Gully

According to Merriam-webster the first known use as a knife was from 1582, and the first known use as a ditch, or water course, etc. is from 1637.  Origin: "probably alteration of Middle English golet ravine, throat".

Origin of gullet

Middle English golet, from Old French goulet, from goule, throat, from Latin gula. (The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th edition)

maybe a hybrid?? a very large kitchen knife and throat? could it be down to the pig killing at end of the year? have a listen to the national archive of audio recordings re the pig killing and other things which are fascinating

Gruesome Reading 3g - except for Sanson's operating of the device "in dead earnest". That caused a chuckle but perhaps I have a warped sense of humour. It's no coincidence that the doctor's name was Guillotin. That was his real name and the Word guillotine is an eponymous construction - just like watt, wellington, stetson and volt. Even though the device was around long before the good doctor revolutionised legal murder, by making it more humane, it wasn't called a guillotine until the late 18th Century in honour of his work.

Sorry for not making myself clear.  I meant a coincidence between the Latin gula (derived French goulet) and the surname Guillotin.  I sort of imagined that the Dr may have had gully or similar manufacture in his family line and was simply expanding the family franchise!  :D  OK, not a perfect match, but close enough to wonder.

Thanks for eponymous; I was groping for the word, but in the moment it escaped me!  :book:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now