Bedlington Station - Long Stay Car Park Required?

There could be a line into Ashington (centre of the universe) from Pegswood.

Which Bedlington Councillors could congratulate themselves for that.

It seems to me that there are an awful lot of congratulatory pictures in the papers and social media with no real concrete action.

When when when are we going to see actions speaking louder than words or pictures.

Basically we have heard all these promises but nothing but nothing happens.

The elected members just talk but rarely carry anything through.

Tesco's

Rail line.

Plans for town centre.

The list could go on and on.

All that seems to happen are more plans to take more away from the Front Street .

Chemists to the library.

Pulling the Council Offices down.

We all wait but all promises seem empty of action.

Come on elected members start putting actions before words and pictures.

Give us something to thank you for, not just the promise if things getting better.!

Why would trains not stop at the Station :wtf:

Latest news from tonights meeting Brian, SENRUG the  campaign group  do want  Bedlington Station reopened.  I also got the impression  Ashington  would probably be a priority if County Hall were relocated there,  as Cilla Black would say................   

Surprise Surprise!!  

• Like 2

I may be the one beating a diferent drum here, but I simply can't see just how reopening the line would benefit the greater area of Bedlington; Bedlington Station, of course, but are people from the housing estates in the West End, from The Chesters, and so on, really going to travel to the Station to get a train when they can hop on a bus a couple of minutes walk away? It begs the question - for me at least - who is this proposed railway line aimed at? It's a lovely idea - a romantic one, indeed - but that's really all it is; I just cannot see the purpose when we already have what, from my experience, is a perfectly reliable bus service. Remember also that usage of the line was in terminal decline before it was closed because of the buses and the growth in use of private cars;neither of these have declined and, let's face it, few people are going to swap the convenience of a car outside their front door for a once/twice an hour (correct me if I'm wrong but I can't see it being more than that) rail service. So who, precisely, is going  to use it?

I can see answers along the lines of 'it will bring more people to Bedlington'; again, why would it? There are roads, with buses and cars, and nobody comes here. I prepare to batten down the hatches and await the onslaught, but I am afraid I see it as a colossal white elephant from the Bedlington point of view.

U have no doubt you would, Malcolm, and I can see a few others being attracted to the idea of not having to take the car into Newcastle, for example. Looking at the bigger picture, I just don't see it as a viable concern. The bus, for example, is convenient, regular, and takes me into the centre of the city as I want, from one of many stops around the area. of course, there's the element of cost (which is frankly ridiculous) , but a train won't be cheap either. My point is that most people who have cars will use their cars (they are paying for the privilege, after all) and those who use buses they can catch five minutes from their door will not choose to travel to The Station to catch a train. Of course, I'm being very Bedlington-centric here! On the other hand, if they were to reopen Choppington Station, that would be great. Problem is I can see me being the only user.....

One other thing that struck me is this: many times I've been in places where the SENRUG people have had a stall - I think the last one was possibly at Woodhorn a few years back - and I'vetalked to them about their plans and been impressed. I've also signed the petitions, as the idea of a railway reopening appeals to me on a purely nostalgic and rose-tinted level. When the crunch came, and the station opened, I'd probably jump on for the fun of it. On a regular basis, however, I simply wouldn't use it. How many are like me who have been impressed, signed the papers yet, when it comes down to it, did so - and will do so - for reasons other than practicality? Please understand I'm not trying to be negative - I'm simply being realistic.

Thing is about what Dennis wants is the connectivity it brings.  I could get on a train in Bedlington and be part of the national rail network.  Yes there might be a change or two but much more relaxed travel to any far flung destination.  

Absolutely right, Malcolm, and that is one clear advantage that must be considered. There is, however, this point: I can get a bus to Morpeth and do the same. My concern is solely that too few people would use it to make it viable. I hope I am proven wrong, but not sure I'll still be here when it opens anyway!

• 8 months later...

The story stlli live.

Link posted by John Krzyzanowski on Bygone Bedlington Facebook group

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/plans-major-metro-upgrade-revealed-11613893#ICID=FB-Chron-main

Extract from the article :-

Expansion plans include: 

Newcastle’s West End

A rail extension out of Central Station along the original Newcastle to Carlisle line could head along Scotswood Road to serve Newcastle’s west, while a bridge could then connect the city to the Metrocentre. This would be integrated with the Metro system. Building developments in Gallowgate have greatly reduced any chance of extending the Metro west from St James’ Park.

South east Northumberland

A route north of Northumberland Park would see a rail service restored to Ashington, Bedlington and Blyth, by upgrading a freight only line which terminates at Woodhorn, but could be extended to Newbiggin-by-the-Sea. It passes through Seaton Delaval and Seghill.

NECA says the route would connect with the Metro system at Northumberland Park, and would also join the East Coast Mainline five miles north of Newcastle, leading to Central Station and the possibility of direct services from south east Northumberland to the Metrocentre and Hexham.

Edited by Eggy1948

14 hours ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Seems a bit 'strange' when Morpeth is being pulled as an east coast  train stop!

I know in the 'new' East Coast line franchise agreement, story in the Chronicle - 2014, they were talking about reducing the early morning and late evening stops, and departures, to and from London, but not cancelling all stops at Morpeth :-

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/morpeth-could-lose-rail-services-7020425

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now