Netherton - aerial photo

Canny lass - Joan Morland says :-"The last time I saw her was at St Mary's Hospital give her my regards"

and she gave 3 more names for the photo

28 Murial Marsh

33 Lillian Turnbull

38 Margaret Morton

photo updated

post-3031-0-82490100-1447015605_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Netherton Colliery School 1950s - Bygone Bedlington site  - 4 more names, George Armstrong - Eric Johnson - Dereck Young ? - Brian Curry added by Geprge Armstrong. One name from Eileen Owen, not added, that she thinks could be one of the girls is Isobel Bowman (Brian Moor & Isobel Bowmen were her cousins).

post-3031-0-80770700-1452348604_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Canny Lass - update to the aerial photo + info - based on additional info bluebarby sent me.

I have not added the updated version into the Gallery yet. Unlike the old version of this site photos in the Gallery can't be deleted by members. When I have finsihed all the updates I will get Admin to delete the redundant photos from the album in :- Historic Bedlington - Netherton/Nedderton old photos 2.  

Update Village map with text.jpg

• 8 months later...
On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 08:20, Canny lass said:

Nice photo eggy. May I take a copy for personal use?

A - First Street

B - Second Street

C - Plessey Street

D - Third Street

All house numbers running from 1 left to 25 right in the picture

E . Netherton Institute

F -  The Chapel (Methodist, I think but not 100% sure). Not in use during my time. It was ownwd by Bill Mullen (Redhouse farm area) and used for his Haulage Contraction Business The area behind it is the football field.

G - Netherton Infant's School

H - Blue House Farm - better known as Fail's farm (owner Geordie Fail)

I - Depends when the photo was taken. The long building could be a row of new houses built in the ?50s but the "store" (Cooperative Wholesale Society) was here as well.

J - Netherton Pit

K - Netherton Working Men's Club

L - A Chapel (denomination not known), unused as such in my lifetime. Was owned by the Bell family of Third Street who used it as a pig "farm". (Discussed somewhere else on this site).

M - Waste ground. There were rumours that there had been Another row of houses here and there was a lot of rubble under the grass. Strangely, it was skirted by a pavement on it's left-hand side, so possibly there had been houses.

There was one more Chapel in Netherton - the Weslyan Chapel. It was still  in use. It's the larger building seen to the left of A and in a direct line NW of L.

Hope this helps.

i think I was the pit baths

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now