Songs of Separation

Maggie/915

Songs of Separation is a collection of music out on cd 29th of this month.

It set me thinking about 'The Wife of Ushers Well' and other traditional songs.

i wonder what others think about living in exotic locations far from home.

The Highland Clearances and many of our ancestors left these shores for a new life.

My own ancestors are include in a clan 'Moffet ' (lots of different spellings ) in the States.

Maybe they missed home maybe not.

The film 'How to make an American Quilt' is all about a Black American tradition of making a quilt that belongs in your future but signifies your past.

Photographs are our past taken with us into the future but there is so much more.

i remember singing 'Water of Tyne' at school a tragic tale of not being able to simply cross the river.

• Like 1

Depends on what's meant by "exotic". There are 5 million of us British ex-pats, (thats immigrants living in another patriot's country) according to the UN who keep track of such things. Imagine if we all got sent home! The British Isles would collapse under the weight.

Songs of separation sounds good. I'll keep an Eye out for it.

Water of Tyne brings back memories of Miss Severs - shudder!

Miss Severs begum! Lucky for you Miss Jefferson at the village school had retired by you got there  Now she was a REAL battleaxe. She could have taken on the IS and the Taliban single handed.

• Like 1

ha ha! Miss Severs wouldn't have done a bad job either! Actually, I can't remember who was headmistress when I started at the village school. Miss Short was class teacher. Miss Severs started there a couple of years later as headmistress, followed by Miss Gair but before that ...? Any ideas?

Maybe these teachers were from another school that Millbank attended.

I can remember being in trouble with our teachers at Netherton Colliery and The Village. However the lasting memory is that these teachers and the school made my early learning experience safe, valid and enjoyable.

I think we were shaped by our experiences in school to become good citizens.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now