St Cuthberts School

Indeed. Malcolm; As I said, I don't hold much hope, especially as the tree was refused s preservation order, but as with such things, it's good to see a community spirit prevailing. Nickaila's petition has more than 2000 names now, which is a pretty inpressive achievement over 'just a tree'. The other point I should make is that I'm 100% in favour of the store. 

14 hours ago, Monsta® said:

Omg bedlington gets some much needed investment and a bunch of whiney folks cry on about a tree. 

What a daft response Monsta! If you bother to take the time to read any of the comments from the campaigners you'll see immediately this isn't about the tree OR Lidl's, but the tree AND Lidl's. Most of us are for the new store, but would like to see if it's possible to incorporate a very beautiful and established tree into the plans. What's wrong with that? As someone working in marketing, for Lidl this is an opportunity; "Lidl's provides much needed store to run-down town and preserves much-loved ancient tree". Of course, I'm looking at it from a purely personal view; I understand they will look at it from a business point of view. At least, so it seems, we are getting them to actually look at it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercuryg said:

What a daft response Monsta! If you bother to take the time to read any of the comments from the campaigners you'll see immediately this isn't about the tree OR Lidl's, but the tree AND Lidl's. Most of us are for the new store, but would like to see if it's possible to incorporate a very beautiful and established tree into the plans. What's wrong with that? As someone working in marketing, for Lidl this is an opportunity; "Lidl's provides much needed store to run-down town and preserves much-loved ancient tree". Of course, I'm looking at it from a purely personal view; I understand they will look at it from a business point of view. At least, so it seems, we are getting them to actually look at it. 

How's that daft do these people who signed the petition think the same way when there buying there living room furniture from oak furniture land. 

The answer is no like they say out of sight out of mind. they make me sick 

31 minutes ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Merc,  I think you have correctly pointed out the root system as being the real problem.  

That is likely to be the problem Malcolm, with the cost naturally being the prohibitive factor. Monsta, that doesn't really dignify a response. 

10 hours ago, Monsta® said:

Omg bedlington gets some much needed investment and a bunch of whiney folks cry on about a tree. 

If you bothered to find out the facts about the people that were campaigning to save the tree you would learn that they are not a bunch of 'whiney' (your word and spelling) people. 

The majority of them know it could be a lost cause but rather than just sit and 'whiney' (your word) on they have made the effort to try and do something they feel strongly about.

The majority are aware that it is only after the plans for the demolition of the Day Center and the building of the Lidl supermarket were passed that people became aware the tree was to be felled but by making the effort they have a slight chance of persuading Lidl to change their building plans.

The vast majority of them want the Lidl supermarket and the jobs it brings to the town.

If you bothered to do some research you should be able to formulate a constructive opinion, for or against, what some people are trying to do.   

10 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

If you bothered to find out the facts about the people that were campaigning to save the tree you would learn that they are not a bunch of 'whiney' (your word and spelling) people. 

The majority of them know it could be a lost cause but rather than just sit and 'whiney' (your word) on they have made the effort to try and do something they feel strongly about.

The majority are aware that it is only after the plans for the demolition of the Day Center and the building of the Lidl supermarket were passed that people became aware the tree was to be felled but by making the effort they have a slight chance of persuading Lidl to change their building plans.

The vast majority of them want the Lidl supermarket and the jobs it brings to the town.

If you bothered to do some research you should be able to formulate a constructive opinion, for or against, what some people are trying to do.   

https://youtu.be/pHPlNdguQ5I

26 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

Absolutely; a lot of research has been undertaken, a lot of advice given, and a lot of people have been involved. They are, buy and large, locals who have alos been inspired by recent events that have, directly or indirectly, shown how community spirit and a show of support by those in the community can go at least some way to inspiring change and improvement. In other words, the 'get off your backside and do something rather than whining about it'. Let's have more of it, whether it's about a tree or not.

• Like 1

So are people hugging the other trees I.e the pretty cherry blossom trees... guess not just like they never hugged the trees down wood side, which where cut down cause they blocked the old peoples light . Or that nice white cherry tree on the corner of cambo avenue. If they where going to cut down the conker tree at the stone bridge would people hug that. No there a bunch of whinies......

5 hours ago, Monsta® said:

Would you explain the significance of associating this link to  ' Dad cuts down a giant weeping willow tree - YouTube' with my comment?

I have nothing against anyone cutting down a weeping willow tree.

52 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

Would you explain the significance of associating this link to  ' Dad cuts down a giant weeping willow tree - YouTube' with my comment?

I have nothing against anyone cutting down a weeping willo

Nah 

main-qimg-659e7446a450102dbda594d08af92965.jpg

Edited by Monsta®

17 hours ago, Monsta® said:

So are people hugging the other trees I.e the pretty cherry blossom trees... guess not just like they never hugged the trees down wood side, which where cut down cause they blocked the old peoples light . Or that nice white cherry tree on the corner of cambo avenue. If they where going to cut down the conker tree at the stone bridge would people hug that. No there a bunch of whinies......

Are you? If you're so concerned about these trees, are you doing anything about it? What about the regeneration of the town in general? Did you get off your backside and Make a Noise last year? Or are you one of those who sits back and whinges that there's nothing in Bedlington, and leaves it to others to do something? Or are you simply apathetic about everything? Some of us actually care about local causes, what's the matter with that?

2 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Are you? If you're so concerned about these trees, are you doing anything about it? What about the regeneration of the town in general? Did you get off your backside and Make a Noise last year? Or are you one of those who sits back and whinges that there's nothing in Bedlington, and leaves it to others to do something? Or are you simply apathetic about everything? Some of us actually care about local causes, what's the matter with that?

Yes I was there were you B)

I've still got the sticker on my wardrobe mirror

Edited by Monsta®

7 hours ago, Monsta® said:

You needed to edit that? 

21 hours ago, Monsta® said:

I was. I was directly involved.

6 hours ago, Brian Cross said:

Monsta good to have you back there is some fight back in the forum

I'm not sure I would class monstas contributions as 'fight' Brian! I think he just posts obtuse stuff to stir the pot. Still, it's good fun!

In a politically correct World it's good to have someone speaking out.

However some of our local politicians are very quick to claim things are unfair.

Present  company accepted.

A meeting where any opposition is silenced because a claim of slander can be made is not a good way of doing things.

'Working your Ticket ' is a local tradition.

Now, today is Saint George's Day and within a topic called Saint Cuthbert's School.

Anyone  wanting to 'Work their Ticket' welcome.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now