Welcome to the New Bedlington.co.uk

threegee

Well... we've finally gone and done it and moved to the new format!  Not all the previous features are back yet, and there are some new ones we'll all need to get used to, but we're surely getting there.

If you have any problems or observations then please post them on this thread.

Once things are stable we have a number of initiatives planned to move your community forward.  So... 2016 is likely to be a year of considerable change, and we do hope it's mostly change for the better.

When we first launched hand-held internet devices were almost unheard of, so the mobile support we slowly added was very much ad hoc. The new bedlington.co.uk was designed for mobile devices from the ground up - as you'll discover when you visit from your smartphone or tablet.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Well this was quite a shock..........didn't expect such a change.  :rolleyes:

If you hit the Discussion Tab you'll get things in the familiar forums format - this should reduce the shock of the new. ;)  Other missing features will creep back as time is available.

Oh no!  Well that was my reaction in the wee small hours when I attempted access on my phone;  I thought for a while the site had gone ... just like those dark days some years ago.  I'm now sitting at my desktop PC and having a look around and on first examination it looks good;  reminds me of when my beloved Guardian reduced from broadsheet size to Berliner size - I didn't think I wanted change but the new format grew on me.  Time will tell.

Now, lets see what it looks like on my phone ... I'll report back later.

On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 22:19, threegee said:

If you have any problems or observations then please post them on this thread.

As an interested observer* it's all working fine now but it was a bit of shock when the changes happened ... followed by a day or so when my laptop couldn't remember my saved login details. It's memory came back today and it now logs in normally.

( I registered last year when I was planning to move to Bedlington, and keep browsing the site even though the move didn't happen)

For info, I'm using Windows8 on a laptop, will check on a tablet at some point.

cheers, Pete :) 

Definitely different! I must just have a Little experiment here to find out if I now can

• cut and paste
  • post a picture

Experiment 1) If you hit the Discussion Tab you'll get things in the familiar forums format

Cut and paste seems to be working nicely now, thank you.

Experiment 2)

22 hours ago, threegee said:

If you hit the Discussion Tab you'll get things in the familiar forums format - this should reduce the shock of the new. ;)  Other missing features will creep back as time is available.

Quote seems to be working nicely too, Halleluja for that!

Experiment 3) post a Picture

Yes! that's the first time I've been able to do that!

I'm sure my posts will be much more interesting now - and possibly longer. I'll try to contain myself!

Now, if you could just sort out my wayward Capitals I'd be delighted.

IMG_0004.thumb.JPG.1d2f3d320adb0143b7e32

• Like 1

I forgot to mention - I've been waiting for an hour for the e-mail that was to be delivered within Three minutes to enable me to reset my pass Word. I've found the old one now but would still llike to change it as it''s long and cumbersome to remember. It therefore requires my being permanently logged in or scraps of paper cluttering up my desk and a great deal of effort on my part to see that these don't end up in the waste paper basket. Can I change my password - please?

Edited by Canny lass

4 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I forgot to mention - I've been waiting for an hour for the e-mail that was to be delivered within Three minutes to enable me to reset my pass Word. I've found the old one now but would still llike to change it as it''s long and cumbersome to remember. It therefore requires my being permanently logged in or scraps of paper cluttering up my desk and a great deal of effort on my part to see that these don't end up in the waste paper basket. Can I change my password - please?

I don't see that 3 minute clause anywhere in the contract @Canny lass! :)  And, don't blame the shipper when your delivery office has a long queue - change your mail handler!

If you can't guess your own password then it's probably the right password, and you'd be moving in the wrong direction.  Anyway, please send me your bank account number - purely for testing purposes. ;)

Writing passwords on scraps of paper is something else that went out in the middle ages.  Use a secure password manager like Lastpass. They are generally free on a PC, and there's a small sub for the mobile platform.  If you use it on both platforms then the magic increases exponentially.

Password change? Have a look in your control panel and you'll find all sorts of interesting settings, including resetting that.  If all else fails then PM a moderator - THAT will take more than 3 minutes though.

• Like 1

Logging in is not easy!

Every single time you have to say 'I have forgotten my password'.

That gets you to a page that says you will be sent information 'in a few minutes'.

Maybe that is the situation 3g for Canny Lass .

Personally I sign in with my new old password and then disappear to do some task or other and find I am signed out.

Hopefully it becomes easier for all users.

