Street lighting

Steve

Recently at my place of business I received a leaflet informing me that they were replacing the street lighting with LED lighting.

Anyone who has friends, relatives or who frequents Ashington will be able to tell you the affect it has had in their areas. I first became aware of this when an elderly client informed me she was now frightened to go out of her house after dusk as the lighting was so poor.

The LED lights will illuminate an area directly underneath the lamppost that is only a few square metres. further away that 10 metres and it is absolutely pitch black. I visited the clients street to see for myself and indeed there were so many dark areas that I could immediately understand how she was feeling. There is more light given off by the waxing moon on a cloudy evening!

Since this I have spoken to many in the Ashington area who feel exactly the same. I even got in touch with the council on her behalf but they weren't interested in the fact that now everywhere up there is in darkness and wanted me to list individual addresses. Nothing is likely to be done to rectify the situation and anyone wary of what might be hiding in the shadows is now forced to stay inside after dark. Local residents have taken to leaving outside lights on so that the pavement can be lit up around their doors.

Park road in Ashington is a great example if you drive that way - unless someone is directly under a light, wearing fluorescent clothing then they become invisible. But do check out the other streets, rows and avenues.

LED's are great if they're pointing in the direction you're looking, or in a small space - they'll light up the area in front with their narrower beams. Streetlights point down so just light up the foot of the pole they're attached to. A small bright arc, dazzling if you're looking directly at it, but darkness all around. Crime rates seem to be on the increase in Ashington too - could be something else, but....

So... I'm quite worried for local residents with the current plan to remove our street lighting. NCC will say it's costs, savings... At what cost I might ask?? Add to this that the cheap lighting has already proved costly to repair due to the poor quality of the drivers for the LED which are frequently failing...

If it's costs - Where are our council tax reductions? Instead we have the sixth highest council tax in the country - even significantly more expensive than the likes of Kensington in London!!

Views? (or lack of if you already have these useless streetlights!)

• 1 month later...

Strange how some things get implemented without consultation or trial periods.

I think of Bananas and light bulbs, other EU failures.

I drive with headlights through villages at night, not wanting to "pick up" a "sensible pedestrian" wearing coal black clothing, and dip them only by oncoming traffic.

Bicycle paths are well illuminated though.

There's still 1500 gas streetlamps being used in London, complete with a squad of  lamp-lighters who go around winding-up the clockwork timers.  There was an article in the beloved Guardian about it last year ... I tried to paste the link but failed (on my Android phone).  Just Google "gas streetlamps in London" to find the Guardian link.

Edited by Symptoms

Got t o be the worst lighting ever. Powers above got it totally wrong this time. Our estate is now so dark it's not safe to go out. Can't wait to trip over and put a MASSIVE claim in lol.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2016 at 19:57, Symptoms said:

There's still 1500 gas streetlamps being used in London, complete with a squad of  lamp-lighters who go around winding-up the clockwork timers.  There was an article in the beloved Guardian about it last year ... I tried to paste the link but failed (on my Android phone).  Just Google "gas streetlamps in London" to find the Guardian link.

More pictures in The Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2848038/The-magical-job-Britain-Enchanting-story-gas-street-lights-five-men-burning-just-did-Dickens-day.html

Gas.thumb.jpg.01a84e3fbcd51e6a02f1e3643a

Edited by Eggy1948

• 2 weeks later...

Aye ,Steve,it's like aav got a haaf-moon shinin' up me drive noo,cos the street leet is reet ootside me door!

Wor bedrooms are darker inside noo,so it suits me Wife and Son who are bad sleepers,but a can understand aroond your place,cos me [deceased] Mother-in-law

used ti live up the cul-de-sac,aroond from your shop,it'll be dark as hell where the folks' back doorways are.

When aav been driving aroond the place at neet,aal owa Ashington,Blyth,Morpeth,and Bedlington,aav tuk notice of a canny few leets failing aalriddy,after only a few weeks!!.......COST-SAVING?...a think the suppliers and manufacturers have a lot of explaining ti dae!!

When a think hoo my "Dog-waakin'" cree-led torch lights the road up 300 yards,ahead,like car headlights,and runs for 100 hours on two "Penlight" batteries,and fits in thi palm of me hand.......THESE streetleets shud hae cost coppers runnin' on aboot ten watts apiece!

Whey that's MY opinion anywheh!!

Cheers Steve,aal see yi soon!

Taaking aboot lights,aav got two TEN WATT Cree-Led security lamps ti put up in place of the 150 -watt Halogens that are up there ootside,so aal see what difference there is when they are up,cos it'll be a gud comparison ti mek....relatively-speaking of course!

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2016 at 19:17, Colin said:

Our estate is now so dark it's not safe to go out. Can't wait to trip over and put a MASSIVE claim in lol.

Maybe you're near me, if you are careful you don't fall into the potholes, they're too deep to 'trip' over! Somewhere I got some pics of old Iights and new, while they were changing them.. Heck of a difference, in reality though.. It ain't half darker.

My local highway agency is conducting a trial of whipping out and replacing the lamp units at the top of each alternate post where I live.  The new units remain off until they sense movement (me and my woof or an approaching vehicle) ... the aim of the trial is about reducing energy consumption.  I like how much darker the street is now.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's one of the 'new improved' lights with some of the old lights in the distance for a comparison, no prizes for guessing which one works better!

The old orange lights were around 40 times further away from me.

The 'new' lights are like watered down 'moonshine' lol

Scared to leave your house after dark? Complain to NCC now, or contact your local councilor.. Demand that your safety be restored. We've become too complacent and put up with lack of services for far too long now, together we CAN make a difference.

