Christmas Wishes

Brian Cross

dante wrote 'inferno' as a result of inspiration from doing a 'hermit' thing in a cave. many years ago i tracked down the cave and it was fascinating - agnostic shrimp, white spiders and it meanders on and on from the valley floor up to the top of the ravine you got the feel of the unknown journey.

and well done for spotting the reference.. we all travel many paths, often without a guide or a sense of direction, or even knowing what awaits and at the end is always the darkness ... but its life and its fun!!!!

Robert Frost, Maggie! One of my favourites. Love the open ending of The Road not Travelled.

Pilgrim, if you but knew the hours I'd spent labouring over various interpretations of sections of TDC you wouldn't be surprised at my recognising it. Because they are so numerous the many and diverse interpretations provide what linguistics professors deem to be an unending source of material for probing the depths of syntactical influence on semantic content. There was a time when I could recite passages in my sleep! Not any more but odd lines can ring a bell.

Edited by Canny lass

good literature shouldnt need to be laboured over, but grasped with both hands and an open mind and relished!! a sad reflection of so many 'literati' that are so far up themselves! - laurie lee's - when I walked out one midsummer morn â€‹was wonderful (lol probably have that wrong - but you know who I mean)

BRIAN CROSS - this all your fault -- learn and weep -- never post a Christmas card on here again or suffer the consequences!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to me a literary masterpiece can be a segment of a much bigger piece of sh**e, but if it sums up the emotion of a moment or describes something that i could not have expressed as well it does it for me - its like art - its art if it serves no purpose but is ridiculousy expensive.. but as i explained to the child - art is the non verbal expression of emotions. i think it was nicely put into context by an ex colleague at oxford - he would tell his secretary - no calls today i'm reading a book .. now thats what i call class!!!!!!!!!!!!

re the bus ticket thing -- it would be more worthy of research to analyse the DNA on them or perhaps the prevalence of proscribed substances (the data on such on bank notes is horrendous!!!)

Now that's what I call class as well! Oh to have the Power to be able to do that!

I can't agree with you about the bus ticket though, I'm sure the research you suggest would reveal many interesting things. My daughter almost died at the age of 3 months due to the widespread custom of pressing a silver - bacteria covered - coin into the hands of new Babies. However, the text on a bus ticket can reveal all sorts of things about the bus Company!

the search for a rural bus ticket is similar to the quark or the higgs boson - (one has more change of finding the jabberwocky than a rural 'bus service) we suspect they exist but no one has seen any evidence.. as we speak the child is watching cider with rosie at my insistence and loving it -it reminds me of the darling buds of may. war and peace is being broadcast over the next few weeks and I have told her that its like downton abbey in Russian which sort of interests her - one can only hope!!

I find that the halls of academe are populated by those that can and those that are oooo so bitchy 'cause they didn't think of it first lol.

now silver is an interesting thing -- do you know that it is a very effective treatment for bacterial issues??? it has been used in dressings and is now coming back into use (its worth a look up on latest thinking) its like a lot of stuff - many years ago I mentioned to the other half about the use of pot permanganate and she looked at me as if I was some sort of alchemist, but now its being prescribed, but only north of the border. I was with a local dr last yr and mentioned it - and would ya believe he is a believer !!

anyways - I am away to wyre and gimbal in the wabes -anon xx

Robert Frost, Maggie! One of my favourites. Love the open ending of The Road not Travelled.

Pilgrim, if you but knew the hours I'd spent labouring over various interpretations of sections of TDC you wouldn't be surprised at my recognising it. Because they are so numerous the many and diverse interpretations provide what linguistics professors deem to be an unending source of material for probing the depths of syntactical influence on semantic content. There was a time when I could recite passages in my sleep! Not any more but odd lines can ring a bell.

what all those (clever  expert folk ahem ) missed was going to the site and listening to the language of the local folk - it isn't some cryptic code or higher meaning - tis life and language - lay back have a glass of local wine and speak the text as it was written with the populace it was written for - then you will understand

"now silver is an interesting thing ... a very effective thing for bacterial issues" and yet silver coins were one of the greatest sources of infection for Babies. Says Worlds about the actual silver content in British coins, don't you Think?

Pot. permang! Now there's a name that conjures up memories of scrubbing Purple fingers till they almost bled. Used in medicinal baths, among other things, during my time. Gave the patients a rather nice, rosy sort of glow.

Oh, happy Days!

Nothing new there, I'm afraid Pilgrim. Swathes of hot air, vast rippling belches, falling into black holes and causing outbursts - not to mention the Deep red light or things being clinched as a belch rather than a gulp - together with the Close proximity of a super massive black hole ( I read something completely different there! I must have been distracted by that AAS meeting directly above) are what my day, and that of several others,  is made of!

Edited by Canny lass

alack and alas - we have found the answer but find it has been subverted by malefactors lol - i always did like the soliloquay of the gatekeeper in macbeth, when he rumnates on alcohol -- its gives one the urge but takes away the performance

perhaps we should all link hands and sing - 'oh happy days' whilst being bathed in a rosy glow

• 10 months later...
Just now, Canny lass said:

I've hardly got my pumpkin put away and here you are celebrating Christmas!! Have you no shame young man!

Just so the Expats can get a listen to the twang for a few weeks, and if a didn't post it whilst a remembered a would forget, a think, possibly, but not sure, mebees......

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now