SuperGroups

Ovalteeny

I think you've set the bar a little high there. That lot include Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper. It's like my twentieth century hall of fame. To be much better it would have to include a few folk that had already died when that was recorded. Cheers Ovalteeny I'm now going to watch the rest of the concert on YT.

Smudge & Foxy, I came across it via Steve Croppers Facebook Page. When I saw it I thought wow, I wasn't even aware that such a concert had occurred. By the way, a couple of years ago I went to The Playhouse in Alnwick to see John Steele's Animals with special guest - Steve Cropper. So there we are in Alnwick, a couple of hundred locals turning up to see a couple of guys who had been in The Animals (plus a couple of able Dep's), then at the start of the second half of the show they bring out The Colonel. It was spine tingling, fascinating, as he took a few minutes before each number to explain how he wrote each song with Otis Redding or Eddie Floyd et al. It is in my Top 10 gigs of all time. Privileged and grateful.

By the way Smudge & Foxy, do either of you know who the guitarist was/is in the green suit, acting as MD in this video.

I believe he could be G.E. Smith, who was Dylans lead guitarist for several years, but I saw him first with Hall & Oates at the Oxford Apollo in 1982/83 and he impressed me with his playing then. Can either of you confirm my guess?

• 10 months later...

Quite simple, the Band was put together for one special performance at the 1987 Grammys.

If you look at the musicians behind the featured, front-line singers & players you'll see the likes of Ry Cooder.

• 3 months later...

Here's another one to watch out for - Wintergatan (The Milky way)!

Totally blown away by what this local group has to offer! Watched a 1½ hour live show at Göteborgs kulturkalas (Gothenburg Culture Festival)) last night. The marble machine (Google it, if haven’t already seen it) wasn’t on stage. Apparently there are too many problems with dried out elastic bands and escaping marbles but a new machine is in the making that will be able to withstand the trials and tribulations of being ‘on-tour’. I look forward to that!

They’ve just started touring outside of Sweden – Germany earlier this year – but keep an eye out for them.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now