Mad Dog? Bad Dog? Sad Dog?

Guest xyz

Guest missvic

Page 2 of the News Post Leader tells a terrifying tale of a postman who had his bag (not a euphemism) bitten by a dog (in Bedlington). The owner claims it got loose as her child let it out and is therefore not to blame. The postdude claims stress. The court ruled that the lady must pay £250.

Really I don’t think this story is worthy of page 2 news (or even a thread on the Bedlington website). But if I had to make judgement I would say the owner is to blame for having a mad dog.

What do you all think?

Page 2 of the News Post Leader tells a terrifying tale of a postman who had his bag (not a euphemism) bitten by a dog (in Bedlington). The owner claims it got loose as her child let it out and is therefore not to blame. The postdude claims stress. The court ruled that the lady must pay £250.

Really I don't think this story is worthy of page 2 news (or even a thread on the Bedlington website). But if I had to make judgement I would say the owner is to blame for having a mad dog.

What do you all think?

I'm sorry, but as a dog owner i feel it is my personal responsibility to make sure everyone is safe from her.

if she bites anyone, i would expect to have blame bestowed upon me, unless of course the dog is defending me, my family, my property or itsself.

and even if it was defending its self, i would still expect nothing more than a growl and for her to run away, rather than attack another living soul.

My opinion is, the owner is responsible for

a ) keeping the dog under control

b ) educating the child on the importance of not opening the door and letting said dog out

c ) ensuring the dog is not violent, and if it is, either have it re-trained or put down.

It is also my personal opinion that if any of my pets shows aggression to a human, unless prevoked, that that animal will be put to sleep without delay. who knows what it might attack next!

Anyone else got an opinion?

Speaking of dogs being let out, theres two Jack Russel's running riot around our street. They've been barking non stop since 5am (And most of yesterday).

When i got back today the old woman next door was standing in her doorway, shouting at the kids across the road to stay away from them. She said one of the dogs went for her when she went to close her garden gate.

Their mother came out and took them in the house - but i saw one of the dogs running after and barking at this woman walking by just before before...

I did phone the council to see if a warden could do something about it, and of course "Someone would be right out"

That was four hours ago... and the little shits are still out there being a nuisance!

Really I don’t think this story is worthy of page 2 news (or even a thread on the Bedlington website). But if I had to make judgement I would say the owner is to blame for having a mad dog.

What do you all think?

The owner has to take responsibility.

Where's "Responsible Dog Owner" when you need him?

Actualy, it was a her!

And.. the short answer is: 1300 miles away, in the sun! :lol::lol::lol:

All dogs can be trained, it doesn't matter what their temperament is to start with; the point is just how much patience the owner (trainer) has in getting it right. So clearly the resulting behaviour of any dog must be the responsibility of the owner. The trouble is that many owners haven't put the hours in to get it right - too busy with work/kids, etc. - resulting in lots of out-of-control mutts.

The problem frequently hits the news when some child is half-eaten by the family pet (recently in Liverpool) but often when you get past the sensational headlines you discover the owners leave much to be desired in the responsibility stakes - disfunctional families, criminals, drug users, 'white trash', inadequates, or just plain stupid (depending on your view-point). The cops seem to have come-up with the appropriate charge, of manslaughter, in the Liverpool case; it'll be interesting to see if the Court has the guts to 'throw the book at her' if she's found guilty. Sadly, she probably get 35 minutes community service!

What about dog !*!@#?

It could be argued that as it biodegrades it is environmentally friendly, whereas litter dropped by people tends to blow around for years. Anyway, any responsible parent would prevent their kids from eating the soil thus avoiding ingesting the eggs of the eyeball eating worms. But of course any responsible dog owner would be treating their mutts regularly against worms.

Responsibility? Who'll take responsibilty for anything these days!

does know one think about the poor dog! it might have been hungry! i know someone with German shepherds 3 of them and there locked in a passage all day every day! must be depressing poor creatures :(

why dont postmen wear dog proof suits or something ( taser gun, cattle prod ) for example!!!! i mean dogs like

to bite the postman i know mine goes wild every time the post comes.

does know one think about the poor dog! it might have been hungry! i know someone with German shepherds 3 of them and there locked in a passage all day every day! must be depressing poor creatures :(

why dont postmen wear dog proof suits or something ( taser gun, cattle prod ) for example!!!! i mean dogs like

to bite the postman i know mine goes wild every time the post comes.

Ha Ha you cannit go around cattle prodding dogs,anyway,for what its worth,i think dog owners are fully responsible for their dogs..it`s a bit like kids really,if you train them properly and teach them right from wrong at an early age,they`ll turn out ok :)

Ha Ha you cannit go around cattle prodding dogs,anyway,for what its worth,i think dog owners are fully responsible for their dogs..it`s a bit like kids really,if you train them properly and teach them right from wrong at an early age,they`ll turn out ok :)

As oz from auf pet says ... dogs are like kids .. youve gotta terrorize the little bastrds when the're young so you get no jip from them when the're older... but that might have been the other way round

all dogs should be fitted with them electric collars so you can zap em when there misbehaving!!!

your not too far from the truth...

apparently you can now buy a collar that sends a shock to the dog if it is misbehaving via remote control. apparently its been tested in the USA on dangerous dogs there, and has been used as dogs attack people to subdue the dog, and is very effective.

unfortunatly its not very nice for the dog, and rely's on the owner making sure battery's are charged, buttons are pressed etc...

not a method i condone tho...

your not too far from the truth...

apparently you can now buy a collar that sends a shock to the dog if it is misbehaving via remote control. apparently its been tested in the USA on dangerous dogs there, and has been used as dogs attack people to subdue the dog, and is very effective.

unfortunatly its not very nice for the dog, and rely's on the owner making sure battery's are charged, buttons are pressed etc...

not a method i condone tho...

i do condone it as it's a none lethal way of controlling animals! much better than letting them bite some one then having them destroyed! teach them to be more pleasant!! they use no lethal weapons on humans, like pepper spray and rubber bullets!

so lets no be "oh you cant zap a dog cause he's misbehaving" then he chews some kid up! better to act than react!