Windows 10 for everyone

Brett

Folks need to be reminded about the possible implications of this (and other) upgrades.  If you have 'older' applications/programs and 'older' peripherals (scanners & printers) they may not function after the upgrade so it's crucial to run a Windows 10 compatability program to check ... you can then make an informed decision regarding the merits of the upgrade.

I run a local computer shop, and as such I come across a lot of people wondering about upgrading to windows 10, although I have to say the vast majority who had windows 7 or windows 8 have already upgraded.

Asides from some early issues with windows 10 itself, overall the upgrade process has went smooth, with the extreme majority of software continuing to run absolutely fine.

During the first 30 days after upgrading to windows 10, you can 'roll back' your installation to how it was before the upgrade.

The FREE windows 10 upgrade is offered if your hardware is capable (although in some cases barely) and you have a qualifying version of windows currently installed on your machine. This free upgrade will be offered up until June or July of this year, so if you want it for free you still have 5 or 6 months to decide. Most people who have the horrible windows 8 will have upgraded already.

Some older hardware that was NOT supported in windows 7 or 8 might even work again in windows 10, although as the posts above suggest there is a possibility of the opposite occuring.

If there are problems with hardware or software, typically the upgrade will inform you of this and afterwards you may have a file on your desktop mentioning any removed software, and it will often include a link to the vendors site so you can *hopefully* upgrade to a windows 10 compatible version.

Do read carefully when you upgrade as there are options to KEEP your files and applications, as well as a 'clean' install. Most of you will want to keep your files at the very least.

If your machine is running slowly, or if you are having problems with malware, viruses, popups, crashes etc, I'd strongly advise you get the underlying problem rectified BEFORE you attempt to upgrade as this is one of the main issues we have been seeing that can cause problems.

As the yahoo article above mentions, there is indeed a fairly large download - those of you on a metered connection, or using mobile broadband (dongles with sim cards and such) might want to get it upgraded on a different connection. I've already had a couple of customers wondering about bigger bills due to this so it's definitely something to be aware of. You can of course switch off the 'recommended' update section of windows update, or if you're really worried, set it to notify you before it downloads anything.

Should anyone need advice, or if you are having problems, give me a shout or if you know where I am, give me a call or come see me :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve said:

I run a local computer shop, and as such I come across a lot of people wondering about upgrading to windows 10, although I have to say the vast majority who had windows 7 or windows 8 have already upgraded.

Asides from some early issues with windows 10 itself, overall the upgrade process has went smooth, with the extreme majority of software continuing to run absolutely fine.

During the first 30 days after upgrading to windows 10, you can 'roll back' your installation to how it was before the upgrade.

The FREE windows 10 upgrade is offered if your hardware is capable (although in some cases barely) and you have a qualifying version of windows currently installed on your machine. This free upgrade will be offered up until June or July of this year, so if you want it for free you still have 5 or 6 months to decide. Most people who have the horrible windows 8 will have upgraded already.

Some older hardware that was NOT supported in windows 7 or 8 might even work again in windows 10, although as the posts above suggest there is a possibility of the opposite occuring.

If there are problems with hardware or software, typically the upgrade will inform you of this and afterwards you may have a file on your desktop mentioning any removed software, and it will often include a link to the vendors site so you can *hopefully* upgrade to a windows 10 compatible version.

Do read carefully when you upgrade as there are options to KEEP your files and applications, as well as a 'clean' install. Most of you will want to keep your files at the very least.

If your machine is running slowly, or if you are having problems with malware, viruses, popups, crashes etc, I'd strongly advise you get the underlying problem rectified BEFORE you attempt to upgrade as this is one of the main issues we have been seeing that can cause problems.

As the yahoo article above mentions, there is indeed a fairly large download - those of you on a metered connection, or using mobile broadband (dongles with sim cards and such) might want to get it upgraded on a different connection. I've already had a couple of customers wondering about bigger bills due to this so it's definitely something to be aware of. You can of course switch off the 'recommended' update section of windows update, or if you're really worried, set it to notify you before it downloads anything.

Should anyone need advice, or if you are having problems, give me a shout or if you know where I am, give me a call or come see me :)

:)

I always turn the windows updates off and I will do them when I want to do them.

Never update automatically, I'm aware from the patching we do at work that it's not sensible to even wait 'x' amount of time due to unsuspecting issues.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now