Westridge - End of term class photos

Anybody any objections to me gathering up the end of term class photos, with & without names, that have been posted on various Bedlington sites (many by Foxy ) and storing them all together in the Gallery along with the other albums in the 'Historic Bedlington' category?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Symptoms said:

Eggs, a good idea;  perhaps, you could acknowledge each photo (say, "originally posted by X or Y") so that in the distant future there'll be some reference point.

Symptoms - I'm hoping your seeing less of the posting than I am. On the majority of the photos I have added to this album I have added a title and a comment saying on what social media site it was originally posted and who posted it. There are some, eg westridge 3 - 1965, I had a problem when posting - Error 200 I think - and I could not complete the final stage of adding a comment. Even though I did not complete all stages the system had saved the photos. After the images are saved on the system, Error 200 or all 4 stages fully completed, I don't have the permissions to edit individual entries, or add further comments, in an album.

40 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

Symptoms - I'm hoping your seeing less of the posting than I am. On the majority of the photos I have added to this album I have added a title and a comment saying on what social media site it was originally posted and who posted it. There are some, eg westridge 3 - 1965, I had a problem when posting - Error 200 I think - and I could not complete the final stage of adding a comment. Even though I did not complete all stages the system had saved the photos. After the images are saved on the system, Error 200 or all 4 stages fully completed, I don't have the permissions to edit individual entries, or add further comments, in an album.

What I said before is not strictly true - I do have permissions to add comments on previously created albums, eg  'Netherton/Nedderton old photos 2' but in the new album  'Westridge School - End of term class photos' I don't.

Not the clearest of photos but can anyone recognize any of this lot from the first intake to West Ridge 1958?

The photo was posted on the Bygone Bedlington site by Joan Muckian.

Westridge 1957-58 Joan Muckian with names.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

7 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Not the clearest of photos but can anyone recognize any of this lot from the first intake to West Ridge 1958?

The photo was posted on the Bygone Bedlington site by Joan Muckian.

2  Bob Short

3 John Storey

12 Brian Watson 

13 Ken McDonald

14 Malcolm Jenkinson

Teacher Mr Nicolson

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John Fox (foxy) said:

You've got the two pics and names  mixed Alan, too many beers?........ second thoughts, I'm not sure whats right and whats wrong but if you bump into Number 29 Jimmy Bradley you could get into trouble!! :o

Oops - should have noticed that wasn't a Jimmy! I copied it from your previous post - what should it be for Jimmy Bradley - 9 or 19 or something else?

Only for correctness,Eggy,but I take the phrase .."First Intake" as being the very first to start  Westridge School,and,as already covered in another thread,this was in August 1956 ...not 1958!

My apologies if I have ignorantly mis-interpreted the phrase!

I would be really chuffed if you could find any class photo's of the Upper Remove from the years 1957-8-9..[1959 being the year that I left school..].

I wonder if any photos were taken of the whole 500 pupils together in 1956 when the school was [maybe unofficially!!] opened?

Maybe as part of a press report?

19 minutes ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Only for correctness,Eggy,but I take the phrase .."First Intake" as being the very first to start  Westridge School,and,as already covered in another thread,this was in August 1956 ...not 1958!

My apologies if I have ignorantly mis-interpreted the phrase!

I would be really chuffed if you could find any class photo's of the Upper Remove from the years 1957-8-9..[1959 being the year that I left school..].

No HPW, tha'ts the phrase Joan Muckian (No 22 in the photo used when she posted the photo on the Bygone Bedlington site.

So when I post this photo into the Gallery Album should I be saying 'First Intake 1956' for this photo or can you confirm that this is 1958 and therefore not part of the first intake?

Photo updated with some more names :-

This is th

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2016 at 21:53, Eggy1948 said:

No HPW, tha'ts the phrase Joan Muckian (No 22 in the photo used when she posted the photo on the Bygone Bedlington site.

So when I post this photo into the Gallery Album should I be saying 'First Intake 1956' for this photo or can you confirm that this is 1958 and therefore not part of the first intake?

Photo updated with some more names :-

This is th

Hi Eggy!

This is a 1958 photo all right,these lads and lasses are too mature to be 12 years old!,which was the age we started,with 500 pupils gathered from all the senior classes in the towns schools.

Some of these pupils are on my Bedlington Village Infants Class 1 of 1950,which I posted somewhere else on the site.

No 15 looks like Derek Wales,21 is Lillian Moore [ Sadly Deceased R.I.P.Lillian],30 looks Margaret Thackeray,an old childhood friend of mine.

