Welcome to the New Bedlington.co.uk

threegee

Exactly my problem Eggy.

Tried everything.

Then it seemed my user name on the site was required so I thought that was problem solved.

Nowp

Now I can get into the system on one hand held devise but not on another.

Same name and password used.

My guess is the a lot of people are giving up.

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎14 at 12:53, threegee said:

I don't see that 3 minute clause anywhere in the contract @Canny lass! :)  And, don't blame the shipper when your delivery office has a long queue - change your mail handler!

If you can't guess your own password then it's probably the right password, and you'd be moving in the wrong direction.  Anyway, please send me your bank account number - purely for testing purposes. ;)

Writing passwords on scraps of paper is something else that went out in the middle ages.  Use a secure password manager like Lastpass. They are generally free on a PC, and there's a small sub for the mobile platform.  If you use it on both platforms then the magic increases exponentially.

Password change? Have a look in your control panel and you'll find all sorts of interesting settings, including resetting that.  If all else fails then PM a moderator - THAT will take more than 3 minutes though.

I clearly didn't see it either! That should have read "few minutes" just as Maggie has pointed out. However, I am not apportioning "blame" to anyone - merely doing as I was requested in your post of 12 January  at 23.19 "if you have any problems or observations please post them on this thread".

I'm sure your advice on password managers is sound but  a password manager seems a bit extravagant for managing ONE password. My others, of the same type - mixture of small and capital letters combined with numbers in a random manner cause no problems. I can Always make up some kind of sentence that helps me remember the sequence, but then again - I've usually chosen the sequence myself. On this occasion I did not and fantasy eludes me.

Like the new set-up, by the way!

16 hours ago, John Fox (foxy) said:

Well...............I'm having no bother with pass words since the changes but I'm now getting messages (only while I'm on this site) saying "Anna wants to talk to you" I thought it must be a new facility that Fourgee had introduced to chat to other members................after clicking on the message :o :o

Jealous! Why does Anna not want to talk to me?

Andy(4G) - Is there a function that allows you to delete photos from the Gallery? I have added some info, within an existing photo 'Netherton Colliery school2 earyl 1950s with names' and uploaded it into  Historic Bedlington - Netherton/Nedderton old photos 2 as 'NethertonCollieryInfantSchoolc1951withnames' but can't find a function that will allow me to delete the old copy 'Netherton Colliery school2 earyl 1950s with names'. I see there is an 'EDIT' function but on this new system it only allows me to update the Album information, not delete photos within the Album. As yet I haven't attempted to upload a replacement photo and give it the name of an existing photo to see if it replaces the old with the new.

20 hours ago, Canny lass said:

...a password manager seems a bit extravagant for managing ONE password. My others, of the same type - mixture of small and capital letters combined with numbers in a random manner cause no problems. I can Always make up some kind of sentence that helps me remember the sequence, but then again - I've usually chosen the sequence myself. On this occasion I did not and fantasy eludes me.

Like the new set-up, by the way!

@Canny lass  Zero cost (on a PC) can't be extravagant, and one password for everything spells major trouble.  Anyway, how do you deal with sites that don't allow you to set your own password, and PIN numbers, and other private information?

A good password manager does ALL this for you on ALL sites/occasions, and also makes sure you have them on ALL your devices at ALL times.  It can also sign in to site automatically - that alone is a big time saver!  Everything could get stolen, and you'd still retain full control of your digital life.  The very fact that you do use scraps of paper means that you are avoiding the obvious solution!

I challenge you to install Lastpass, and then come back here in a few months time to tell us that your life has not been made a lot lot easier!

I didn't mean extravagent in terms of Money, rather in terms of what I considered to be reasonable and appropriate.  Not sure if I have any passwprds at all, other than for bedlington.com, that haven't been chosen by me and I have no problem remembering them with the aid of a short sentence. I've just never been able to come up with a sentence that fits the password I was given. You on comission for Lastpass?

2 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Andy(4G) - Is there a function that allows you to delete photos from the Gallery?

There isn't unfortunately @Eggy1948, content can only be edited for 15 minutes after posting to avoid abuse. For example uploading an image/posting a new topic and allowing replies and then coming back later and altering the original content so the comments are now out of context. If you click the report button and request it is removed however it will alert the moderators who can remove it on your behalf. Normally you wouldn't want to do this however and the info regarding the picture would remain in the description/comments.

