The life of a NUFC fan today

http://thesetpieces.com/features/pieces-hate-geordie-bashers/

As for the idea that Newcastle fans have ideas above their station or any kind of sense of entitlement, that's a real head scratcher. The obvious conclusion is that the people who say this sort of thing have never, ever been to Newcastle or spoken to anyone from the city. If they have been to Newcastle, perhaps they had a bad time on a stag night. Perhaps they were one of the southerners who jumps off the train, shouts, "Why Aye, Spuggy!” at every redhead and then gets headbutted on the Bigg Market before midnight. It's as good an explanation as any.

Brett, well spotted, a very reasonable synopsis of the whole, sad situation.

When my son was 3 years old (he's 27 now) he pleaded with me for a Black & White shirt in August 1991, I warned him that it had to be for life, that he couldn't ever change his club, that it would be a lifetime of disappointment and misery with maybe a few "up's" but many, many "downs". I bought us both a shirt on that day. He still supports The Toon, but currently seems more interested in Bury getting promoted!!!!

Welcome to the world of the Toon supporter ... much promised, little delivered.  A lifetime of ups and downs (and in my case since 1964).  But, but, but, it could be worse ... yep, being a mackem has to be worse.  I know success is cyclical, however thin the meager gruel might be at the Toon, but just image having to tramp over to that wretched tin shed on the banks of the fetid Wear every fortnight.

I keep telling my Mackem acquaintances that The Toon will be relegated along with the "Lucky Black Cats" just so we can let them have another 6 points next season. Although, mathematically & realistically, it's looking like only one of us can go down, so let's continue to pray that it's them and not us.

• 4 months later...

I keep telling my Mackem acquaintances that The Toon will be relegated along with the "Lucky Black Cats" just so we can let them have another 6 points next season. Although, mathematically & realistically, it's looking like only one of us can go down, so let's continue to pray that it's them and not us.

Déjà vu,  is the NUFC & SAFC phenomenon of having the strong sensation that an event or experience currently being experienced, has already been experienced in the past, whether it has actually happened or not. Déjà vu is caused by erroneous familiarity and déjà vécu (the feeling of having "already lived through" something) by erroneous recollection.

Scientific approaches reject the explanation of déjà vu as NUFC  or SAFC prophecy, but rather explain it as an anomaly of memory, which creates a distinct impression that an experience is "being recalled".This explanation is supported by the fact that the sense of "recollection" at the time is strong in most cases, but that the circumstances of the "previous" experience (when, where, and how the earlier experience occurred) are certain and believed to be possible. Two types of déjà vu are suggested to exist: the pathological type of déjà vu usually associated with pure ignorance and the non-pathological which is a characteristic of healthy people and psychological phenomenon knowing they have been there before.

A 2004 survey concluded that approximately two-thirds of the NE population have had déjà vu experiences. Other studies confirm that déjà vu is a common experience in healthy individuals, with between 31% and 96% of individuals reporting it. Déjà vu experiences that are unusually prolonged or frequent, or in association with other symptoms such as hallucinations, may be an indicator of neurological or psychiatric illness OR just part of growing up in the North East.

Absolutely Deja Vu, all over again.

But it's not all bad news for me.

I just thank my lucky stars that I had Sergio Aguero as captain in my Fantasy Football team. 

I dropped Aguero from my Fantasy Premier League team as they had him down as only 70% likely to play! Thought they would rest him as no matter what team they turned out we would get thumped. Dropped over 400,000 places after this weeks results! 

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't going to go to the "Club" to watch, I thought I'll just ignore it and wait till it's over. BUT, I couldn't stay away and i belatedly got to the club just before half time. Just in time to see Colocinni barge Fletcher over and reduce us to 10 men and a goal down. I bought a pint and then tortured myself throughout the 2nd half. Lucky Black Cats, again we made it easy for them. Once the 3rd. goal went in I just emptied my glass and buggered off home, which is where I should have stayed all along.

Will I (we) ever learn.

Apparently not. 

When do we play Norwich again?

Edited by Ovalteeny

• 5 months later...

My prediction is we still go down with Villa & Norwich. Can't see us getting more than 35 points.

Would prefer us to stay up but as I think we won't then would prefer Norwich to stay so we can still have two derby matches next season.

SFC better goal difference than us so :-

NUFC                            SFC                                  Norwich

23-24/4/16              Liverpool v NUFC          SFC v Arsenal                    -

30/04/2016             NUFC v C. Palace         Stoke v SFC                      Arsenal v Norwich

07/05/2016             A. Villa v NUFC             SFC v Chelsea                  Norwich v Man U

11/05/2015                                                  SFC v Everton                  Norwich v Watford

15/05/2016            NUFC v Spurs               Watford v SFC                  Everton v Norwich

Current Points          29                                      30                                        31

My guess

after last game =     35                                      35                                        34

SFC have better goal difference so they stay up.    :(

Nice analysis Eggy.

My heart hopes you're wrong but my head says you are probably right.

Those 2 extra points last night might have made all the difference.

Getting anything at Anfield will be difficult, but irony sometimes plays a big part in such sporting events, with Rafa returning to Scouseland.

Mathematically there is still hope and while there's still hope there's still a possibility.

your sincerely, "the external optimist" 

• 3 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now