Netherton Football team photo - 1937-38?

On the Facebook - Bygone Bedlington site Mary Mclean posted a photo with the comment :- "found this photo in my dads box can anyone shed a light on who they are?"

She's had two replies - 1 from Brian Parr -  Netherton 1937 38 football team the best ever winning 3 trophies in that season sorry no names and 1 from 

Meesta Sam -  2nd from the right, standing looks like my grandad Charlie Gray.

Nothing positive to help her identify anyone that could be her realative.

I know this photo is of generations before you two but Canny Lass & bluebary an you two help Mary to add some names to the photo?

Netherton 1937 38 football team.jpg

The guy kneeling on the right is the only vaguely familiar face but I can't put a name to him. The photo's taken15-20 years Before my memory would contain anything at all, but even when I try to envisage the younger ones 20 years on it doesn't get me anywhere.  Bluebarby. do you recognise anybody?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

The research I did last winter looking at football in Bedlingtonshire after World War 2 showed that a team from Netherton Colliery played in The Miners Welfare League for 4 seasons from 1948/49. They also had a Reserve Team that played in the Ashington Welfare League for one season only in 1948/49. The names of the players that I managed to get from the Morpeth Herald and/or Blyth News are in one of the jpegs below.

It just might be that some of the Netherton lads from before the War were still playing after the War

The other jpeg shows all the teams that I could find that were playing for the 5 or 6 years after the War.

Most of the teams did pay the players (as part-timers), so it wasn't uncommon for the better players to play for a different club (colliery/village) if the money was considered better. Players could also sign and play for more than one club, provided they were in different leagues. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 20.48.47.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 20.49.09.png

Edited by Ovalteeny
  • Like 1

Slightly off subject, but when I was searching through The Morpeth Herald for a snooker query I came across the attached snippet regards an annual Good Friday Charity football match in Netherton. Proceeds to the Children's Gala.

Netherton Hall Pit Old Boys versus Howard Pit Old Boys.

Some of the name may help identify those in the photo above. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 15.20.31.png

Edited by Ovalteeny
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now