Going places, meeting people

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

You do realise, that with no illegal immigrants you'll have a hard job getting workers for the olive harvest. You and the missus will have to do it yourself.

No time to follow the thread at the moment, but - as the above flashed up on my phone - a point of information:-

Olives are harvested by non-labour-intensive methods.  Several ways to do it, but generally nets are involved, unless a flaily machine thing is used on pre-rolled ground.  Whatever... there's no shortage of experienced drivers/machine operators/net gatherers in areas that have been economically devastated by the eurozone.  The only jobs for illegals would be in the raking the last remnants up.  You can't depend on this source of labour anyway: they are all heading for the legendary state benefits in Northern Europe, and mindful that Mutti Merkel simply can't get enough of this cultural enhancement thing. So, you can see their point: why stay in a place where you actually have to work to subsist?

On 06/08/2016 at 16:10, pilgrim said:

totally concur with the crunchy bacon chestnut thing - although in the light of ''brexit' whatever that is - this year we have put an olive tree in the orchard and it is bearing fruit (or whatever it is they grow) in case of impending shortfalls of the martini additives - promising so far they have the green things that look like olives but smaller. will update on their progress

I hope your missus doesn't get too uptight when you bring up the subject of 'Extra Virgin!' :D

• Like 2

we have no worries about DIY for the olive harvest as we only seem to have about 60 of the things so far - but with many more flowers yet to bloom, so I am sure even we can cope with this copious and abundant harvest! having spent lots of time in both Italy and Portugal and indeed on a farm inFrance I am acquainted with continental working practises - i.e. sometime next week... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webtrekker said:

I hope your missus doesn't get too uptight when you bring up the subject of 'Extra Virgin!' :D

she is very understanding in many areas - and has to be to have put up with me for so long... although something in the back of my mind connects virgins with unicorns -- both a common sight in the shire - I recall seeing many of both outside the domino in the early hours of a weekend  er I fibbed there... (runs and hides....)

Edited by pilgrim
senility
  • Like 1

as an aside - re the newspaper things about immigration camps in Calais and the threats involved -- I seem to recall there was a huge camp in Calais in the 1940's with lots of Mutti Merkel's relatives wanting to come across the ditch and populate our lands, for our benefit of course, and nothing happened then, and we didn't even have the same border controls!!! so it cant be that much of a threat!

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Symptoms said:

Blimey Maggs ... they're mighty steep mountains in Jockoland but it's good to see those Cooper's coaches making light work of the climb.

Yes, light work indeed, but don't forget that those Cooper's buses were developed years ago under a cloak of secrecy as a Black Ops project in Area 51, known locally as 'Annitsford.'

• 6 months later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now