Hide Adverts
Newbedders

Bedlington History Society

Does anyone know when the March meeting is? It's scheduled for Monday but as it's Easter I'm not sure if the meeting will go ahead.

Bayardm - I am not involved with the Bedlingtonshire Local History Society but I do remember Maggie posting a 2015-16 program - see photo at the end of my message. 

There is a contact number & email address for the Secretary, Barry Mead, on the ANLHS web page :-

Association of Northumberland Local History Societies (ANLHS)

Member Societies/Groups & Organisations

Bedlingtonshire LHS

The society was founded in 1968.

Meetings are held from September to November and from January to April on the last Monday of the month at 7.30pm in Bedlington Evangelical Church.

There is no membership fee but £1 is charged for each meeting.

For further information tel. : 01670 861180

Or contact Barry Mead, Secretary by emailing [email protected]

However in a posting 'History Society' Maggie posted :- ".................For details of Where and What is involved phone - 01670 820088"

And within that same posting was an entry with the 2015-16 program dates with Monday 28/03/2016 scheduled as 'Blythe and Tyne Railway System - John Riley' :-

BLHS 2015-16 Program.jpg

The meetings has been rescheduled for a week later Bayardm .

That means it will be on the 4th April 7:30 Coffin Chapel.

The cost per meeting has changed  and there is now a yearly charge. Not too sure of the exact details because we have been AWOL for part of this 'History Year'.

Monday 7:30 Coffin Chapel , the speaker this month is Malcolm Grady, who is an entertaining and knowledgable speaker.

Victorian Gossip is the topic .

It must be better than all the gossip about today's issues.

So stop worrying about Bedlington for one evening and see how our ancestors dealt with life.

Tomorrow night the History Society is talking about the Northumberland Dialect.

Canny Lass you are needed at home

The speaker  is K Bibby Wilson

7:30 Coffin Chapel

• Like 1

My grandmother was born in Bedlington but our family had lived in Norfolk before that and she returned with her family while still young. I’ve not been able to find out much about why they moved either way but presume it was to find work in the mines. Can you help please?

On 05/05/2019 at 13:42, Walsham Wonderer said:

My grandmother was born in Bedlington but our family had lived in Norfolk before that and she returned with her family while still young. I’ve not been able to find out much about why they moved either way but presume it was to find work in the mines. Can you help please?

Hopefully one, if not more, of the members will have some info on the area your family lived but as Vic says some dates + additional info etc would be useful:)