Humford Woods

Brought up in the area but have lived away for many years. Where I am now (down south) it's a gloriously sunny morning. It's the kind of day where, back in my childhood, Humford Woods would be on the agenda (or a trip to Morpeth). I can remember trips to the open-air baths in Humford Woods (water was always freezing) and then in later years, seeing it disused. Is there any remaining sign that the open-air baths existed?

Humford is still a lovely place to walk but not much sign of what was there in the past.

Not long ago ,for old times sake ,I cycled down with one Grandchild.

He told me he knew how to brake. What he did not say was he simply put his foot out. On meeting the bin lorry coming up the bank there were some scary moments. Heart stopping if I am honest.

As a kid I often cycled from Cowpen to Bedlington, various routes. often the A193 along Horton Road and down the hairpin.. Another route I used was via Bebside Furnace Road & that short but steep hairpin. and also when the Spine Road first opened and it was pretty much empty, I'd cycle along that. Doing the hairpins on a single-speed Raleigh got me fit..

Glad your grandchild is ok!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now