Recently Bought A Windows Computer? Microsoft Probably Has Your Encryption Key

Brett

https://theintercept.com/2015/12/28/recently-bought-a-windows-computer-microsoft-probably-has-your-encryption-key/

One of the excellent features of new Windows devices is that disk encryption is built-in and turned on by default, protecting your data in case your device is lost or stolen. But what is less well-known is that, if you are like most users and login to Windows 10 using your Microsoft account, your computer automatically uploaded a copy of your recovery key – which can be used to unlock your encrypted disk – to Microsoft's servers, probably without your knowledge and without an option to opt-out.

Yes, they are taking a lot of liberties of late.  I THOUGHT the lappy was simply upgrading Skype but when the machine rebooted I was presented with a Log in to your Microsoft account to access Skype Video dialogue box.  Needless to say Skype Video or whatever was immediately uninstalled!  Got a load of games and stuff I never asked for too, and apparently I own an X Box, and have all sorts of other "demo" slop I never agreed to.  Oh, and I seem to have subscribed to M$ cloud storage (One Drive).  Well that one came out at a rate of knots too, but remnants are still reminding me of the storage offer I simply can't refuse.

I've lost count of the times M$ has changed the default search on this machine to Bing without asking, and they are frequently attempting to change the default browser and browser homepage.  They now want to own all my software (oh, sorry "apps"!) through the M$ Store.  I suppose that in a world that was dumb enough to let Apple get away with this and more, it's simply par for the course nowadays.

"I've lost count of the times M$ has changed the default search on this machine to Bing without asking,"

Interesting, I have a coupel of month old W10 laptop and this happens to me. What can I do about it?

"I've lost count of the times M$ has changed the default search on this machine to Bing without asking,"

Interesting, I have a coupel of month old W10 laptop and this happens to me. What can I do about it?

Not really had any issues personally but I don't use the built in search or edge browser so may not have noticed.

I had to disable all of the metro features so the missus didn't smash the laptop for not doing as it's told.

They've already been penalised for monopolising browsers, it's practically malware.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now