Dominion Geordies in WW1

Posted in the sixtownships Facebbok site and might just be of interest to members on this site :-

Anne Bower posted -  I live in a small Township near Windsor Ontario. Every week we have a free newpaper delivered a bit like the News Post Leader but not covering as big an area This morning when I opened it there was an article entitled First World War Project Seeks 'Citizen Historians' and then goes on - A global project has been launched wich will research the lives and wartime service of 'Geordies' from the North East of England - in the armies of Australia, New Zealand, Newfoundland and Canada. 
'Dominion Geordies in WW1 - funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council will seek to 'crowd source' research by recruiting volunteer researchers. The article is quite long but Information about the project can be found at -  http://dominiongeordiesinww1.co.uk/ .They are looking for people in the North East of England, Former Dominions and beyond. I thought some of the members of this group might be interested.

Project1.png

• Like 1

I wonder if this initiative stems from all they have done in Tynemouth.

The project that was started before the anniversary (100years) of the start of the First World War has thrown up lots of interest and amazing stories.

On this Forum we have stories of interest ref The First World War.

Our cemetery has War Graves.

It would be very interesting to find a local story to celebrate.

A project for everyone particularly schools in the area.

Someone has to have family who either fought and left Bedlington after the War, or emigrated before and became involved in fighting.

The radio 4 programme 'Home Front' could also have been instrumental in starting a search for stories.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now