St Cuthberts School

Latest on the willow tree and Lidl; Lidl has released an official statement on the matter andf while we - the campaigners - have not got the result we wanted, we feel it appropriate to state we are satisfied with the explanation, and thank Lidl for taking the time to consider the situation. For anyone interested, it's here: http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/12946.htm

• Like 2

13 hours ago, webtrekker said:

Here's a suggestion... 

Maybe they could bury the County Councillors in the hole before they lay the car park. 

This could be our next campaign! Great idea!!

• Like 1

Ok then. This issue over the removal of a much-loved tree has obviously stirred some deep feelings in Bedlington folk. The fact that it is going to be removed regardless of any campaign to save it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, but how about this for a practical way to remember that tree for another 100years? .............

Why not rename Schalksmuhle Road (a poor choice in the first place, in my opinion) into something entirely fitting, like Willow Tree Drive, or Weeping Willow Way, or something along those lines, in remembrance of the beautiful tree that stood here for all of our lives, and not some remote German town that 90% of folk in Bedlington have no clue of (unless you happen to be called Binks, of course)?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, webtrekker said:

Ok then. This issue over the removal of a much-loved tree has obviously stirred some deep feelings in Bedlington folk. The fact that it is going to be removed regardless of any campaign to save it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, but how about this for a practical way to remember that tree for another 100years? .............

Why not rename Schalksmuhle Road (a poor choice in the first place, in my opinion) into something entirely fitting, like Willow Tree Drive, or Weeping Willow Way, or something along those lines, in remembrance of the beautiful tree that stood here for all of our lives, and not some remote German town that 90% of folk in Bedlington have no clue of (unless you happen to be called Binks, of course)?

What a great idea! I have no idea who to talk to regards street names, I shall ask Malcolm. There were some positives gained from the campaign; first and foremost, it showed that we can pull together, once again, as a community. Also, we learned a great deal about weeping willows! We also discovered that. contrary to prior belief, the tree cannot be 100 years old; not only is it extremely rare for this species to live that long, but I canvassed people to cast their minds back and remember if it was there when they were young. The opinion now is that it was planted some time between the mid-70's to early 80's. Still a beautiful tree.

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 10:32, mercuryg said:

Latest on the willow tree and Lidl; Lidl has released an official statement on the matter andf while we - the campaigners - have not got the result we wanted, we feel it appropriate to state we are satisfied with the explanation, and thank Lidl for taking the time to consider the situation. For anyone interested, it's here: http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/12946.htm

Go lidl

And another thing before lidl bought the land no body so much as paid the tree so much as a second glance. So stop whinging and be happy somebody wants to invest in this dump of a town. 

Edited by Monsta®

He was the King of Trees

Keeper of the Glade

Beneath his leaves he gave

Shelter from the rain

we used to meet by him

far from the bustling town

We loved him

Now they,ve come to cut him down!!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mickypotts said:

He was the King of Trees

Keeper of the Glade

Beneath his leaves he gave

Shelter from the rain

we used to meet by him

far from the bustling town

We loved him

Now they,ve come to cut him down!!!

Nothing lasts forever 

Oh, yeah
Mmm
Still don't know what I was waitin' for
And my time was runnin' wild
A million dead end streets and
Every time I thought I'd got it made
It seemed the taste was not so sweet
So I turned myself to face me
But I've never caught a glimpse of
How the others must see the faker
I'm much too fast to take that test
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
Turn and face the strange
Ch-ch-changes
Don't want to be a richer man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
Ch-ch-changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time
Mmm, yeah I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream Of warm impermanence
So the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
Ch-ch-changes
Don't tell them to grow up and out of it
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
Ch-ch-changes
Where's your shame?
You've left us up to our necks in it
Time may change me
But you can't trace time
Strange fascination, fascinatin'
Ah, changes are takin'
The pace I'm goin' through
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
Ch-ch-changes
Oh, look out you rock 'n' rollers
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
Ch-ch-changes
Pretty soon now you're gonna get older
Time may change me
But I can't trace time I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time

Edited by Monsta®

Monsta, nobody was or is whinging. All we asked was for Lidl to consider the tree. They did, which is commendable, and replied with sensible reasoning as to why the tree has to go. We accept that. Once again, this wasn't about the tree OR Lidl, because we want Lidl, and others, to invest in the town. It was a last chance attempt to save a beautiful tree. Of course, that's of no interest to you. I doubt, in fact, you care at all about the regeneration of the town or of community spirit.

• Like 1

With so many people unhappy with the state of our streets and open spaces a group has come together to see just what can be done to help. 

They are holding an open public meeting at the Bedlington Community Centre on Front Street next Wednesday 4th May at 6.00pm. 

If you are concerned about the way our Town looks at times and want to actually do something about it please come along.  You may already do a bit of litter picking in your particular area, if so we would like to hear about that too so we can make a map of the areas residents are already helping out with and areas which might need some sort of concerted community effort to get back into a good state. 

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 08:47, Malcolm Robinson said:

With so many people unhappy with the state of our streets and open spaces a group has come together to see just what can be done to help. 

They are holding an open public meeting at the Bedlington Community Centre on Front Street next Wednesday 4th May at 6.00pm. 

If you are concerned about the way our Town looks at times and want to actually do something about it please come along.  You may already do a bit of litter picking in your particular area, if so we would like to hear about that too so we can make a map of the areas residents are already helping out with and areas which might need some sort of concerted community effort to get back into a good state. 

Litter picking isn't that what we pay the council for. Oh sorry it's for there cars and vacantions and this isn't ashington 

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 06:58, mercuryg said:

Monsta, nobody was or is whinging. All we asked was for Lidl to consider the tree. They did, which is commendable, and replied with sensible reasoning as to why the tree has to go. We accept that. Once again, this wasn't about the tree OR Lidl, because we want Lidl, and others, to invest in the town. It was a last chance attempt to save a beautiful tree. Of course, that's of no interest to you. I doubt, in fact, you care at all about the regeneration of the town or of community spirit.

