Westridge - End of term class photos

• 2 weeks later...

Middle Remove 1959 - A Bill Lewis on the Sixtownships site posted :- 'No.4 - Jackie Henderson. No.27 - Wendy Fox. No.30 - Angela Gregg. No.37 - Vicky Elliott, No. 38 - Winifred Vince. This is according to my cousin Michael Mills, No. 9 on the photo, and friend Tom Logan, No. 22'

Only one left - No 28 to identify.

Photo updated and now added to the 'Westridge School - End of term class photos' album in the Gallery.

Edited by Eggy1948

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If no 5 is Jackie Hindmarsh,and it looks like him,then his twin brother was called Tommy,from Millfield,but the number nine doesn't resemble my memory of Tom.

They were both in my class at the Whitley,and I grew up,played down the woods etc,and eventually,Jackie delivered all the building materials for the National Coal Board,to all the Colliery hooses in the Bedlington/Ashington area,for donkeys years!....including to my first hoose at West Terrace,Stakeford.

Reet canny lads,both of them!

I'm referring to class middle remove 1958,Ray Barret was also in my Whitley class,he started Choppington High Pit,after me.

His Dad was Ventilation Officer at the pit,Uncle Joe was an Overman,Uncle Danny was a Deputy..all at High Pit,and Ray went on to the Surveyor's team.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8 April 2016 at 10:50, Eggy1948 said:

Not the clearest of photos but can anyone recognize any of this lot from the first intake to West Ridge 1958?

The photo was posted on the Bygone Bedlington site by Joan Muckian.

Westridge 1957-58 Joan Muckian with names.jpg

No 20 is Jimmy Bradley and I think 15 is Derek Whales

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terry Foote said:

No 20 is Jimmy Bradley and I think 15 is Derek Whales

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

Number 13 - Ken MacDonald

Terry & CL - the photo in the Gallery has been updated. Along with your updates quite a few more names added. 

Terry Foote - this one has just been posted on Facebook in the Bygone Bedlington group and the names I have added were written on the back of the photo.

Can you confirm the year & class name and add any more names ? 

Westridge 1957 Middle Remove 3 names.jpg

20 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Terry Foote - this one has just been posted on Facebook in the Bygone Bedlington group and the names I have added were written on the back of the photo.

Can you confirm the year & class name and add any more names ? 

Westridge 1957 Middle Remove 3 names.jpg

Hi Eggy I think the class was lower two or three. It's my pic and the names which are on the back are all I have. Regards terry

40 minutes ago, Terry Foote said:

Possibly the date is 1957

Cheers Terry - Margaret Speller had posted both sides of the photo on Bygone Bedlington site and when I saw the name Terry Foote on the back I remembered you had just commented on one of Jane Muckian's Westridge photos but I hadn't realised the photo came from your collection.

There was a comment, on the Bygone Bedlington site, by a Colin Sim and it was :- " 10 is Peter Low not George and 20s first name was Ivy". Do you agree with that ?

If it's Ok with you I will add your photo to the Gallery Album :- Westridge School - End of term class photos.

Edited by Eggy1948

1 hour ago, Eggy1948 said:

Cheers Terry - Margaret Speller had posted both sides of the photo on Bygone Bedlington site and when I saw the name Terry Foote on the back I remembered you had just commented on one of Jane Muckian's Westridge photos but I hadn't realised the photo came from your collection.

There was a comment, on the Bygone Bedlington site, by a Colin Sim and it was :- " 10 is Peter Low not George and 20s first name was Ivy". Do you agree with that ?

If it's Ok with you I will add your photo to the Gallery Album :- Westridge School - End of term class photos.

It's ok with me and thank Colin Sim. I hope he's in good health. Regards Terry

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heh heh!

This is the remains of the fi rst,and I repeat ..first...Upper Remove,and I would say it was taken after the 1960 summer GCE exams..[guessing on that bit mind!].

These aren't kids noo,they've grown up a lot since I left the class in 1959 to start the pits.[just as I was all hard muscle from puppy fat after a year  of hard labour!  Here we go.......

[4]Len Thompson [5]Michael Lucas [6] Ian Cambell [7] Eddie Hedley [9] Lorna Barker [13] Ted Smout [16] THINK! Miss Nicholson [teacher] [17] Lillian Moore

Racking me brains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind,half of the class is missing!....maybe some left to start work or failed exams and weren't present?????????//

I  also think that some of these pupils were integrated into the class after I left,cos I have written a list of those I can remember and out of 22 pupils, the ones above

are all that are in this pic.[7 out of 22!]

[15] Could be Trevor Hale,but unless he shot up in height,i'm wondering,cos he was a big broad-shouldered athlete at 15 yrs..the best runner in Northumberland at the time...a young Mo Farrow....nea bugga cud catch him on the track!...but he wasn't really tall....

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA
Additional comment and name added

I thought nr 16 might be the head girl. I remember the head girl as always having a 'sash' like the one she's wearing. She's also wearing the school tie which makes me think she's a pupil rather than a teacher. Just a thought.

Number 11 reminds me of George Mitcheson. Would that name ring a bell, HPW?

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Heh heh!

This is the remains of the fi rst,and I repeat ..first...Upper Remove,and I would say it was taken after the 1960 summer GCE exams..[guessing on that bit mind!].

These aren't kids noo,they've grown up a lot since I left the class in 1959 to start the pits.[just as I was all hard muscle from puppy fat after a year  of hard labour!  Here we go.......

[4]Len Thompson [5]Michael Lucas [6] Ian Cambell [7] Eddie Hedley [9] Lorna Barker [13] Ted Smout [16] THINK! Miss Nicholson [teacher] [17] Lillian Moore

Racking me brains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind,half of the class is missing!....maybe some left to start work or failed exams and weren't present?????????//

I  also think that some of these pupils were integrated into the class after I left,cos I have written a list of those I can remember and out of 22 pupils, the ones above

are all that are in this pic.[7 out of 22!]

[15] Could be Trevor Hale,but unless he shot up in height,i'm wondering,cos he was a big broad-shouldered athlete at 15 yrs..the best runner in Northumberland at the time...a young Mo Farrow....nea bugga cud catch him on the track!...but he wasn't really tall....

16 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Would love to see a 1957-8-9 set of pics of  Upper Remove at Westridge,wi me ugly little fyess on!!!

5 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I thought nr 16 might be the head girl. I remember the head girl as always having a 'sash' like the one she's wearing. She's also wearing the school tie which makes me think she's a pupil rather than a teacher. Just a thought.

Number 11 reminds me of George Mitcheson. Would that name ring a bell, HPW?

4 hours ago, James said:

No 13 is Bobby Cross. After completing his GCE, he studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and was in a few movies.

I will attempt to make contact with the originator - Allana. I did send her a comment a couple of weeks ago but no response.

Allana Smith Westridge 19nn names.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now