NCC Consultation.

Just a question Malcolm, but is this going to actually constitute a consultation - in other words, will they ask for our opinions - or are we simply going to be told 'this is what you're getting'? (I understand, of course, it's not of your doing - not shooting the messenger!)

Paul I think that a little unfair; NCC is also a day job so I would expect it to be on a weekday, and there's plenty time to drop in on the way home from the office. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I've seen the actual presentation....

NCC is also a day job so I would expect it to be on a weekday, and there's plenty time to drop in on the way home from the office. 

I'm not sure how its unfair.. if the purpose of the event is to consult with the public then it should be held at a time when the majority of the public can actually attend rather than what's most convenient for NCC staff.

If it is really believed to be important and not just seen as lip service I would expect to see A) more than one session, B ) timing that makes it accessible to the majority of people and C) more publicity.

I hope its going to be worthwhile - I've had to cancel two events to be able to come along, but I can imagine seeing statements in 6 months time saying "we gave the people of Bedlington chance to have their say on proposals and barely anyone turned up".

Slightly harsh but it reminds me of a book I once read...

"But the plans were on display . . ."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a torch."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice, didn't you?"

"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard."

Edited by _pauls
  • Like 2

I can imagine seeing statements in 6 months time saying "we gave the people of Bedlington chance to have their say on proposals and barely anyone turned up".

Slightly harsh but it reminds me of a book I once read...

Couldn't agree more with that Pauls, they really need to get it right this time because they're not going to be able to......  "Blame the Last Administration"

Well, it's a start toakley1965! However, I'm not sure about the idea that it "starts as rapidly as possible but takes a patient approach". Deadline for the stage 1 submissions is no more than 12 Days away. Thats hardly enough time to get your pencil sharpened never mind plan a town centre! Stage 2 date is "yet to be confirmed" - and we all know how long that to take.

When I read through the 'competition' I kept getting deja vu. like I heard a lot of it before so off I went to investigate and guess what…parts of the design brief are almost word for word what was said in the layout newsletter months ago. 

And has anyone noticed that this phrase keeps getting repeated 'Bedlington is / has always been  a priority' for NCC? I've heard it from Cllr Wallace (8th July, Chronicle), Steve Mason, (1st May, NCC website), Dean Jackson (19th October, NCC website)? Maybe they think if they say it enough they will convince us it's true.

• Like 2

I wandered into the library yesterday afternoon as I was eager to see the plans for the Market Place. It was very crowded and very noisy and I couldn't hear myself think. How this was supposed to be an enviroment to meet officials and have a chat was beyond me. There were a few display boards for the public to see but nothing concrete in terms of future plans. I hoped there would be some options laid out with clear suggestions for the future.

There was nothing new if you have followed this story for a while. Maybe I missed some wonderful revelations because I didn't hang about very long. A rather aggitated official looking gentlemen was stating to some members of the public that it was "A myth that Arch are only interested in building houses." I hope the future proves him right but whenever you see mention of then Market Place future, homes and town centre living keep rearing their ugly heads.

My bet is we get a Poundland in Tesco's (Retail option ticked) with a bike stand (Leisure option ticked) surrounded by mass housing. I know I sound cynical but they have earned it.

• 1 month later...

Any word on where this has all got to? According to the brief put forward by Arch via Northern Architecture suggested that timelines are thus :

Programme

Monday 9th November: deadline for submission for stage 1 expressions of interest

Friday 13th November: shortlist notified and stage 2 brief issued

w/c 16th November: shortlisted practices invited to join community representatives for a town walk and discussion.

w/c Monday 7th December: mid-stage design review with the client (Arch Group).

We should have a shortlist of practices based on initial submissions by now... would be nice to know what those qualifying for phase 2 are proposing

• Like 1

12 days ?? is that constitutionally correct?? most organisations have at least 21 days required for submissions.... ho hum

did they mention anything about roadworks??? (as in actually doing anything?) nope thought not

who decided who could be heard and what/who was on the shortlist?

It seems discussions are on going until next March.

Such a long time to decide .

How long until something happens?

This year , next year , sometime , never.

In the mean time I guess our council tax will help pay for the PFI developments in the area and the East Bedlington Initiative.

So much money floating around but nothing for our Front Street .

Just promises ; the never ending story.

Anyone got a manic wand.

We could either go back to the future or anywhere but the present.

Actions speak louder than words.

Maybe the hidden agenda is to allow us all to just give up.

Patience takes on a new meaning in Bedlington.

Come on Dean Jackson help this is an SOS.

Freudian slip manic or magic !

I somehow do not see any manic action happening anytime soon.

Shame on NCC.

Priority should not mean in five years time

Sadly even our ' Bedlington Champion ' seems just a way of prolonging the present situation.

Maybe we are meant to feel we are being listened to but then nowt happens.

Promises are made , we are told it is a priority to deal with the Tesco's site but that means not now.

I feel the consultation programme is just to fill in time.

Why are our Councillors particularly on the County Council not putting forward their ideas.

These could and should include a time scale for immediate action if as they say it is a PRIORITY.

• 1 month later...

If houses are to be built on our car parks, what happens to all the people parking for the Courthouse and associated businesses .

Regeneration will bring many more people to our town.

It would be a shame if the parking becomes critical and people then do not come along to support the planned buisnesses.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now