

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

These plans have been turned down.

Our Country park is safe from development for now!

However access needs looking at seriously!

Taking over the public highway and building walls that prevent access to the country park is going to cause accidents .

The land that is seen as the paddock was most likely a holding area for cattle before the roads around Bedlington developed.

Maybe it was part of a drover road .

Either way this is our history.

Where did the stones come from for the 'dodgy' walls !

Walk along to the back of the Humford Mill Farm building and you will see the land likely to fall away.

Why have these people been allowed to enclose this public space and highway?

if you are in doubt drive down and pray you do not meet a car coming in the opposite direction.

Then you will see how crazy the situation really is !

there's always been nice houses down there,they aren't doing any harm and if a few trees have to come down to allow someone to live in a nice place then so be it,now you can say,what's it got to do with you ,you don't live hear anymore and you'd be right but I was delivering newspapers to the big houses down there 45 yrs ago,it was a nice place then and I'm sure It'll still be a nice place with a few more houses.

38 minutes ago, stevenmcvey963 said:

there's always been nice houses down there,they aren't doing any harm and if a few trees have to come down to allow someone to live in a nice place then so be it,now you can say,what's it got to do with you ,you don't live hear anymore and you'd be right but I was delivering newspapers to the big houses down there 45 yrs ago,it was a nice place then and I'm sure It'll still be a nice place with a few more houses.

When I first saw these applications I was thinking on the same lines as you, stevenmcvey963,  plenty space for a couple of builds on existing owners land that I assumed would not be part of the 2007 adopted Bedlington Country Park. Always difficult, from the outside, to see what way NCC would go with these planning applications. I see from the refusal statement the land is within the adopted park :-

Application No. 16/00565/FUL & Application No. 16/00566/FUL Schedule of Reasons for Refusal

1. The site is located outside of any settlement limit identified within the Wansbeck District Local Plan, Adopted July 2007. It lies within the open countryside and would represent an isolated new dwelling in the countryside which would not satisfy one of the "special circumstances" set out in the National Planning Policy Framework. The principle of new build housing on this site would be contrary to the NPPF and Wansbeck Local Plan Policies GP1 and H3.

2. The application site lies in an unsustainable location with no services or facilities. The proposal would therefore not promote a sustainable form of development in a rural area, contrary to the general provisions of the National Planning Policy Framework at paragraph 55. There is not considered to be any demonstrated need, overriding justification or other material considerations that would justify the construction of a new dwelling in this unsustainable location.

3. The application site lies in the Bedlington Country Park, identified as OS2 in Appendix REC1 Schedule of open spaces of the Wansbeck District Local Plan, Adopted July 2007. Local Plan Policy REC1 does not allow development on a designated unless the predominantly open character is maintained or the development is incidental and beneficial to the recreational or amenity use of the land. The proposal has not satisfactorily demonstrated that these criteria have been met and therefore fails to accord with Wansbeck Local Plan Policy REC1.

4. The proposed dwelling would represent an incongruous and obtrusive built form which would have a detrimental impact upon the character, landscape and setting of this particular part of the countryside. The proposal would therefore not accord with Local Plan Policies GP5 and GP30, or the National Planning Policy Framework.

16 hours ago, John Fox (foxy) said:

Thats good enough for me.

ok I see you're one of those people who think ONLY people who LIVE in Bedlington should be allowed to comment on things that happen to Bedlington,in that case this forum would be a waste of time because in your world you could all meet in the Market Club and have a chat about the old days.

1 hour ago, stevenmcvey963 said:

ok I see you're one of those people who think ONLY people who LIVE in Bedlington should be allowed to comment on things that happen to Bedlington,in that case this forum would be a waste of time because in your world you could all meet in the Market Club and have a chat about the old days.

So are you retracting your original statement where you did say it had nothing to do with you ? and  I'm only one voice with an opinion which doesn't make this forum a waste of time. In my world  I dont visit the Market Place Club..

if you don't visit the Market club how could you see Terry Fox in their as you said when I asked were you related to Alan,as for retracting statements,you chopped the full post that I made about the building of houses down Humford just to make a silly comment on a subject I DO have a vested interest in,but that's another story

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now