Old days

Pity the tongs went up in smoke (literally) many years ago! I don't think my mother was one for such new-fangled (lovely word) modernities. I think she only bought the hair tongs as the door to door salesman was my father's nephew. He was always guaranteed at least one sale in Netherton. He worked for a brush company - Ajax, I think it was called. I don't know how he came to be selling electrical appliances. Perhaps Ajax was branching out.

• 3 weeks later...

I recall you used to be able to buy light socket 'doublers' so you could have light and power -- elf and safety issue as the hot bulb was against a mains cable!!! and the joys of twisted pair cable with rubber sheath and outer twine wrap -- and the rubber used to crumble over time

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, moe19 said:

I came across this link that also brought back a few memories for me

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington.htm

Although reading the end of the page it says it is now a takeaway I don't think it ever has been

I think there has been a bit of confusion on the Martins Bank website. If you look at the page for Bedlington STATION Martins Bank then that too says 'Takeaway' at the bottom.

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington%20Station.htm

27 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

I think there has been a bit of confusion on the Martins Bank website. If you look at the page for Bedlington STATION Martins Bank then that too says 'Takeaway' at the bottom.

http://www.martinsbank.co.uk/11-50-00%20Bedlington%20Station.htm

Your right webtrekker

Also when it was Barclays it was not on palace road it was somewhere between Matty Robinsons and Keenleysides  I think now pulled down

I think the bank in your photo on palace road is possibly now somthing like hot mlillions or the likes ( I think they are the single storey buildings between the Clayton and the old domino 

Edited by moe19

1 hour ago, moe19 said:

Your right webtrekker

Also when it was Barclays it was not on palace road it was somewhere between Matty Robinsons and Keenleysides  I think now pulled down

I think the bank in your photo on palace road is possibly now somthing like hot mlillions or the likes ( I think they are the single storey buildings between the Clayton and the old domino 

No it's just vacant been like for years turned into a flat that no one wants

1 hour ago, Monsta® said:

It says 4 Palace Road on the bank's website, which is the address of Big Mama's I believe, and the Chinese next door is 5-6 Palace Road. Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things though! :D

3 hours ago, Monsta® said:

4 hours ago, moe19 said:

Your right webtrekker

I know these are Google street view 2009 images but the building that was Barclays building on Station street is still standing, and as Monstat says it's now a flat but I don't know if it is in use or still on the market, what was Martins on Palace Road still shows as Hot Millions on Google 2009

Martins Palace Road.jpg

Barclays Station Street.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

if you do take them t beamish - make sure they know what they are!! I have been many yrs and its getting better now but some of the articles they had and had no idea of how they were used but juts made it up!!

careful with hydraulic fluid - it is hydroscopic and il will no doubt be almost solid now with all sorts of nasty residuals in - the fire cement will be well past its sell by date but will have reached a stage when (if we are still around) folk can dig it up and marvel at an unknown geologic mass formed a million years ago

I remember when petrol stations had a big red thing of redex aside the pump. and most had a paraffin dispensing machine - the garage at Bedlington did -- where do folk get paraffin now for greenhouses etc ?

Pilgrim's right about RedX dispensers beside the petrol pumps.

They were conical in form, maybe 8"dia at the base and with a syringe sitting across the top.  You'd fill-up with petrol and fire maybe 4 squirts of the fuel additive through the syringe into the petrol tank.

Throughout the 50s and 60s my Dad had a RedX Lubocharger fitted to his cars (same unit was swapped from old cars when he got a new one).  He'd drill and thread a small hole in the inlet manifold, insert a brass nipple into the hole to accept the copper tube that went to the RedX tank (maybe half a gallon capacity) via a small brass tap.  The tap was adjusted to allow just the correct amount of RedX to be drawn into the engine by the vacumn in the inlet manifold.

Apparently the stuff is still available.

7 hours ago, Symptoms said:

Pilgrim's right about RedX dispensers beside the petrol pumps.

They were conical in form, maybe 8"dia at the base and with a syringe sitting across the top.  You'd fill-up with petrol and fire maybe 4 squirts of the fuel additive through the syringe into the petrol tank.

Throughout the 50s and 60s my Dad had a RedX Lubocharger fitted to his cars (same unit was swapped from old cars when he got a new one).  He'd drill and thread a small hole in the inlet manifold, insert a brass nipple into the hole to accept the copper tube that went to the RedX tank (maybe half a gallon capacity) via a small brass tap.  The tap was adjusted to allow just the correct amount of RedX to be drawn into the engine by the vacumn in the inlet manifold.

Apparently the stuff is still available.

Redex Fuel Additive Dispenser
23CM TALL
33CM WIDE

This one apparently sold for $265 .....

Redex_Fuel_Additive_Dispenser-20539-5572

Yes Malcolm, many folk I knew in my younger days used to swear by RedEx, and they'd probably know first-hand whether it worked or not as in those days we were always taking apart and re-assembling our cars, whereas these days most folk wouldn't recognise a piston if it hit them in the face.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now