Laser Lunatics

webtrekker

I heard on the news this morning of the Virgin Atlantic flight from Heathrow that had to turn back after the co-pilot needed medical attention following an incident where he was momentarily blinded by a laser being beamed from the ground shortly after take off.

Why don't they ban the sale and buying of these bloody dangerous 'toys' altogether and prosecute anyone in possession of them?

I realise they have probably one, single, legitimate use as pointers during a presentation, but they could get around that by requiring such users to be licenced to use them.

Last year I suffered such an attack myself along Hirst Villas by a few of our young thugs standing outside the Pantry shop in St. Cuthbert's Terrace. I was pulling out of Hirst Head, a good distance away, and was blinded by a green laser pen. It was actually painful and I suffered a headache for a while after. I raced down to confront (ie. clip) the thugs but they ran off. I have since seen many incidents of these devices being misused in and around Bedlington. Only last night I overtook two such idiots on bikes shining the damn things all over the place as they were cycling along Ridge Terrace/ North Ridge.. The temptation to run them over was overwhelming, but I kept my cool ..... this time!

This has to stop before there is a death.

Edited by webtrekker
  • Like 1

At the sort of range this would have been at it's likely more than a low power laser pen.  It's quite easy to get hold of medium/high power lasers, and they are relatively cheap.  Terrorism a distinct possibility; if not in this particular instance then soon.  :(

• Like 1

A relative of mine has one of these which has a 25 mile range,with a distinct fine,but powerful beam which would be seen for miles around at ground level,and is used as a pointer in astronomy to point out particular stars etc.

In responsible and educated hands,who understands flight paths of civilian aircraft,and only used on crystal-clear starry nights.with no wind,so even the furthest-away aircraft can be either seen or heard,this is a valuable tool,but  even after all that,I cannot help but think they should be either banned,or restricted and licenced to those who can show justification for requiring one for personal use.

One such night,a while ago,my relative was out star-spotting alone in the garden,in the early hours of the morning,and while momentarily testing the laser-pen out by flashing it quickly,in very short bursts,she was terrified by a whirring sound behind her back,and upon looking up,saw a strange craft hovering over the house-roof at a very low height.

After a few seconds,the strange-looking craft turned slowly and just whizzed out of sight.This story has been covered in another thread,if my memory seves me correct,and whether it was a military stealth craft or an alien craft makes no difference,it is obvious that the reason it appeared was to recon the source of the laser.

In the wrong hands,they are deadlier than a shotgun....i.e...the potential for disaster on a much greater level is present.

Do we really need them even for instructional purposes?....what was wrong with the good old-fashioned stick?...it was alright in my hands on syndicate work on courses that I attended!!

• Like 1

Me edit button just disappeared when a tried ti edit and dae a correction to spelling!!

Where is it?....this happened another time and a nivvor found oot why!!

In thwe wrong hands these lasers can do other sorts of damage. Two years ago, the oldest grandson (19 years) approached some idiot, who was having fun, in a crowded dance hall, playing with an illegal laser purchased while on holiday in Thailand. He politely asked him to put it away as it was dangerous. Did he switch it off or put it away? No way! He was so annoyed at having his fun interrupted that he smashed the laser into the face of my grandson causing a great deal of damage to many of his facial bones. He required extensive surgery, including a zig-zag cut from ear to ear over the top of his head to enable them to peel back all the skin on his face in order to get to the damaged bones in his  nose, cheeks and eye sockets. He now has metal plates holding most bits together and at this time of year he's in agony because these metal plates get very old in minus degrees.

That's terrible Canny Lass, no wonder people don't want to get involved these days.

HPW ...... Yes, what's wrong with just using a stick to point out things in presentations? It also has the dual purpose of bringing the daydreamers and class disruptors back into the real world! WHAAAAACK!!! :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Canny Lass,I'm shocked and really vexed ti hear about your Grandson.

I'm not religious,so to speak,but I do believe in many of the Bible teachings we were brought up by from being a child,and the one I REALLY believe in is..."an eye

for an eye,a tooth for a tooth",and also "let the punishment fit the crime".

If he was my Grandson,I would want to get this swine,no.....that is an insult to an innocent animal,this scum,and give him a good hiding,to teach him a lesson or two.

OOOOOOOOHHH! I maybe have stepped over the P.C. thresh,and shown myself to be a thug also............never had a fight in my life until I was also attacked innocently going about my own business,in 1989/90,outside my own home,10-30pm,in darkness.

The attacker was drug-crazed,and set about starting to "kick the s.... out of me.."[in his seething temper...his very words..]

He was head and shoulders above me,and half my age,[I was 46 yrs old at the time,and strong as an ox]

I backed off for about twenty yards as he kept pushing me,and throwing punches,missing me,as i was sober and he was drugged to hell.

But one punch landed right on my eyebrow,almost blinding my left side,momentarily,and I saw a red mist.

One fast left-handed uppercut to his chin,[a non-voluntary reaction],made both his eyes go crossed,his legs went like jelly,and he slithered slowly to the ground.

He was out for the count,but I just went for his throat to throttle him,cos I was now as crazy as he was,through no fault of my own.

My good neighbours pulled me off this scum,and thankfully he was o.k.,and he sulked away home.

When the police came,he had the nerve to come back out,and walked over,combing his hair,James Dean style,as if nothing had happened,and asked the policeman what was going on...!!

It's a longer story,but suffice to say that he never bothered me again,I learned that I could stand up for myself when required!!!

I often used to wonder if I could handle myself if the time ever came,and that night my confidence was boosted no end,but again,thankfully,I've never had to defend

myself physically since,although several times bullies who have threatened me,even recently,for "being in the way" with my little dog,have never taken up my offer

to come back and stand their ground...,because they are all big-mouthed cowards.

All these bullies I mention,have been cyclists who have been riding with no lights,no bells,and dark clothing,on the narrow footpath with no street-lighting,near my home,and who have nearly ran me over,riding away shouting obscenities,and threatening to "fill me in".

Sorry for going on,but bullies like this one who has injured your Grandson,always pick on people unexpectedly,or elderly or infirm people.

Your Grandson wouldn't have stood a chance with a laser shone in his eyes before the attack took place..that's cowardice.

I hope he made a good recovery,Canny Lass.

Thanks HPW. He made a good recovery and his face looks as good as new but under the skin there are a lot of metal pieces holding things together. When it's cold, which is very often here, he gets a lot of pain - the type you get when cold ice-cream touches the roof of your mouth. During the winter he has to cover his face as much as possible but he can't cover his eyes and a lot of the metal is holding his eye sockets together. It means that a lot of sporting activities are now 'off the menu' for him. 

There were plenty of witnesses so the court case was a doddle. The laser was confiscated and the lad got 18 months community service. He was also ordered to hand over his savings, all but 1 000 crowns (75 pounds) to my grandson. His savings were 16 000 crowns so  my grandson got the princely sum of one thousand, one hundred pounds. It just about covered the cost of return visits to the facial unit for a year.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now