Be afraid, be very afraid.

Maggie,a shudder to think about that![predictive text etc!!]

Probably make D.H.Lawrence look like a Mills and B. writer!!

Thanks for your kind words also,very much appreciated!

Sym,sorry aboot digressing,a like ti keep the entertainment light sometimes!

"Woh Neddy"cries Wilma as he's caught galloping through the tunnels.  GGG (get it?) won't be pleased that an employee of a nationalised industry wasn't bent under the lash of the bosses mantra, 'Tote that barge, Lift that bale', but just taking a moment off from his toil (just a joke G).

• 2 weeks later...

reminds me of the USA in WWII - they used native American indian speakers on the radio as encryption wasn't about then and no-one could understand them -- far better than code - maybe the Mike Nevile and George House books on 'larn yasel goerdie' should be made compulsory in schools - and herself has a huge problem with spellchucker !!! - when she does her circulars for cub camps etc  every time she types in wellies it changes it to willies!!!! (although spell chucker shreds decent English and makes it all American anyway!)

(that was me having a rant)

I remember in the early days of the internet, a time long, long ago, when the systems for censorship of certain words were not as efficient as they are now, it was common to find websites that would not allow you to type 'Scunthorpe'.

In South Yorkshire there is a town called Penistone.

We like a musician called Ron Sexsmith.

Where could censorship begin and end?

A friend had the surname of 'Bogg' and changed his surname on having kids.

In the NE it is popular to use 'B----er' but many people believe that the term started as 'Begger Off'.

These people being a burden on the local town.

The interesting thing is who and why people regard certain words as offensive.

The American comedian Lenny Bruce had his own spin on the use of certain words.

NWA is again perhaps a stab at changing attitudes.

In the past we all described a dark brown colour in a certain way that would now be offensive.

Should we reclaim the word 'Gay' for being just 'Happy'.

So many points where we can agree to disagree with censorship.

Predictive text can be hilarious when you are not taking care .

I guess we have to maintain our sense of humour.

maybe we need a Geordie version - although that is the wrong version of spellchucker  (Maggie - totally agree with you on the hijacking of words such as gay) - I recall a very serious crown court case where the senior officer was asked to describe the terrain - he looked at the barrister and being a north Northumbrian -- said terrain? bonny lad?? its a forest -- there's no terrains there...............

the Obama vids over last few days are worth looking at -- re the N word -- nope I should have said nigger - as in brown  - lets not shy away from what words mean in view of their perceived meanings - that only leads to discordance 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i note that this thread started on about NHS and Ashington Hospital -- i recall men brought in from the pit with fingers off sitting in casualty waiting for a couple of hours before they were seen. Having had dealings with both the Freeman and Ashington hospitals over the last 2+years because of illnesses in my mother it was a remarkable difference -- Freeman - I rang and was able to speak to the surgeons secretary. She told me he was in surgery but would leave him a message. The professor rang me back within 15 mins and arranged an admittance 2 days later. I was dealt with courteously and personally at all times and when visiting was often spoken to about the progress of my mother by the surgeons. That was in the December, in the February another serious illness and admission to Wansbeck - try getting to speak to a doctor, never mind anyone that can or will give you any actual information. In 10 weeks the lift was out of action, which would have led to the closure of any other establishment, also broken equipment was left in corridors for the whole length of that time. Interesting that they still insist of putting high dependency and non ambulatory patients on upper floors when the lift is out of order - fire is a bad example as the response will always be - don't use lifts in a fire, but what else do you do?

Interesting that Pilgrim. I have cause to attend the Freeman often. The service there is stunning. On moving back here, 22 years hence, my consultant at Manchester Royal Infirmary told me he was transferring my records to the Freeman, and on no account was I to let the Wansbeck near my ears!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now