Sign in to follow this  
Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Netherton (Naval) Club - for Cympil's collection

Cympil - an ex Netherton Village lad, James Lee Aynsley, has given me use of, and to share, his two photos of the old Naval club, no date when they were taken. As you have an album - Bedlington & Netherton thought you might want to add these two in.

Anybody have contact with the member named 'Carole' that has a 'Netherton/Nedderton old photos' album? The system shows her last active on the site August 2011 as I thnk these two photos should also be in her album.

post-3031-0-68658400-1440515332_thumb.jp

post-3031-0-52644000-1440515343_thumb.jp

Threegee - can these 2 photos of the old Naval Club be added to the album 'Netherton/Nedderton old photos' created by Carole

I've just posted another old Netherton photo - Netherton Dining Centre 1921. If I was to trawl through all the Netherton postings and add all the photos into one posting could they be added into Carole's Album - Netherton/Nedderton - or Cymbil's album - Bedlington & Netherton Old Photos rather than scattered throughout many postings?

Why don't you start a Netherton album yourself, Eggy.

That's what I was starting to think but only because there would appear to be no alternative.

Just thought that if they were added to an existing album, created by an ex resident of Netherton, a more comprehensive picture in one place would be better. Apart from the fact that I always knew Netherton existed the only link for this lad from 'the Oval area' of Bedlington, my only association with Netherton would be that a couple of times, whilst cycling to the conker trees in Nedderton and then the blind home along Clifton Lane, out of pure curiosity I had cycled along the Netherton Lane to see what was at the other end.

What would a Young lad not do to get his hands on a decent conker!! Well your visit seems seems to have made a lasting impression! At least you remember the name of the place.

When you say Clifton Lane do you mean Clifton Row? I can't remember any blind home there or anywhere else in Netherton but I Think there was a deaf school at Nedderton Village..

I've also been wondering about the 'Naval Club'. Was it not the 'Ex - Naval Club'? I remember the Word Naval in the name but have never been able to find any naval links to Netherton.

What would a Young lad not do to get his hands on a decent conker!! Well your visit seems seems to have made a lasting impression! At least you remember the name of the place.

When you say Clifton Lane do you mean Clifton Row? I can't remember any blind home there or anywhere else in Netherton but I Think there was a deaf school at Nedderton Village..

I've also been wondering about the 'Naval Club'. Was it not the 'Ex - Naval Club'? I remember the Word Naval in the name but have never been able to find any naval links to Netherton.

We just new it as the Blind Home and only this year a road sign has been sited at the entrance to the lane. It is through Nedderton; turn right and head for Morpeth; pass the Stannington turn off; pass what was the Thomas Taylor (or was it Monar Taylor!) buildings on the left and before you get to the Hepscott turn off there is a left turn up a tree lined road to what we knew as the Blind Home. 

post-3031-0-09899000-1446639149_thumb.jp

'Ex - Naval Club' rings a bell Canny Lass but couldn't swear to it.

Now I know what you mean! You're referring to the Nicholas Garrow Home for the blind. Nothing to do with Netherton. Thomas Taylor Homes (Part 3 accomodation - probably called something else these Days) and Mona Taylor (Maternity Hospital) shared the same entrance and grounds. The Maternity hospital was behind the Thomas Taylor Homes.

Now I know what you mean! You're referring to the Nicholas Garrow Home for the blind. Nothing to do with Netherton. Thomas Taylor Homes (Part 3 accomodation - probably called something else these Days) and Mona Taylor (Maternity Hospital) shared the same entrance and grounds. The Maternity hospital was behind the Thomas Taylor Homes.

There you go, The Nichols Garrow Home for the bind had buried itself under my conker tree brain bank! At the age of 12-15 it was the best place, ie the biggest conkers and loads of 'cheesers', that we knew of and naturally at that age the fact that the residents couldn't see us was perfect. We never knew it was a home for the blind when we first went so we used to hide behind the garden walls, behind the cooking apple tree. Ages before we realised and stopped hiding.

Cheeser = conker with flat side - result of two conkers in the shell

post-3031-0-99681000-1446646179_thumb.jp