Coach Lane

Newbedders

• 3 months later...

With reference to your query about Coach Lane, although I don't know were it was, I remember my dad telling me when he used to deliver papers there when he was a young lad,

• Like 1

There is a Coach Road mentioned in this PDF

The plan shows new and intensive residential development for industrial workers
off Front Street at each end of the town, most likely related to developments at the iron
works and at the new Bedlington „A‟ Pit which opened in 1838, only 5 years before the
map was drawn. Workers terraces and Methodist chapels in Coach Road, Chapel Row
and Walker Terrace were built by the owners of the iron works in the early 1800s,
surprisingly close to their own mansions.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0ahUKEwiGwu_u8qvKAhWIExoKHfDrAnAQFghYMAk&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.northumberland.gov.uk%2Fidoc.ashx%3Fdocid%3Df22033df-2331-497c-9e49-c0fafbf4650c%26version%3D-1&usg=AFQjCNHb15CmS3CACNaGBHngHwDjDzIzew&cad=rja

Coach Lane had a mention on this site March 13 2014 in 'Old Places in Bedlington' when  it was said that "Walker Terrace was on the first left Before going down Bedlington Bank. I Think it stood next to a street called Coach Road. That old big sandstone house for retired clergymen, is it Spring Mount was at the end of the Road".

Following Pete's link above to orthumberland.gov.uk you can find Spring View (not Spring Mount) on the far right of the map at 4.21 - First Edition OS map c1860.

On the Third Edition OS map c 1920 4.30 you can read:

4.37 Although Spring View still survives as a reminder of the Bedlington iron and

engine works, Holly Mount had gone as had workers cottages associated with both

houses, to be replaced by modern housing behind Front Street East and a new

retirement home on the main street itself at the entrance to the old town.

5 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Can't remember having seen a Coach Lane on anything I have looked at. Someone once posted a record from Bedlington Village Infants School - 1914 and that has one pupil living in Coach Road :- 

BEDLINGTON VILLAGE INFANTS SCHOOL RECORDS FOR 1914.jpg

Coach Road is shown in green in the bottom right hand corner of the attached 1897 ordinance plan. The Jonnie Johnson retirement home is shown in yellow

Bedlington about 1897.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, James said:

Coach Road is shown in green in the bottom right hand corner of the attached 1897 ordinance plan. The Jonnie Johnson retirement home is shown in yellow

Cheers James.

26 minutes ago, James said:

Cheers James.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now