DSCF9765.jpg

• Ground Floor Shop Unit
  • Parking to the Rear
  • Central Town Location
  • Close to Local Amenities 
  • Close to Bus Routes

Available Now

Variety of Uses Subject to Consent

Situated in the town centre of Bedlington on the popular main street with ample public parking at the rear of premises. 

This property is closely located to all local shops, amenities and bus routes leading to neighbouring towns/cities.

Anyone interested in this unit should contact Andrew on 07545 623423

2 hours ago, Bedlingtonian said:

I believe this may have been one of the first shops to ignore the conservation area shutter restriction.

Have you any idea how long those shutters have been there?  As a director of another shop that fitted shutters well after those I don't recall that there was any restriction, except maybe that they must be internal pattern.  I'm not even sure that at that particular time this location was actually in the conservation area.

11 hours ago, Bedlingtonian said:

The shutters were there when Rediffusion occupied the shop, and how long is it since THEY were in Bedlington.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2016 at 23:27, Bedlingtonian said:

The shutters have been there since the very early 1970's (and maybe even very late 1960's): exBed is spot on!  So, the answer is quite possibly nearer 50 years than 40.

A major PLC like Rediffusion (and subsequently Granada) doesn't flout planning restrictions - though they have very good lawyers!

In the mid 1980's the Rediffusion Group was broken up and sold off. The TV rental business was acquired by Granada however there is a suggestion by TonyG that the Rediffusion shop may have became NVR owned by the son of Jimmy Millne. Rediffusion would appear to have internal shutters.

post-3028-0-10492700-1396292052.jpg

Edited by Bedlingtonian
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bedlingtonian said:

there is a suggestion by TonyG that the Rediffusion shop may have became NVR owned by the son of Jimmy Millne. Rediffusion would appear to have internal shutters.

post-3028-0-10492700-1396292052.jpg

N.V.R   was further along on the site of the Co-operative funeral directors, NVR and the Home bakers shop were pulled down and the funeral directors is a new build.  

• Like 1

In 1992/1993 both Safeway/Presto and Keith Pattinson's Market Place had planning applications for shutters refused. Bedlington Conservation Area was listed as a Constraint at the time. Pattinson's were again refused in 1995 and an appeal was dismissed. What appears to be a revised application was accepted in 1996/1997.

The early nineties were a time when 'Ram Raids' and the likes were prevalent. Apparently staff at the Granada shop may have nicknamed it 'The Takeaway Shop' after it was raided a couple of times in the space of a week. 

9 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

Hmm... Not saying anyone is wrong, as my memory ain't what it used to be, but I always thought that NVR was in the old Rediffusion shop.

I think you are both right. I seem to remember NVR was originally in the shop further up, but I think they possibly did move into the old Rediffusion shop after Granada left.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now