Noo,Westridge had these classes wi [to me anyway!],stupid class names,Aa went into the "Upper Remove",after the first year,which was streaming pupils to sit G.C.E.

Aam thinking that this might have been "Middle Remove"...[then there was Lower Remove....],and wat has me puzzled is the presence of Janet Hayes,cos her

older Sister [Lynne] is the same age as me and was also in Upper Remove.

I said in the original discussions about when Westridge was first opened,in 1956,[remember?],that for the first few weeks,we wandered around the school getting to know the lie of the land,and also it was a long period of trying to get a curriculum organised for 500 pupils,with new teachers,all at once!

It seems that this class is a mixed bag of ages,with Lillian,Margaret,and Joan Wilkinson,Derek,and No 25,,all my age.

In the beginning,we from the Whitley School were put into the same class en-block.

Then as time went by,they started shifting us around,cos I ended up with a mixed class of Guide-post,Council and Whitley pupils.

I'm noo thinking the idea was that of integration rather than segregation!

I wonder if Vic's better half,and her Friend Maureen,now both in Canada,can remember any of this happening,to bear me out!

I can remember 70% of my classmates out of 40-odd of them,where they sat,and who each one sat beside!,mainly cos we all moved up through the classes

from the infant school,sitting beside the same mates![at the Whitley i.e.!]

Hope the names keep getting added to!

Cheers Eggy!

Noo,thas summik funny happening wi this,cos aa didn't put any different font in,and it was okay when a proof-read it!!

Same thing happened t'otha neet,me greet lang story had half of it crossed through with continuous lines!

Is it my Laptop,or a glitch on the site ?

16 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Hi Eggy!

This is a 1958 photo all right,these lads and lasses are too mature to be 12 years old!,which was the age we started,with 500 pupils gathered from all the senior classes in the towns schools.

Some of these pupils are on my Bedlington Village Infants Class 1 of 1950,which I posted somewhere else on the site.

No 15 looks like Derek Wales,21 is Lillian Moore [ Sadly Deceased R.I.P.Lillian],30 looks Margaret Thackeray,an old childhood friend of mine.

Noo,Westridge had these classes wi [to me anyway!],stupid class names,Aa went into the "Upper Remove",after the first year,which was streaming pupils to sit G.C.E.

Aam thinking that this might have been "Middle Remove"...[then there was Lower Remove....],and wat has me puzzled is the presence of Janet Hayes,cos her

older Sister [Lynne] is the same age as me and was also in Upper Remove.

I said in the original discussions about when Westridge was first opened,in 1956,[remember?],that for the first few weeks,we wandered around the school getting to know the lie of the land,and also it was a long period of trying to get a curriculum organised for 500 pupils,with new teachers,all at once!

It seems that this class is a mixed bag of ages,with Lillian,Margaret,and Joan Wilkinson,Derek,and No 25,,all my age.

In the beginning,we from the Whitley School were put into the same class en-block.

Then as time went by,they started shifting us around,cos I ended up with a mixed class of Guide-post,Council and Whitley pupils.

I'm noo thinking the idea was that of integration rather than segregation!

I wonder if Vic's better half,and her Friend Maureen,now both in Canada,can remember any of this happening,to bear me out!

I can remember 70% of my classmates out of 40-odd of them,where they sat,and who each one sat beside!,mainly cos we all moved up through the classes

from the infant school,sitting beside the same mates![at the Whitley i.e.!]

Hope the names keep getting added to!

Cheers Eggy!

HPW - Iv'e passed on your info to Joan Muckian, on the Bygone Bedlington site, and I will update the names later.

A Colin Sim ('not my class but same year' he says) named 24 & 25 and is asking if No 4. is Mick Riley.

No 4 is not Mike Riley,  Mike and I were good friends at Guide Post school before going to Westridge.

Can we agree that Westridge opened its doors in September 1957, my leaving certificate says I attended from then and I was there the first day!

I would say that his is  an A class possibly 3A? That would date it 1959

I don't think that is John Wright either as he was in the remove along with me.

BB

Will one of you ex Westridge lot please explain - 'the remove/upper remove'. 

BGS classes were, from the 11+ take in, 1A & 1Alpha, 2,3,4,5A & B for GCSE O Level grade, then Lower sixth & Upper 6th for GCSE A Level grade.

After the first year, 1A & 1 Alpha, were divided into Excellent, the A stream, and the Not so Bad, the B stream.

For those that passed the 13+ and therefore started in year 3 they were 3,4 & 5 X then merged with the Lower 6th. 

Edited by Eggy1948

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now