Topics now support an edit history so we could enable editing indefinitely but I would be reluctant to do this when the gallery does not support it. If you want to message me the new image and send me a link to the image it should replace I can alter it for you.

2 hours ago, Andy (4G) said:

There isn't unfortunately @Eggy1948, content can only be edited for 15 minutes after posting to avoid abuse. For example uploading an image/posting a new topic and allowing replies and then coming back later and altering the original content so the comments are now out of context. If you click the report button and request it is removed however it will alert the moderators who can remove it on your behalf. Normally you wouldn't want to do this however and the info regarding the picture would remain in the description/comments.

Topics now support an edit history so we could enable editing indefinitely but I would be reluctant to do this when the gallery does not support it. If you want to message me the new image and send me a link to the image it should replace I can alter it for you.

Cheers 4G - I have more updates to do on the names added to the school photos in the Album - I will use one of the methods you have given me when I get them all done so hopefully just a one-off job. 

Edited by Eggy1948

When adding comments - to individual photos within the Gallery I am unable to use the 4 arrow keys to move around the written text. Every time I hit the arrow key it causes a 'Page up' moving out of the Comment box and 9 times out of 10 I loose what I have already typed and have to start again. Can't find a way around it, other that use mouse to click into position. Is it just me, and I will have to experiment more, or is this the same for everyone?    

2 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

When adding comments - to individual photos within the Gallery I am unable to use the 4 arrow keys to move around the written text. Every time I hit the arrow key it causes a 'Page up' moving out of the Comment box and 9 times out of 10 I loose what I have already typed and have to start again. 

Which browser are you using so I can test this?

Regarding losing content; In the past if you typed a message and then your computer crashed or you had finished typing out a reply and there was a connection issue after you hit submit, then you would lose the post. This version of the software saves your post locally in your browser every few seconds and the content will remain. You should therefore never have to start from scratch unless you're using a really old browser. You can even log out, restart your computer mid way through posting, come back a week later and your draft reply will still be waiting for you.

11 hours ago, Andy (4G) said:

Which browser are you using so I can test this?

Regarding losing content; In the past if you typed a message and then your computer crashed or you had finished typing out a reply and there was a connection issue after you hit submit, then you would lose the post. This version of the software saves your post locally in your browser every few seconds and the content will remain. You should therefore never have to start from scratch unless you're using a really old browser. You can even log out, restart your computer mid way through posting, come back a week later and your draft reply will still be waiting for you.

Using Google Chrome. There are times when returning to the comment, after a page up, what has been typed has remained but it does appear to depend on the amount that has been typed - as if a 'buffer area' still holding a limited (64 to 128) number of bytes (I still use the old terms). Most frustrating when a couple of full lines typed and that is lost. If I have a spare hour or so I will have a play and record my actions step by step. No problem using arrow keys when typing comments in any other forum - just the Gallery.     

9 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Using Google Chrome. There are times when returning to the comment, after a page up, what has been typed has remained but it does appear to depend on the amount that has been typed - as if a 'buffer area' still holding a limited (64 to 128) number of bytes (I still use the old terms). Most frustrating when a couple of full lines typed and that is lost. If I have a spare hour or so I will have a play and record my actions step by step. No problem using arrow keys when typing comments in any other forum - just the Gallery.     

Forgot to say I use a Desktop PC.

Just tested adding a comment for a photo within an 'album' and a bit more info gathered.

Within the Comment box - the up and the down arrows work as expected. The left and right arrows when used can result in the user being taken out of the Comment box and returned to the line of images - don't know tech term for the row of images, will refer to it as 'the strip'. This happens when you do not have the first or last image selected in the strip. So if you are typing a comment on a selected image say three in from the first and you use the left arrow key to go back through your text you are taken back to the strip and the image to the left of the one you were working on is now selected. Same happens if you use the right arrow BUT only if there is an image to go to. So if you are working on the first image only the right arrow throws you pot of the comment and if you are working on the last image in the strip only the left arrow throws you out of the comment box. 

If you only have one photo in the album you don't get the problem.

As for text - I can't repeat the loss of text when leaving the comment box. In this test the text was always there. Conclusion on the text - it was my frustration. 

9 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

Finding the unread topics was alright but getting to the latest unread posts is posing a challenge without a lot of scrolling through a long subject, is there a simple way to set up and save?

You can edit the stream so that it only displays discussions and you can change the setting to all posts you have not read, posts you have not read since your last visit etc. 

Screenshot_2016-01-20-11-42-04-1.png

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now