Annoying phrases (spoken or otherwise)

mercuryg

At the behest of 3G I thought I'd post this, it may offer some respite from the heavy political stuff. 3G, naughty boy, irked me somewhat when he used a phrase that really annoys me: 'End of!' Not only is it grammatically incorrect, it rarely signifies the end of anything. I mentioned others that raise my ire: 'Do the math' - no, just tell ,me, thanks - and, spoken, often at the bar 'Can I get a...' - no, you can't, the staff will get it for you. Only yesterday, someone actually said to another, within my earshot (and that's pretty close) 'LOL'. She should have been shot, right there. What phrases annoy you? 

The only geordie phrase that starts to wear a bit thin after a while  is  someone  who  says  An Ye Knaa like after every two or three words, 

But at the moment I am tired of hearing from our politicians ,

We are all in this together 

We’re standing up for hard-working taxpayers, and  families

We want to do what’s right for the nation

Our long term economic plan

Reducing the deficit 

And a constant repeating of Mr speaker, Mr speaker, .Mr speaker.

The plague of "like";  it's everywhere!  I'm sure it started in Essex, like, on that stupid scripted reality telly show, and, like, it's spread like [not that like] the pox.  The young are to blame.  Bast*rds!

Oh, and the classic Toryscum ... "hard working families".  Again, bast*rds!

Edited by Symptoms

I get very annoyed when I hear the exaggerations “the town is reeling in shock, stunned or everyone is devastated etc” No we aren't, we may be annoyed or surprised etc but the use of the exaggerated words to imply everyone is almost incapacitated when in fact not everyone knows or cares of incident.

I never could understand the “rules” of our language but I recognise they are needed so we are all on the same page. I find it very annoying when the people who use our language for a living, like the newspapers use it so badly and to having to read headline over and over to try understand what they are saying.

It used to annoy me how the Americans change (use, abuse) our language (and spelling) but then it is always changing and as long as it is effectively communicating is it all that bad! But politicians seem to have their own language!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now