Of course NCC will still say it's a 'success', a 'benefit to the community', 'money well spent'... and when they eventually have too many claims made against them - they'll blame 'government cuts' and say it was someone elses fault.

IMG_20160121_181804.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/26/2016 at 11:17, Symptoms said:

My local highway agency is conducting a trial of whipping out and replacing the lamp units at the top of each alternate post where I live.  The new units remain off until they sense movement (me and my woof or an approaching vehicle) ... the aim of the trial is about reducing energy consumption.  I like how much darker the street is now.

That's a nice idea, as long as they do give off real light that is usable for humans to see what's around.

I too like the dark, but for many it has made going outside on an evening too daring to even consider - so sad, one woman was almost in tears telling me how she felt 'trapped' in her own house because of the fear of who *might* be lurking in the shadows. Elderly (or indeed any age) should not be scared to venture outside - and they weren't until the mass exodus of street lighting.

Of course, am sure we'll be keeping the eu dictators happy in doing so, and the extra costs will be passed on to the very people who are now scared.

• 2 months later...

Has there been a change in bulb perhaps?

Running in period?

I agreed at the begining, the lighting seemed very poor in comparison to what was there before, but either a change has been made, or I'm just used to them now, as walking the dog 'round my mothers estate (up by Red House Farm) it seems to be bright enough now.

Is that just me getting used to the lower light levels? or was a change made?

Where I live, I have a light right outside, so I feel your pain High Pit Wilma!
Hevier curtains did the trick though.

Extract from http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/Highways/Roads/Lights.aspx

We’re modernising street lighting in Northumberland by investing £25 million in new technologies. Nearly 17,000 lampposts will be replaced and all street lights will be fitted with new LED lights.

Work began this spring on an ambitious £25 million project to modernise all street lights in Northumberland during the next three years.

The council’s appointed contractor, Galliford Try, will be replacing about 29,000 lights with eco-friendly lighting emitting diode (LED) technology. Old concrete and steel columns will also be replaced by steel ones.

Benefits of LED lighting

LED lights will reduce energy costs by more than 60% and ultimately save about £300,000 per year. The cost of maintenance should also decrease by 60%.

The fittings will emit a whiter light, making street lighting appear brighter.

The project is being funded by an Invest to Save initiative, where the funding will be repaid within 25 years from the anticipated budget savings of about £300,000 a year.

Your questions answered

When is this work going to take place?
Work started in March 2015 in the southeast of the county and will continue for three years.

How much notice will I receive if works are to be carried out in my street?
You will receive a reminder postcard a couple of weeks before work begins. Look out for the notification boards placed around lighting columns to let you know our contractor will begin work in your area shortly.

How long will the workmen be in my road?
For a straightforward replacement of lanterns, the works should take about 20 minutes per street light to complete. Occasionally the electricity supply to the street light will need to be disconnected and reconnected, which will take longer.

Please be reassured the old street light will remain in place and lit until the electricity supply can be switched across to the new LED light.

Will the workmen require access to my property?
Our operatives do not require access to you property. Anybody claiming to need access could be a bogus caller.

How many lights are there in Northumberland?
We currently maintain:

46,531 street lighting columns (or lampposts)

2,625 illuminated traffic signs

1,360 illuminated bollards

What is the new technology?
LEDs give the ability to vary lighting levels to control energy consumption.

What are the benefits?
LED street lights typically use around half the amount of energy used by existing street lights in Northumberland. With the new technology lasting longer, there will only be minimal maintenance required.

How much money and carbon will we save?
On completion, and after dealing with the loan repayment, it is hoped we will save about £300,000 per year. The carbon footprint of the street lighting stock will reduce by more than 5,000 tons of carbon dioxide.

Will the lampposts be painted?
Our plan is to seek views on the various colours to be used in and around town centres and areas of special interest. This may involve additional costs to the relevant town or parish council.

My street seems darker since the fitting of the LED lights. Why is this?
When lighting with white lights, the lighting levels need to be slightly reduced to prevent glare or dazzle. The LED lights are also manufactured and fitted to help reduce light pollution, ensuring footpaths and roads are well lit but avoiding an intrusion of light into people’s homes and gardens.

The sole function of the street lighting is to light the highway to ensure the council meets its duty of care to road and footpath users.

My street seems to be more brightly lit. Why is this?
Some streets in Northumberland still have the old lighting type, which doesn’t meet current lighting standards. Because of this, they require replacing to bring them up to recommended standards.

How will the new lights affect street safety?
LED lights will help support better crime detection as it improves images captured at night from CCTV, as well as allowing clothing colours and car registration numbers to be more easily identified. This will make our streets safer and help in giving a more accurate description to police.

If the council wants to save money, why doesn’t it look at turning the lights down during the night when there are fewer people and vehicles around?
The new LED lights will be fitted with technology that enables the council to ‘dim’ street lighting at certain times. Many local authorities now use this method or even ‘part-night lighting,’ where they turn lights off on certain roads between midnight and 6am.

In Northumberland, we want to ensure roads remain lit at all times. However, in order to ensure maximum savings, we will be looking at dimming the LED lights between midnight and 6am.

How can we let the council know our views on the project?
Contacting the project manager, Gavin Barlow, on 01670 622 980 or by email at gavin.barlow@northumberland.gov.uk
How do I let the council know what I thought of the work once it is finished?
You will receive a card though your letterbox, asking you to feedback any comments – positive or negative - about how the work was carried out in your street.

You can also contact project manager Gavin Barlow on 01670 622 980 or by email at gavin.barlow@northumberland.gov.uk

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now