Anyone work in the mines with my dad LEMBIT ROHUMAA?!

Hi everyone, 

New here and have lost my accent - born in Morpeth and now living in the south where my late father retired.

His name was LEMBIT ROHUMAA  and he died in 2009 at the age of 83, a good age for an ex-miner!

I'm really interested just for my own sake to find out if anyone knew him when he was a miner - I know he was a miner from about 1948 to middle of the sixties at Ashington and Bedlington - maybe Choppington?. He said how kind and friendly people were to him, he was grateful to be alive and loved the humour and Newcastle Brown etc!  and they were some of the happiest memories even though the work must have been tough.....

A few clues:  he came here from Estonia after being in a displaced person's camp after the war and was in a terrible state when he arrived. He was 6ft 2, and big and strong probably with a thick accent, probably a bit quiet,  and might have been know as Len (since the name is a mouthful!)

And he was 'adopted' by a local family who took him in as lodger, fed him and who subsequently became part of an extended geordie family - Their good humour and kindness kept him alive and I will be eternally in their debt.  Such great people up there!!!

I'm just here to find out if anyone knew him, has any remembrances of him or any info on what he did in the mines as I am very interested in that time and history  (wished I'd asked more about it) .

Liisa

Check out your introductory post,Liisa.

Hope somebody else can help you as well.

The Lone Ranger,also worked at the High Pit,and knew your Dad,but he is like the Scarlet Pimpernel......[heh heh,just joking Brian!!]

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now