closed shops

rosco

Lived in bedlington since 1990 and started thinking how many shops have closed since then.....William low,Tait's cafe,car parts shop next to Tait's,Forrester's,jewellers shop,women's dress shop,Lloyd's,HSBC,Barclay's,mercantile universal,northern rock,dry cleaners and the shop next door,spend and save,coop dept,northern electric,British gas,Johnsons shoe shop,the video den,Halifax e/a,shell garage,ford garage,lighting shop and that's just the ones I can remember.....in there place we have a few decent replacements,houses/flats.....but how many takeaways nail/hairdressers/beauty shops do we need

Don't get me wrong almost any replacement is welcome but you can see a decline in quality.To be fair a large chunk of the closed shops etc are a result of online/shopping habits

Almost forgot 3 public toilet blocks

As a final note I see the shoe shop is opening as a fireplace shop

Edited by rosco

I believe there used to be a restriction on shutters on the Front Street at some point. The decline in the quality of the facilities on the street may have coincided with this restriction being lifted. Zuenziga when it was next to the post office was the first I noticed.

Perhaps Malcolm could enlighten us re the 'car parts shop next to Tait's' on Glebe Road which has been shuttered up for some time.

If I recall correctly the shutter restriction is still in place as part of the conservation area guidance but it calls for internally mounted shutter boxes not the restriction of shutters themselves.

I walked past Tesco's today and there was a racket going on inside. The front doors were open and the checkouts were still in place. I prseume the workers were stripping the shop parts rather than fitting for a new business.

• 4 months later...

If I recall correctly the shutter restriction is still in place as part of the conservation area guidance but it calls for internally mounted shutter boxes not the restriction of shutters themselves.

There appears to be external shutters being fitted to the front of the Blue Bell aka Astons Bar this morning. Can't wait to see what they look like when they are finished!

This is the time for our County Councillors to step up to the mark.

If the blinds /shutters are not allowed then they will be working on our behalf.

Maybe I am being naive but surely that is exactly why they represent our interests and our town.

One small step in the right direction.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There is a Shopfront Design Guide for Bedlington from October 2007 that states the following: Shopfront security measures have significant potential to harm the character and appearance of the conservation area, both in terms of roller boxes and the visual impact of grilles and shutters when down. This is particularly true of measures added to existing shopfronts at a later date, as the two are then not designed in harmony. The District Council adopted guidance on this issue for Bedlington Conservation Area in 1998 (see Appendix B ). Link to the full document is below the photograph. 

post-3168-0-13680000-1443133490_thumb.jp

Edited by Bedlingtonian

And thanks from me too! A very interesting document. There appears to have been a great deal of forethought and planning with regard to Front Street and I personally feel that this is a significant part of the way forward for Bedlington. The town has a great history which could be used to advantage if everybody pulls together to make it happen.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but has anyone else been in The Craft HIve, at the top end of Front Street? Not much in there for me, I must admit,  but went in with mother and have to commend the ladies who run it for putting together a very pleasantly laid out shop with a friendly attitude (loved the coffee machine at the back) and a truly eclectic and interesting selection of goods on offer.Different, inviting and worthy of success - more like this please, it's what the town needs. Examples of people trying something like this should be highlighted (and I'll take this moment also to promote one local to me, the very wonderful Post Box Cafe in Choppington; if you're passing and hungry go in - you won't find a better bacon sandwich or enjoy a full breakfast in more pleasant surroundings and at great prices!)

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but has anyone else been in The Craft HIve, at the top end of Front Street? Not much in there for me, I must admit,  but went in with mother and have to commend the ladies who run it for putting together a very pleasantly laid out shop with a friendly attitude (loved the coffee machine at the back) and a truly eclectic and interesting selection of goods on offer.Different, inviting and worthy of success - more like this please, it's what the town needs. Examples of people trying something like this should be highlighted (and I'll take this moment also to promote one local to me, the very wonderful Post Box Cafe in Choppington; if you're passing and hungry go in - you won't find a better bacon sandwich or enjoy a full breakfast in more pleasant surroundings and at great prices!)

My missus and a few of her friends have visited the Craft Hive five or six times. Great that people are trying new things but my only doubt is how often will people visit - if its once per month is that sustainable?

My missus and a few of her friends have visited the Craft Hive five or six times. Great that people are trying new things but my only doubt is how often will people visit - if its once per month is that sustainable?

I know there are a lot of 'crafty' people around these days, but most I have met like to sell their efforts and the only way to turn a profit is to source the cheapest materials, which 99% of the time means surfing the net and not visiting craft shops.

I applaud the folk at the Craft Hive for giving it a go, but I feel that many will look, but not buy, then order the same, or similar items, from the net at knock-down prices. It's a hard game these days.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now