Final Vulcan bomber flight

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/11910772/Final-Vulcan-bomber-flight-Crowds-urged-to-stay-away-from-XH558s-farewell.html

vulcan-bomber_3391007b.jpg

I thought the comment "They don't cancel the Notting Hill (stab) Fest because too many people turn up." was amusing.  All part of the modern PC Britain Experience, I suppose.  Why don't they replace the RAF roundels with circles of yellow stars?  Then there'd be oodles of free money to keep it flying! :)

The warnings to stay away from Doncaster are valid, as people have been parking over safety exits and entrances. As for kerping her flying, it's no longer about money. She's exhausted her natural life. I'll be there - where yet I don't know- to bid her farewell this weekend. Just sorry I missed her at Coningsby yesterday in company with seven Spitfires and a pair of Hurricanes

For anyone wishing to see this spectacular, quite extraordinary old girl in flight (note - this is weekend is NOT the final flight, but almost certainly the last time she will be seen in these parts) she is following a path that includes a low level flypast at Newcastle Airport then a straight route approximately following  the A1 with a flypast at Eshott Airfield. I am probably heading to the latter. The details can be found at http://www.vulcantothesky.org/ - no times have been released yet but it will be pm, I will keep you posted. This aircraft was part of my young life, having been built at the airfield close to my childhood home, and it will be an emotional moment to see her for the last time. What is also extraordinary is that the testbed prototype for the Vulcan design - the Avro 707, essentially a third-scale Vulcan - first flew in 1949; think about that - it's just four years after WW2; the Vulcan itself first flew in '52, itself an incredible achievment.

Go and see her; she's worth it.

As of this morning still no times for Vulcan forecast as departure time from Doncaster has not been fixed. She willbe at Newcastle Airport 40minutes after leaving Doncaster, Eshott 5minutes later.

Whoops you didn't tell me you'd Tubed it!  Anyway, I will leave it in the gallery now that it's uploaded here.  Maybe you want to upload some hi-res stills?

For anyone wishing to see this spectacular, quite extraordinary old girl in flight (note - this is weekend is NOT the final flight, but almost certainly the last time she will be seen in these parts) she is following a path that includes a low level flypast at Newcastle Airport then a straight route approximately following  the A1 with a flypast at Eshott Airfield. I am probably heading to the latter. The details can be found at http://www.vulcantothesky.org/ - no times have been released yet but it will be pm, I will keep you posted. This aircraft was part of my young life, having been built at the airfield close to my childhood home, and it will be an emotional moment to see her for the last time. What is also extraordinary is that the testbed prototype for the Vulcan design - the Avro 707, essentially a third-scale Vulcan - first flew in 1949; think about that - it's just four years after WW2; the Vulcan itself first flew in '52, itself an incredible achievment.

Go and see her; she's worth it.

That was quite an era for experimental aircraft, Fairey Delta 1-2 Boulton Paul 110-120, Armstrong Whitworth, Handley Page and lots more, we led the world in aircraft development , swept wing, swing wings, hovercraft , vtol, stol, supersonic, oh well can not live in the past!

You make an interesting point, Vic. That post war period was the absolute heyday of the aviation industry in this country, right through from there until the early 70's. A quick look online lists nine 'aircraft manufacturing  plants' in the UK today, although Warton is listed twice and I'm no convinced Filton is still building anything. There must have been loads back then! I lived very close to one - Avro Woodford, where the Vulcan, among others, was built - and would regularly ride my bike down the farm track  to the perimeter fence and watch all manner of planes coming and going. Great fun in those days!

I think it was in the early fifties, we lived in Wollongong N.S.W. we saw the Vulcan fly over us it was on a round the world non stop flight i can remember it what a sight and sound.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now