The Meaning of Lidl? - Discuss

Here  it means reduced prices on basic Foods and work for swedish nationals with immigrant background. Price reductions are found not only in Lidl's but in all the other supermarket chains, who for years have charged extortionate prices because "quality costs"  and "quality means Swedish". Since the arrival of Lidl, Three or four years ago, the Swedes have learned that quality products can have many countries of origin and that "foreign" is not necessarily synonymous with "bad".  The result being that the leading supermarket chains have been forced to stock a lower cost variety of almost everything. Over the last few years the number of Swedish Products has been noticeably reduced - they are not Selling.

Fruit and vegetables, while the selection may be small, are Always of high quality in Lidls. They are delivered Daily. OK their bananas may not be as "curvy" as their competitors and their peppers can come in all shapes and sizes but what does that matter if your planning on cutting them up into smaller pieces? The taste is the same, the colour is the same, the nutritional value is the same. It's only the price that's different.

On the employment front they've given some  immigrant families a chance to be free from the shackles of the benefit system. Believe me it's not all immigrants who want benefits. The men in particular regain a sense of pride that's really noticeable once they start providing for their family again. Wonderful to see.!!

Now, why Lidl appears to employ a large proportion of the immigrant population (here at least - I can't speak for other countries) I do not know. The wage seems to be the same as in the other supermarket chains. The workers are affiliated to a union - if they wish to be, and the hours are the same.

I agree with most of what you say, but here in Italy I find the fruit and veg do not stay fresh for as long as those bought at other supermarkets.  Fine if you are going to use straight away, or are prepared to shop every day, but not if you want to keep them for a few days.  On the employment front, at least in our local Lidl, they only seem to employ Italians, and believe me we are getting a lot of immigrants at the moment.

I do do the vast majority of my shopping at Lidl, but then again it is less than 2km away.

Edited by ex Bedlingtonian

All great stuff, but I was searching for something more profound.  Anyway, after several days deep thought I now have the answer to the meaning Lidl, the Universe and everything.  The answer is:.

Thought it was 42 GGG?

It is!  Clearly the profundity of thought transcended even the more intelligent reader.  So, I apologise for my solo tripette into the realm of human perceptions.  Note to self: Do not start topics concerning any example of "modern art".

By way of redress I offer this home-spun philosophical alternative, ya all:  (With apologies to Mrs Gump Snr.)

Lidl is like a shared box of chocolates: by the time you decide what you really want - it's all gone!

• 2 months later...

I wonder if this thread contributed to their recent decision to open a store here :)

Its actully the second time they will have opened a store here,

Morrisons when originally built was a Lidle store, it then became Netos and is now Morrisons.

I do think it will be a shame if the giant weeping willow tree in front of the day centre is cut down.  

If Lidl build store next to Morrison's I think it would end the chances of another food retailer taking over old Tesco site. We can only hope Morrison's consider moving...but that would only happen if they got the Tesco building for free or the council did full repairs on building and then sold it to them.

If they stay put it will major traffic with both shops in same place

I prefer the meaning of life .

Maybe along the lines of

The meaning of life lies with each other grandparents parents sisters and brothers.

Obviously friends add to that mix particularly if you are an only one.

Sorry to lower/raise the tone but there have been three deaths to cope with this week.

The News Post Leader for the 20 th August carries a front page photo of Grant Davey , Alyson Wallace and Val Tyler in front of the day centre.

The basis of the headline is 'Jobs Boost for county as store lines up new sites.

It seems 'Up to 50 posts will be created at two shops with proposals for more to come'.

The problem is the plans are yet to be submitted.

They are said to be submitted in the coming weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Its actully the second time they will have opened a store here,

Morrisons when originally built was a Lidle store, it then became Netos and is now Morrisons.

I do think it will be a shame if the giant weeping willow tree in front of the day centre is cut down.

This is my main concern.

I'm not a 'tree-hugger,' but I know beauty when I see it, and to destroy a beautiful tree for something as insignificant as a shop is bloody sacrilege.

A short while ago they cut down the trees in front of Moby Dick's just to improve parking for a load of gym-nasties who should be WALKING or JOGGING to the gym, not taking their cars. Lazy b...............!

Edited by webtrekker
  • Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now