Netherton Dining Centre 1921

Canny Lass - another one to show the grandchildren what life was like, before your time, in Netherton

Posted by Graeme Ogle in Bygone Bedlington :- 

post-3031-0-53543900-1446546519_thumb.jp

and a couple of comments posted with it were~:-

What was the Netherton Dining Centre?

Like Â· Reply Â· 22 hrs
12107949_10206037220384382_7535556823663
Graeme Ogle Something to do with the miners strike

Eileen Owen its great to see some one on about netherton we lived at 10 first street my dad was fred gibson

Like Â· Reply Â· 13 hrs
12107949_10206037220384382_7535556823663
Graeme Ogle I was young but I remember going to my Uncle Ernies and Aunty Dollys they lived at the end of one of the streets, do those names ring any bells

I haven't ever Heard of this and looking at the building I can't place it anywhere other then Howard House, or the Weslyan Chapel as everything else was brick built in my day. It's also very reminiscent of the junior school at Netherton Village and could be - depending on when the name changed. I Think it might be a bit early to have anything to do with miner's strikes but it could have something to do with post-war poverty.

Had a look through the Netherton Album and there is one photo, but still guessing, that could show where the Dining Centre was. One end of Office Row at the colliery?

post-3031-0-75583800-1446640339_thumb.jp

I will see if the originator, Graeme Ogle, has any idea.

Probably a 'soup kitchen' for striking miners families.  There was a strike in 1921 when the Government gave back the pits to the 'coal owners' after war time nationalisation.  The miners were 'sold out' by the railway workers and the transport workers and so lost the fight (sounds familiar - a bit like when the the DUM & Nacods 'stiffed' the NUM in more recent times).  See here for National Archive link:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabinetpapers/alevelstudies/strike-buildup.htm

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now