Windows Desktop Icon Hell

threegee

So, you've just neatly arranged you desktop icons and turned off the auto-arrange so that they don't screw up again.  Then you plug another screen into the lappy, and whoops... all your organisation is undone again!  That's what I mean by Desktop Icon Hell.

Is there a way of stopping this happening, and forcing Windows to stop moving things around?  Because when you change screen resolutions moving fixed size icons is very necessary, but when you change back you want all those changes to be undone, and Windows fails badly here.

Well, there is a trick you can pull shutting the desktop down with the Task Manger and restarting it, but it's messy and you shouldn't need to resort to tricks!  Enter DesktopOK.

DesktopOK is a freebie, and it does not need to be installed.  You can run it from anywhere you want (even a USB stick) and it saves icon positions in a plain text file in the same directory as you put the .exe.  It's small, fast, totally customisable, and you can minimise it to your icon tray.

The only minor annoyance is that the German author has defaulted it to German, so you have to select English yourself.  But - as it's a free gift - I say vielen dank and totally forgive him!  ;)

Recommended!  (I've virus checked the first - 114K - download only, and it was free of any nasties at the time of download)

And... yes, I forgot to say, it does work fine with Windows 10!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now