Xmas Lights

Kinda knocks your end in when this happens but do we let the winnits of society win..............

One thing has changed these days...............I have just pushed through a zero tolerance policy in council so if we find out who did this they WILL be in court and I WILL ask for punitive damages!  

Good luck with that Mal

Don't get me wrong, I know from my own experiences there are some terrible yobs in Bedlington hell bent on causing nothing but trouble, but I also understand the saying, 'The Devil finds work for idle hands.'

Now, it may be that the offender was older, but my money would be on the younger ones floating around the town every night with nothing to do except cause mischief.

What I'm driving at here is that Bedlington provides NO facilities to otherwise engage these young people. Isn't it  about time this problem was properly addressed to give our young folk a town to be proud of?

Edited by webtrekker

Problem with this kind of prank is that it soon wakes the competitive instinct of like-minded individuals. You may have heard of 'Julbocken i Gävle' (The Christmas goat in Gävle). The goat, made of straw and decorated with red ribbons is a traditional Xmas symbol here. In 1966 the town of Gävle placed a huge Xmas goat, 13 metres high, 7 metres long, on the town square just to spread a bit of Christmas cheer. It was made by the lads of the local fire brigade in their off duty hours (and still is). It was only there a few days until it was burned to the ground. It's been burned down almost every year since. They have had CCTV surveillance, neighbourhood watch, and even drenched it in some  non-flammable chemical - which worked but the goat looked like a drowned rat and this method was therefore abandoned the following year. Now they have round the clock hired guards whose wages are paid partly by the council and partly by public donation. This event makes the news every year, not just here but halfway around the world! The sad thing is it's thought not to be just kids and it's thought not to be just the local people who are perpetrating the crime. Word has spread and it seems to have become something of a challenge to set fire to the goat. Let's hope this is not what's happening with the Xmas tree. The crime, it has now been decided, is to be labelled both sabotage and arson so a heavy penalty awaits anyone who's caught setting fire to the goat from now on.

Perhaps all of us who are upp and about in the wee small hours can follow Vic's axample and take a peep at the tree now and then. I hope you find the idiots Malcolm!

Some of us are trying to do something along those lines webtrekker but I am not going to use it as an excuse.  

That's fine Malcolm. I realise you're doing your best and that not all problems have a simple solution. Also, most solutions need to be funded and are in direct competition with other much-needed projects.

Had a ride down the front street Friday night, the lights look fantastic, it's the best display I have seen in Bedlington. Well done to thoes involved in putting this together. Just one question, are the lights on the trees white or blue. They looked blue to me but my wife insisted they were white?

Also went down the station, not may lights there but the beer was good in the club.

It's just ridiculous; what pleasure is to be gained from that sort of act? The tree looks great, and I must also add that the town itself - despite some obvious drawbacks - also looks great; the green and gold railings around the roundabout really do make a difference, and the flower displays have been beautiful, so credit to WBTC and others iinvolved for their efforts.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now