The Fat Controllers

threegee

Amazing that the powers that be at the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation have decided - that after three or four months of an unfilled "job" - that BBC TV doesn't actually need a £320,000 p/a Director of Television.

Even more amazing that BBC2 no longer needs to replace the departing Controller of BBC2 at exactly the same time.  The loss of recruitment advertising revenue to The Guardian must be painful too; can it actually survive on such thin gruel?

Sort of makes you wonder what these people ever did for their juicy salaries and their perks.  It certainly can't have been to ensure impartiality!  Maybe that satire on the BBC W1A wasn't too much of a satire after all?

The thing about the BBC is that after all these "shake-ups", and the taking out of layers of management, there always seems to be plenty of room for another pruning.

I would assume a Fat Controller listened to the arguments of the Thin Controllers and made a decision based on their vast experience and knowledge of what both the majority, and the minority of the audience wanted. 

I have nothing against repeated programs and whatever size of team is required to schedule these programs. What I would like to have is a Fat Controller that understands that it is only full programs that need repeating, some people may not have a method of 'catch-up TV' and we have to agree it would be extremely costly to to only show new stuff. I want a Fat Controller that educates the teams :-

1. the news reporter on the ground does not have to start their report with the same lines the news reader has just used and then stammer and splutter out two minutes of totally useless dribble cos there is no news to tell. Especially in tragedies when rescue operations are under way and trying to save lives. Leave the peple at the incident to get on with what they are there for and fully report on the story when everything is under control and some facts are known. 

2. Pay off 90% of sports reporters and so called 'experts'. For example, the F.A Cup Final. Have one person in the studio introducing the scene we are about to see e.g. a camera watching the fans stream to Wembley and enjoying the day. DON'T pay someone to stick a microphone under a fans nose and ask stupid questions. DON'T pay a team of so called experts to tell us a) how each team got to Wembley,  b ) what each team must do to win the cup c) don't pay a squad of ex footballers or managers wads of cash to analyze the game in hindsight. c) have one person commentating - 1964 Kenneth Wolstenholme on the early Match of the Day told the fans all they needed to know not a load of drivel. The microphone was never past across to another highly paid expert to repeat the commentary. (Don't mind paying for extra camera men so moves etc. from different angles can be shown allowing the viewer to work out what happened.). Scrap the after event analysis - stop paying worn out footballers that can't find a proper job, and failed ex managers to analyse what went wrong and what should have happened if the players, in 'Real-Time' had of just taken a moment to freeze play and work out all the options and then make the best play.

In every sport if the commentator is a highly paid expert why do they need someone else to back them up. If they are all such experts how come they disagree with each other. Sack the majority and save a fortune.

I could go on, but I would just be repeating myself!

We need a Fat Controller to sack sports experts and then when they are all put out to grass and wander round Liverpool saying 'Gis a job, have you seen Yosser Hughes'.            

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

I would assume a Fat Controller listened to the arguments of the Thin Controllers and made a decision based on their vast experience and knowledge of what both the majority, and the minority of the audience wanted. 

I have nothing against repeated programs and whatever size of team is required to schedule these programs. What I would like to have is a Fat Controller that understands that it is only full programs that need repeating, some people may not have a method of 'catch-up TV' and we have to agree it would be extremely costly to to only show new stuff. I want a Fat Controller that educates the teams :-

1. the news reporter on the ground does not have to start their report with the same lines the news reader has just used and then stammer and splutter out two minutes of totally useless dribble cos there is no news to tell. Especially in tragedies when rescue operations are under way and trying to save lives. Leave the peple at the incident to get on with what they are there for and fully report on the story when everything is under control and some facts are known. 

2. Pay off 90% of sports reporters and so called 'experts'. For example, the F.A Cup Final. Have one person in the studio introducing the scene we are about to see e.g. a camera watching the fans stream to Wembley and enjoying the day. DON'T pay someone to stick a microphone under a fans nose and ask stupid questions. DON'T pay a team of so called experts to tell us a) how each team got to Wembley,  b ) what each team must do to win the cup c) don't pay a squad of ex footballers or managers wads of cash to analyze the game in hindsight. c) have one person commentating - 1964 Kenneth Wolstenholme on the early Match of the Day told the fans all they needed to know not a load of drivel. The microphone was never past across to another highly paid expert to repeat the commentary. (Don't mind paying for extra camera men so moves etc. from different angles can be shown allowing the viewer to work out what happened.). Scrap the after event analysis - stop paying worn out footballers that can't find a proper job, and failed ex managers to analyse what went wrong and what should have happened if the players, in 'Real-Time' had of just taken a moment to freeze play and work out all the options and then make the best play.

In every sport if the commentator is a highly paid expert why do they need someone else to back them up. If they are all such experts how come they disagree with each other. Sack the majority and save a fortune.

I could go on, but I would just be repeating myself!

We need a Fat Controller to sack sports experts, and then when they are all put out to grass and wander round Liverpool saying 'Gis a job, have you seen Yosser Hughes',  the Fat Controller can resign, without taking the £2,000,000 bonus.            

Edited by Eggy1948

It's not just in Sport that there are countless experts & pundits being paid to spout drivel, you are spot on Eggy.

My pet hate is the BBC News Room, when the News at 6pm or 10pm starts. That News Room behind the News Presenter is absolutely  massive and all those empty desks. How come they need so much space, how come they need so many desks, how come they need so many reporters to cover the news. Years ago, there was Reuters who had journalists around the world and BBC & ITV would use the Reuters report to tell the nation that something had occurred in some far flung place that really doesn't concern us. 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now