Wey it's to late it's gone thank f**k now these part time tree huggers can get back to jeźza and loose women. 

I thought Loose Women would be more up your street, Monsta! As it is, we're currently deciding what to campaign about next, just to annoy you!

• Like 2

e would also like to reassure those who have concerns, that the tree will be removed respectfully by a fully qualified arborist. 

BULLSHIT!!! 

I heard from a 100% reliable source that a lady walked over to the fence from Morrison's (staff?) and pointed out that there was a notice on the fence informing them of the petition. She was answered with a 2-fingered salute by one of the tossers cutting the trees down.

Bloody disgraceful! 

Webtrekker, any notices on the fence about the petition were not put there with my knowledge, and I was involved in the front line of the campaign.

2 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Webtrekker, any notices on the fence about the petition were not put there with my knowledge, and I was involved in the front line of the campaign.

Ah. I can't confirm that myself as I'm only passing on information from a respected member of the community. Sign or no sign though, there was no need for the gesture she got in lieu of a polite reply. Surely these workmen knew beforehand that the removal of this tree was a sensitive issue?

Anyway, here's what the site looked like tonight ...

2016-04-30 19.24.01.jpg

2016-04-30 19.22.22.jpg

From a business perspective, keeping the tree would have been the way forward. Even if they were *given* extra land for car parking/access. I like Lidl, and look forward to a supermarket in Bedlington, but there are plenty of sites where it could have been located if they couldn't work out how to plan/landscape around the tree. One thing we do have in the area is plenty of greenery, I look out of my window at work and enjoy what I see. How many more of these greenspaces are we going to lose? Call me a tree hugger all you like, but I enjoy nature, and want to enjoy our town :)

Mind you, this pic I took yesterday makes it look like have lots of greenery! (tip: save and zoom in ;) )

DJI_0016.JPG

Edited by Steve

I think it's only right and proper to post here, in its entirety, the last update regarding the petition on change.org ...... 

PETITION UPDATE

Chopped.

Nickaila Arnold

Bedlington, United Kingdom

30 APR 2016 — It is with great sadness and upmost disappointment that I write to you all today to announce that our beloved tree no longer stands. It was removed early this morning without any notice to the public. 

A few days ago, Lidl issued a statement in which their reasons for the felling of the tree seemed fair and we were willing to accept the compromise. Though it would mean losing the tree, at least we were assured that its loss would be justified. However, I would like to note that nobody involved in the campaign, including myself, received any personal response to emails and the statement we received was exactly the same as the one put to the public. Any reply received has simply been a link to their public statement. To acknowledge the person behind the letter is not much to ask and is just another example of Lidl's lack of respect. 

We do respect that fact that Lidl have taken cuttings from the tree which are currently being cultivated and will be replanted. Despite this, we feel that Lidl have let us down in a bad way. To deny us the opportunity to give the tree 'a farewell' as such is downright disrespectful. 

To continue with the killing of our beloved landmark willow tree shows a tragic lack of understanding and care for the community they wish to be a part of. As it stands, Lidl's decision to press ahead and fail to engage and liase with locals is entirely alienating. 

I would like to take this opportunity to thank, with all my heart, everyone who has stood by and supported our cause, all TWO THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY FOUR of you.

The fight has come to and end but we have not failed - they have failed us.

The campaign may not have saved the tree but what it has done is show what a community can do when they pull together over something they are passionate about. Members of our community who had never met one another are now joined together as friends as a result of the campaign. We have raised awareness for Bedlington and further awareness of the little respect that corporations have for nature.

It is a real shame. The arrogance and disrespect shown towards the local community is appalling. A large firm stamping it's mark on a historical and close knit town with absolutely no regard to the sentimental value the tree held. 

I hope that this campaign will, at the least, encourage other corporations to consider and respect the feelings of the public when pursuing future ventures in the communities that they will be part of. 

You can read Lidl's statement below.

Again, my many, many thanks to all of our supporters,
on behalf of the Willow Tree Supporters of Bedlington,
Nickaila. 

"As a responsible retailer, the team here at Lidl have given much consideration to the willow tree that is currently located on the site of the proposed new Lidl store. To remove the tree is not a decision that has been taken lightly, so much so that we have ensured that information on this has been reflected throughout the planning process, including the public consultation day. Subsequently, the council approved plans and chose not to put a tree preservation order on the site. We have been delighted with the positive response received to date from both the council and the local community. We are very much aware of the demand that is in place for a supermarket within the area, which we are looking forward to fulfilling.

We have fully explored every other option to bring this development to fruition whilst being highly conscious of its proximity to the neighbouring homes. To leave the tree in situ wouldn’t just compromise a few parking spaces, due to the size of the canopy and the structure of the roots, it would compromise the majority of the car park. Additionally HGVs, which deliver our fresh produce daily, would not be able to turn in the car park. 

Due to the sentimental value that has now been expressed, we have taken cuttings of the tree so that they can be replanted, and are currently keeping them in incubation in a local nursery. We would like to invite anyone who would like to take a cutting, to get in touch withnewtonaycliffe.property@lidl.co.uk and we can arrange this. We would also like to reassure those who have concerns, that the tree will be removed respectfully by a fully qualified arborist. We also plan to plant 29 new trees in suitable spots around the site. 

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our thanks and gratitude for all of the support received to date. We pride ourselves on providing customers with the best quality produce - two thirds of which is sourced from Britain –at the best possible prices, and look forward to serving the community in the very near future." - Lidl

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now