Tesco

Daftlad

I might have missed a thread or three on this but since our MP announced that Arch were being appointed to look into the regeneration and/or development of the Tesco site there seems to have been total silence on any progress. Worse still I seem to remember reading that Ashington was getting yet another massive budget of ££££ to develop the high street. Comments anyone?

With the residents of Bedlington about to be served by a second food supermarket (the Co-op), I am sure the powers that be sense no urgency to get cracking on developing the Market Place and doing something positive with the location.

If the Lidl plans get green lighted then I suspect the gap site will be put into cold storage until the inevitable 2028 Bedlington Olympic bid which will be heartbreakingly denied at the last second by the Minister of Sport Ian Lavery confirming Ashington being the selected host.

If the Lidl plans get green lighted then I suspect the gap site will be put into cold storage until the inevitable 2028 Bedlington Olympic bid which will be heartbreakingly denied at the last second by the Minister of Sport Ian Lavery confirming Ashington being the selected host.

No doubt with the full backing of our County Councillors.

Lots could be achieved.

I still have not seen any plans presented by the Council or County Council.

I know the people of Bedlington are being consulted but this should not be an excuse for our elected representatives to do nowt.

Basically they could show us what they think could be achieved on this individual and unique historical site.

Recently in Birmingham we were impressed by a new Library..

Multi levels , roof gardens etc and the blue print could easily fit into our market place.

It could even achieve sea views.

Retail opportunities could include a hotel , leisure facilities , shops even library and a theatre.

Come on Councillors and County Councillors apply for funding and impress us all by your commitment to Bedlington .

No excuses no barbed comments about the residents show us you care passionately about our town and yours.

A historic centre worth celebrating and working for today and tomorrow.

post-2999-0-20027300-1442311815_thumb.jp

...pauls comment is interesting.

It means that the consultation is NOT reaching some people.

The extremely hard working 'Make a Noise Group' have been at most Bedlington events recently asking people to help.

They have been collecting opinions and now have over 2,000 on line followers.

There is even a Terrier Blog.

This site has been involved in commenting on the Bedlington Question.

Obviously the old idea is /was that the Councillors and County Councillors should be available and accessible to the people who voted

for them.

Maybe they need to be proactive and make more of their views available to the people of Bedlington.

That way opinions can be expressed in the light of what can and cannot be achieved.

Local press have carried some information but maybe not enough.

The Core Strategy has been in the planning stages for a long time and have had meetings at the Community Centre and the Council Offices.

If people missed these events, I wonder how people like ...paul could be informed and allowed to be involved.

If all this has been missed by people in Bedlington , the question really is :-

How do our elected members get more people involved.

For me ,as I have said ,the councillors and county councillors could /should all make it clear what they see as their own individual plans for the town.

Over to you ..paul

How should things be done.

Those of us who are getting on in years and dont drive have one hell of a treck walking from Millfield to Morrisons to buy a few suppies, then climbing  back up the Glebe  bank with bags of shopping is enough to give an oldin a wobbler.

Why are all the food shops at one end of the town,surely Lidle would be better of building its store in the centre of town  on the waste land next to the old fancy that shop in the cut at the market place, our end of town has nowt.     

Not sure about that.

attachicon.gifns063.jpg

they enquired about knocking the building down but were told among other things that the chimney pots on top of the coop building were listed/of historical interest...the original presto building behind the 70s façade was listed plus the old spend and save dated back to 1850s .......which to honest most people in Bedlington myself included couldn't give a toss about if Tesco had built the original store and surrounding shops

So a big thanks to the council for f.....g it up completely  

• 2 weeks later...
Over to you ..paul
How should things be done.

Sorry - it may be that I misinterpreted that comment.. I'm aware of the Make A Noise campaign but I was thinking more of the council/Arch etc consulting with local people.

I read all the stories about great strides forward in terms of buying the site and that they were going to consult with local people to determine the way forward. I've not had anything drop through my letter box or seen anything in the local paper or online from the people actually in charge asking for people's opinions.

I was kind of hoping by now to have seen some options for developing the site from the owners, or even a request for suggestions. Maybe I've missed it, but nobody from Bedlington that I know has heard of any consultation exercises.

Maybe I just move in the wrong circles.

Tescos closed in April and the site was sold around Julyish. I would have thought that although plans don't come together overnight, we would have heard something as we head into October. It's been nearly 3 months and no members of the public seem to have been consulted. If consultation is followed by plans and then planning permission and then the inevitable planning protest and then building work, we may have something by 2020. So please get a move on.

I seem to recall a couple of months ago that the plans would included leisure, retail and homes and that they wanted to revitalise the Market Place and they would encourage town centre living. So a lot more housing it seems with a bit of retail and a smidgeon of leisure. Homes, homes, homes........ nothing changes.

In answer to  Musicmusic,     Nothing will change while we have our elected County Councillors either missing,  telling us there's no money tree at the bottom of the high street, or campaigning  for investment into a neighbouring town.. They were elected to represent us and are not doing that,  so  what can we do? Take a look at this weeks readers letters in the News Post Leader, it appears the only people who are happy with what we've got are those very councillors who attempt to justify NCC's actions. They have forgotten who put them in office but the moneys good if they toe the party line.They also like a jibe at the Make a Noise for Bedlington group, hopefully the very people who can  vote them out at the next opportunity. Both NCC and our County Councillors  visit this site but they elect not to respond .Wish we had an MP we could turn to.  

Get rid of the council and Mr Lavery who appears to do nothing for Bedlington - perhaps the Labour party has lost it's way. Time for a complete change me thinks! - who agrees

• Like 3

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now