The present system with these problems must be putting people off contributing.

You can access all information without being signed in but in order to contribute you need the dreaded 'I have forgotten my password' button to renew the password you already have .You then gain access to reply to topics.

Trying to understand and find a solution to the flooding in West Bedlington is my initiative at the moment. Something  I think is of huge significance to any future building work between the Village on a ridge and Bedlington itself on higher ground. Given the state of the flooding at present it seems a short time until houses are affected.

Right  back to the topic with another picture.

25 minutes ago, Maggie/915 said:

Every single time you have to say 'I have forgotten my password'.

Do you see any error messages when you try to log in? I think what's happening is your browser has your old password stored and is filling out the form fields with the old info. If you clear the fields and type in your new username/password does it work?

Which browser do you use so I can provide instructions on how to clear that autofill info? It will be internet explorer, firefox, chrome or safari most likely.

I have tried everything Fourgee .

I wipe the previous info only to get the same result.

I am going to try signing out now and using a mobile.

Dare I say I Phone.

Now it seems easier to just go for ' I have forgotten my password' which I have not.

Leaving spaces between lines seems a problem too.

At the end of a line it can split a word and then I join the word and I have a spare line space.

17 minutes ago, Maggie/915 said:

I have tried everything Fourgee .

I guarantee you haven't :P

Which browser are you using so I can provide instructions to properly clear out the autofill info.

Please also email me the username and password you are trying to log in with.

What he said, and please note that recovering your password has nothing directly to do with signing in.  If you already know your password then there is no point in asking to be sent an email to tell you what you already know.

Make sure you are NOT clicking on the Sign Up button.  This is not for existing members.  There's a drop down menu to the left of that button.

You are looking for:

That "few minutes" is just a generality.  In fact on our mailservers there's rarely any significant delay, the wait is at the other end and completely beyond our control.  Your ISPs mail system might be backed up or completely unreachable, in this event ours simply keeps on trying to deliver mail every hour, until it succeeds or it finally gives up after a few days.  Mail servers silently talk to each other in the background, and the actual transfer of the email happens in their own time (when both are ready), and that's not when it's sent or when the recipient views it, but at some indeterminate time in between.  It might amuse you to know that this transfer starts with a HELO message - yes, with only one L!  :)

21 minutes ago, Bayardm said:

Just had to log in again. However beforehand the only thing I couldn't do was to access the Live option. All other topics were open to me, unlike previously when some topics were restricted to members only.

The Introduce Yourself forum is still restricted, and besides Live!, there will be other features that are non-viewable by non-members.

Signing in from my phone just now was problem free (as was from my desktop pc earlier) ..... I made sure I used the 'existing user' field so wasn't given the Maggs runaround.  However, an unfinished and unsent message (created during the wee small hours mentioned in an earlier post) was lying in wait for me just now;  it hadn't been saved so I don't know how it's entrails remained wriggling around waiting for me to finish it off.

Edited by Symptoms

5 minutes ago, Symptoms said:

Signing in from my phone just now was problem free (as was from my desktop pc earlier)

I think we've gotten to the bottom of Maggie's log in problem via email. 

6 minutes ago, Symptoms said:

However, an unfinished and unsent message (created during the wee small hours mentioned in an earlier post) was lying in wait for me just now;  it hadn't been saved so I don't know how it's entrails remained wriggling around waiting for me to finish it off.

This is by design. Replies you start are saved in draft form (locally on your computer if your browser supports it). Nothing is published or leaves your own computer until you click the submit button however.

Admin - I am just documenting today's attempt to login. Not after a response, I would think it was something within my system. As I supported ICL mainframe systems for 30 years resetting passwords for users that got it wrong happened all the time so I would expect it to have been me that was getting it wrong today - BUT just in case there is an intermittent problem on the new system :-

Unable to login today at 11:43 using stored password.

Cleared password from stored password field and re-input - login still failed.

Reset Caps Lock and re-input password - failed.

When I have had to change my password for various sites I move the last two digits to the front of the password (makes it easy on the old memory) just in case I had reset it 2 years ago - failed again.

Last attempt -  failed and locked out/suspended for 15 mins.

13:46 - tried again, using stored password - failed again.

Opted for 'Forgot my password' (or whatever it is as I can't see it now) and responded to the email by resetting my password to get in.

Chose the same password, that I believe I have always had, for 2 years and the system accepted me.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now